Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
fdicks

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Confused...Please Help

Please Login to Remove!

I am sophomore to the blackberry school. I started with a 8830 and I eventually upgraded to the Storm back in November. I have had the chance to play with 4 different blackberry storms, all in working order, all the same model and all on Verizon wireless. Here is the thing, I have been experimenting with the OS leaks with these 4 for about a month and a half and this is what I can’t understand. Why is it that different OS’s work well with the different devices.

For example…

OS v4.7.0.113 works great with “Storm A” but on Storm B it causes the GPS to be inaccessible to certain programs and a Weatherbug error on Storm C. It works okay on Storm D with the exception of a slow accelerometer (I thing that’s what it’s called).

There were other different bugs on the other OS’s as well. I would think that 2 devices using the same hardware and the same OS would have the same bugs, but that is not the case here.

Can someone help me understand this?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Nope, I have no answer, but please indulge me by reading what happened to me with the two iPod Touch 2G's I bought for my wife and I, with the same OS on them. My Touch was brand new and I installed White Pages on it. Wouldn't work--every time I tried to use the app it returned an error that it was unable to retrieve information. I put the same app on my wife's new Touch and it worked fine. So....I reinstalled the OS on mine and then tried installing/running White Pages again. No joy! SAME error. Took it to the nearby Apple store, told them the issue and they replaced it with a NEW unit (complete in sealed case, earphones, etc). Got it home, set it up, installed White Pages and voila, it worked! And it has worked for the last 7 or more months. Go figure. Another mystery remains unsolved, but the solution was adequate.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
ghamden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I think we are going find out later maybe?

Since these devices are built in multiple location around the world, apparently the correct specs did not translate correctly thats why we see an OS act diferently on supposedly the same device, and why most of us finding the same issues you are experiencing with no real explanation excpet what as i stated that apparently origin of the device can make difference ??

my conclusion

He who Ignores Discipline despises themselves

But whoever heeds correction gains understanding.

Last edited by ghamden; 04-13-2009 at 08:13 PM..
Closed Thread