BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 04:28 AM   #1
managerxxx

Model: 7730
Default Where is the data stored?

Please Login to Remove!

Been having trouble upgrading from SP1 to SP2 (and SP3) on BES 4 for Exchange (2003 Sp2). After upgrading I go in to the managers console and at the top/server level I see the statistics for total number of emails, users, etc but when I click on the server I don't see the individual users.

The windows event log complains about an invalid column name in the SQL DB so I tried to re-create a new DB from scratch. However even after creating a brand new DB on a different SQL server BES still seems to know about the Blackberry users on our system (even after removing the server from the control panel!!).

So - where is this info coming from as I think that this may be the cause of my upgrade issues?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
LAW
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100g

BlackBerry creates hidden folders in the users' Exchange mailboxes which hold the encryption key, wireless PIN, and possibly other information, so unless you choose "remove the data from the user's mailbox" when you delete a user from BlackBerry, that information stays to be read another day.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:07 PM   #3
BaronVonBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

More specifically, the BES Admin account has it's own mailbox, and I believe that it stores (among other things) the overall list of users for the BES. Have you perhaps created a new admin account?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:33 PM   #4
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

managerxxx:

The issue you experienced with the users not being displayed was noted by others on the forum as a known issue (due to a botched DB upgrade). That being said, I would recommend using your original Database and contacting RIM for the resolution to your users being missing.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:19 AM   #5
managerxxx

That makes sense. I did some more tests and still have the same issue. I have tried creating a new DB using the GUI but the problem still persists - it looks like it simply copied the existing DB into the new DB/location - is this correct? I also tried creating a new user on the SP3 install (even though I couldn't see the existing users) and I get the message about making sure I have permission on the exchange server etc. Also when trying to refresh I get the unable to connect to DB error (even though the test DB connection in the config manager works OK).

Will try and hunt out the posts regarding the botched DB upgrade.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:07 AM   #6
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Creating a new DB through the Server Config Utility does not move the existing database.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:54 AM   #7
managerxxx

Thanks BBTECHGUY - this is the one thing that I needed to confirm my suspicions.

Have finally solved this issue:

Clean installed 4.0 and pointed to original (corrupted?) DB

Moved DB to new location and amended the perms so the Blackberry Service account could access it.

This time the DB was void of any existing users so I imported them in and managed to upgrade to SP3, HF1 and HF2.

All OK so far.

Thanks again.
Closed Thread