BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint
Exclamation Fixed the Tunnel Error message - here's how.

Please Login to Remove!

After reading aLL the posts and trying everything, particularly in this thread, I had zero luck. So I went into a Cing. store and they gave me even lass help. SO I called the BB help line at Cingular (866-490-2666) and got a guy who really did not know anything about this, so I was discouraged, at first. He tried a to add what the other threads say is required (WIX Data something or other..., you know what I'm talking about), but couldn't find a way to do that. Even more discouraged at that point. So then he did a couple things and had me give it a try, and out of nowhere I was able to login to Verichat, Yak-On and HelloWorld without ANY problems! I was floored. So I will lay out EXACTLY what happened on our call and what he said he did, and I hope this helps others out there in need.

1. First he had me turn off the wireless connection.
2. Then he deleted my BB Unlimited Data plan.
3. He then added the same plan back again, kind of reset the package I guess.
4. Then he had me turn on the wireless connection again.
5. I got a welcome message from Cingular about adding the new feature.
6. Then he told me to go to Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table, and he told me to click on the top entry and choose Register Now.
7. Then he told me to go back to my home screen and check for the HTML Browser. I told him I did see it there, which was odd because I hid the browser icon yesterday because I use the middle convenience key to load the browser. He said that it is present now because it is a different browser from the one I hid, so I checked the hidden icons and sure enough the other browser was still there. Turns out the old one is the WAP Browser, labelled Cingular Browser, and the new one is the HTML Browser, labelled Internet Browser. Bonus!
8. Then he said when he deleted and then re-added the BB Unlimited plan that I mentioned above, the new browser was installed with it.
9. He also added the "wap.cingular" plan (no cost). This is what I believe allows me to avoid the tunnel errors, so I imagine this is the most important. I am just giving my entire process in case you need the whole procedure to get access like I did.
10. Now when I check the feature list on my account I do NOT have anything with WIX on it, just the BB Unlimited plan, that's all. So I guess you don't need the WIX stuff like the other posts claim.

Now keep in mind that this is what worked for me, and I am in the Seattle area. I understand that different markets may have different methods, but this works for me. Now I have instant access to the map program and the chat programs - flawless.

Hope this helps at least one person.\!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

Any chance that you're now using the Cingular HTML browser that people are reporting has magically appeared within the last few hours? Maybe it's just a coincidence that whatever else was going on, that browser showed up when it did...
Old 11-29-2005, 08:36 PM   #3
Seattle18

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaslow
Any chance that you're now using the Cingular HTML browser that people are reporting has magically appeared within the last few hours? Maybe it's just a coincidence that whatever else was going on, that browser showed up when it did...
Ironically, I think this is the case indeed. I just happened to call in right around the same time as the rollout of the new browser, how funny... So that portion of my post I guess can be disregarded, but the rest still applies to the tunnel error messages.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:19 PM   #4
DaMaDo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700C

I just called that number talked to someone who didn't know much at all. He just had me turn off the phone, take out the battery, take out the sim card, then put the sim and battery back in and turn it on. All of a sudden verichat worked and no tunnel error. He said he didnt' do anything on his end. I had tried removing the battery before but it looks like removing and replacing the sim chip was the difference....wierd stuff.

I tried asking if I was going to get charged for this instant messaging service and he said they use SMS...which not all do. I asked if it was possible it could charge me for medianet time but he didn't really know. I've heard of others getting charged extra for IM clients, is there any way to make sure I don't get charged? (besides just not using it )

Last edited by DaMaDo; 12-01-2005 at 05:21 PM..
Old 12-06-2005, 01:15 AM   #5
Airpoppoff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Seattle18, are you on cingular blue?
Old 12-06-2005, 11:31 AM   #6
ams mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

i called cingular and they gave me some KR4 plan that is free n/c and only for the 8700c. that fixed everything for my tunnel error message and my sms works perfectly now.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:34 AM   #7
Airpoppoff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams mike
i called cingular and they gave me some KR4 plan that is free n/c and only for the 8700c. that fixed everything for my tunnel error message and my sms works perfectly now.
What is N/C?
Do you have Cingular Blue or Orange?
Do you know if you have a 3g Sim card? (Is it blue on the bottom?)
Old 12-06-2005, 02:09 PM   #8
Seattle18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airpoppoff
Seattle18, are you on cingular blue?
No - orange.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:17 PM   #9
szumlanski
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: att

I had the modem and third party apps working on my BB 8700c. Then I noticed I was getting data usage over limit (by looking at my online Cingular billing info - even though I have unlimited plan). I called to explain the situation and they said I had both Unlimited BB and WAP "pay-as-you-go" on my account. They took off the WAP part to stop the overages, and now my modem does not work (tunnel error). Of course, I will be checking my bill in detail this month...

I am having a hard time getting a straight answer about MediaNet also (whether extra charges will be incurred). I stopped using the Cingular browser for now until I get an answer.

More importantly, I want to know if I get the WAP feature re-added to my account, will I be charge per usage for using my BB as a modem. Basically, I would like one of you experts to give me the language to use with the rep when I call. I tried to drop some lingo I read by searching the boards, but they listened at me like I was cross-eyed
Old 12-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #10
mws222
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

yea i would really like to know this too. i really want to get a 8700 but since i can't access the bes right now it seems a little absurd for me to have to pay 44.99 for the bb unlimited plan and then throw in an additional wap plan. if i could be sure i could get wap for free i would definetly pick one up
Old 12-09-2005, 08:19 PM   #11
ewr

Model: 8700C

"9. He also added the "wap.cingular" plan (no cost). This is what I believe allows me to avoid the tunnel errors, so I imagine this is the most important. I am just giving my entire process in case you need the whole procedure to get access like I did."

I just talked to Cingular and the service rep made it very clear that it was "no added cost", but would have a per kb charge. I pinned him down to understand that "no added cost" = no recurring monthly cost.

Let us know what your bill looks like next month!
Old 12-09-2005, 09:26 PM   #12
FuzzyClam

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Angry Same thing

Was told tonite that anything but e-mail and web browsing needs a pay-per-use wap apn plan to be provisioned to my account.

My 7105t on T-Mob (work) does this with no problems. Hmmm....bummer.

cheers,
paul
Old 12-10-2005, 12:59 AM   #13
Seattle18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewr
"9. He also added the "wap.cingular" plan (no cost). This is what I believe allows me to avoid the tunnel errors, so I imagine this is the most important. I am just giving my entire process in case you need the whole procedure to get access like I did."

I just talked to Cingular and the service rep made it very clear that it was "no added cost", but would have a per kb charge. I pinned him down to understand that "no added cost" = no recurring monthly cost.

Let us know what your bill looks like next month!
Well, I really don't think there will be such a charge, especially since others in this forum have had the wap enabled for a while and have not incurred any excess charges. Further, I recorded the conversation I had with the rep (attorney habit) and since he told me clearly :there is no additional cost" I feel 100%assured that I will not bear any costs. If they appear on my bill I can easily get them wiped, but I think it will work out with no charge anyway.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:16 AM   #14
XDS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Wirelessly posted (7290: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

WIX = Wireless Internet Express

And something seems odd about how these reps are handling your accounts.

If I where you I would scream bloody murder if anything stops working.

It just seems strange there not handling your "setups" with T.L.C.

Regards
~
Old 12-10-2005, 02:18 AM   #15
XDS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Wirelessly posted (7290: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

...Start to finish I mean
Old 12-10-2005, 08:38 AM   #16
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie
Default Data Charges

I am a Blue account on a corporate BES. I just used the 8700 as a modem. There is a new line on my bill for Data. I called and they told me it would be .0048cents/kbs. Set up is per my Tips document. I will get my bill in a week or so and will confirm this. I don't think Cingular has any free data plans.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:22 AM   #17
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
I am a Blue account on a corporate BES. I just used the 8700 as a modem. There is a new line on my bill for Data. I called and they told me it would be .0048cents/kbs. Set up is per my Tips document. I will get my bill in a week or so and will confirm this. I don't think Cingular has any free data plans.
I hope Cingular comes out with something more reasonable. Verizon Wireless is charging $15/mo to add unlimited data at EVDO speed to its blackberry plan to use as a modem.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:35 AM   #18
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie
Default Data Charges

I wouldn't hold out hopes. For business users that is a no brainer add on. Can't see it going lower since RIM is still a major enterprise play. Also Cingular's HSDPA will offer the ability to do voice and data at the same time. Big advantage to be tethered at high speed and on BT voice call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio
I hope Cingular comes out with something more reasonable. Verizon Wireless is charging $15/mo to add unlimited data at EVDO speed to its blackberry plan to use as a modem.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:20 PM   #19
torifile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Ok, I just got my 8700. I'm getting the tunnel error when using BBToday and trying to get the weather. What's the real deal on this issue? Will I get billed? What do I need to tell the CSR when I call (and they inevitably have no clue what I'm talking about)?
Old 07-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #20
ground strap

Model: 8700
Default it's working!

I'm also in Seattle and told Cingular that:

a) the app worked fine on T-Mobile
b) that I'd only switched to Cingular yesterday
c) that the internet research I'd done pointed to a problem with Cingular's provisioning
d) that I'd be willing to let Cingular look at the problem before going back to T-Mobile
e) I also told him what steps others had recommended

He did the standard stuff (the steps others had taken) and then told me he setup my account to be able to access multiple APNs at Cingular.

I tried it and then saw a "malformed packet" error message. Using the information in Mark's FAQ, I was able to add the username/password and get everything to work.

thanks to everyone who contributed to this solution!
Closed Thread