Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
bungeecork

Model: 8310
Carrier: AAPT
Default Exchange Device CALs and Blackberry Devices

Please Login to Remove!

bes-admin-corner/153796-cal-license.html

The above thread (now closed) had details from Microsoft regarding SQL CALs.

I'm wondering about Exchange Device CALs. I understand that Device CALs are unusual for Exchange these days, but firms in the middle of a Microsoft EA cannot change from Device to User CALs until the end of their agreement.

Almost any internet computer on the planet can connect to OWA, but none of these computers are considered to be devices for the purposes of Microsoft Exchange device CAL licensing.

Am I right in thinking that - for a company with a BES and with Microsoft Exchange device CALs - a Blackberry using BIS can email to/from the Exchange server with no extra Microsoft license requirement, but if that same Blackberry used BES to email to/from the same server then a Microsoft device CAL is required?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

I'm not a licensing expert, and you should contact whomever you purchase your licenses from to confirm this ... but BIS <-> Exchange would still require a CAL ... its a mailbox and its a user accessing the mailbox; even though its via a proxy with BIS.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
bungeecork

Model: 8310
Carrier: AAPT

Thanks hdawg.

I can understand BIS <-> Exchange requiring a User Cal, but what if the License Agreement was device based? How is a Blackberry using BIS to connect to OWA different from an Internet Cafe computer connecting to OWA?
Closed Thread