BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
MICP1480
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Lets Roll Up Our Sleeves, Check It Out?

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, first I have the blackberry 8330. Just checked out the Tour today, and I have to say that I wasn't too overly impressed. Upgraded internal memory, HD screen, and a better camera, is not worth me having to lay out sveral hundred dollars. I want to know why is it that whoever is behind the development of these Blackberry's, are unable to design a phone where the Media Card is NOT a Media Card, but a Memory Card. I know so many including myself who want applications that are useful to us, but because these applications are memory hungry,and go on to the internal memory of the Blackberry, can only mean one thing, slow the system down. A Verizon Manager and I were having this discussion, and his answer was to delete the programs you truly don't want. I thought this was the greatest answer ever, sacrifice a program to use a program. Should be on a Blackberry Commercial. A friend of mine had said that the reason they do this is so that you have to keep up grading your Blackberry for more memory, that if everything went onto an extended memory card you wouldn't need to upgrade. Made sense to me, but look at all the perks of having a memory card with all your programs and media on it, you could eliminate the desktop manager if your phone should crash or needed to upgrade, and get rid of that PIN number crap to download a program. Here is what I like to see in a Blackberry:

1) Extended memory that anything can go in it, and can be upgraded.
2) Control over the lighting on my screen, and NOT some sensor.
3) Control when that light decides to shut off. I am trying to read email or a text message and the light goes off when it pleases. This is my number one pet peeve.
4) Get rid of adding your PIN to download a program, no other manufacturer uses this.

Just venting. Has anyone been able to find a work around these issues above, please let me know. Thanks!

MICP1480

Last edited by MICP1480; 07-26-2009 at 09:19 AM..
Old 07-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

2) change option to automatically dim screen to NO
this "disables" the sensor and saves battery life.

1) not possible
3) havent seen to be possible

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

You can't upgrade the internal memory of ANY mobile phone. Media cards are all you can upgrade, and on the BlackBerry the OS version determines how large a memory card you can use.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Including your PIN in a download is part of what makes BlackBerrys the most secure PDA availible.

Last edited by ndub33; 07-26-2009 at 09:15 PM..
Old 07-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
wawasteele
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile US

For #3, check into BBLight.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
MICP1480
Thumbs Must Hurt

I thought BB Light doesn't work on the 8330, I know it doesn't work on mine.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
MICP1480
Thumbs Must Hurt

Rambo 47, I appologize for not making myself clear. I now you can't upgrade the internal memory, but what I am trying to say is that maybe Blackberry doesn't want to offer a way to upload everything to a memory card, so they can keep producing Blackberry's with more internal memory every two years so that the public will be constantly upgrading their blackberry's. To validate this concept, the Blackberry Tour that just hit the market has been advertising how much more memory it has.

MICP1480
Old 07-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICP1480 View Post
I know so many including myself who want applications that are useful to us, but because these applications are memory hungry,and go on to the internal memory of the Blackberry, can only mean one thing, slow the system down.
You're thinking of BB's in the way that PC's work. PC's slow down as you fill their hard drives. BB's do not. You can, however, run into performance issues if you're running completely out of device memory.

Just how many different apps do you really need loaded at once? I have quite a few including many that I could delete and my old 8310 still has 10MB left. You might want to seriously considering a review of your apps if space is truly an issue and you're really storing media on the media card.

I'm not buying the typical "RIM is forcing people to upgrade" conspiracy theory. Even if RIM made device memory expandable there would still be a hard limit at some point and people would still gripe about the limit. Besides, you can't get features offered by new hardware without buying new hardware.

If you don't like the upgrade options out there then don't upgrade. I really don't get why people feel that they "have to" upgrade other than buying into the whole rampant consumerism thing.

Have you checked around to see if any of RIM's competitors offer expandable memory? If so, have you looked into them as options?

Last edited by takeshi; 07-27-2009 at 08:23 AM..
Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
skyman84
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: ask!
Carrier: O2 UK

point 3 can be solved by changing then the backlight time out is set to, easy.

As for not giving an upgradable memory, thats simple, security! I know oyu can encrypt a media card as much as you want, but end of the day, security is the reason.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICP1480 View Post
Rambo 47, I appologize for not making myself clear. I now you can't upgrade the internal memory, but what I am trying to say is that maybe Blackberry doesn't want to offer a way to upload everything to a memory card, so they can keep producing Blackberry's with more internal memory every two years so that the public will be constantly upgrading their blackberry's. To validate this concept, the Blackberry Tour that just hit the market has been advertising how much more memory it has.

MICP1480
This is systemic within the mobile phone industry. Upgrades like memory are something Apple in particular has become adept at. When they launched the iPhone with 4 BG and 8 GB they could EASILY have made it 8 and 10 instead. But they made a TON off upgraders who wanted the "new, spiffing extra memory model". I don't believe for a second that RIM doesn't have similar game plans.

As far as letting apps be installed to and run from the memory card, this would take a MAJOR re-write of the OS and would possibly compromise the security for which RIM is famous. It's a great thought, but not one I believe RIM will embrace. Anyway, we can dare to dream, right?
Closed Thread