Old 04-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
strata615
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default YouMail Visual VM?

Please Login to Remove!

I tried downloading the youmail visual voicemail app from appworld, is it not storm compatible? It will only give me numbers for typing in my pin number and I can't get it to let me type letters, which my pin has in it.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
strata615
Knows Where the Search Button Is

cancel that question...still learning how to use this thing though....
Old 04-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
kmac1024

Thumbs up You Mail... Yay!

You Mail is a lot easier, IMHO, than the VZ version of Visual Voice Mail, and it is free too! Also, it doesn't take up as much space on your BB either. I have been using it for over 2 years now, and love love love it!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
chris4851

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

From my personal experience I could'nt stand Youmail. I removed it as fast as I installed it. The intergration with the OS doesnt play the way I would like. I will gladly hit "1" until AT&T VVM or Gmail VVM is available.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
ChezDigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

After you register for your YouMail account, uninstall YouMail from your Storm, then install VyMail. It handles the YouMail's VM data much better.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

i am looking into trying out Youmail VVM Plus, but i have some questions maybe someone can shed some light on:

why, is Youmail free ? i am somewhat skeptical of routing my phone calls to Youmail, and giving this 3rd party my vm password, in order to use their services. i am also concerned about security and privacy with respect to my phone number and voice messages. since they can be accessed via the internet and email, i am curious as to how secure the overall package is. i am also somewhat concerned about the 3rd party selling my private information for marketing purposes....

what is VyMail ? is it a different 3rd party, or the same ? featurewise and integration with the Storm, is it better than YouMail ?

Last edited by zero7404; 05-24-2009 at 09:31 PM..
Old 05-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
ChezDigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

YouMail has two parts to it -- the website registration/voicemail service, and than the BB app. VyMail is just the BB app which, IMO, is better than YouMail's BB app.

Go to YouMail.com, register, and then install VyMail on your BB app...you will use your YouMail credentials to log into VyMail.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
project86
Thumbs Must Hurt

I haven't been able to get this program to work for me. I called the number it told me to, got nothing but beeps. I created my account online so that is all set up. I chose the option to press 1 to access the voicemail and I got my old voicemail so that didn't work. And I tried installing it on my phone but it gets to 10% logging in and freezes. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I have the Storm .132 update. I am kind of figuring that is the cause for the freezing issue, but I don't know. I haven't heard back from YouMail yet.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:35 AM   #9
project86
Thumbs Must Hurt

It was the .132 OS.. Now YouMail is working nicely since I came back to .75 OS.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #10
pastor_rob
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Cool

YouMail has a new BB program that is the best!!! You no longer need the Vymail program because it does all that you will need!!!

Before you throw away anything new ... you should give it a try ... I have been using the new BB program for a few months now ... and highly recommend it to all of my friends ... they now love it too!!!

It is a bummer if you DO NOT have a BB ... but since this is BB Forums I assume you have a BB ... then this is the app for you ... trust me!!!

P.S. NO ... I am NOT affiliated with or work for YouMail ... lol

Peace ALL!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
zero7404

personally, i'm still skeptical to give my personal info with regard to voicemail to a company that offers these services for free. there has to be a catch somewhere. is it that they charge for premium services ? do they attach ads to the services they provide ?

i thought that VyMail was strange because in app world, the only app they offer is Visual Voicemail Plus. since the app was available on app world and shown, then i assume it works with the storm and is the latest software by YouMail.

i am looking into this as a temporary/short term solution to calling long distance to check my voicemail while i am out of the country....when i return i will go back to my original vm system.

i wonder y tmobile hasn't implemented something like this for their customers ?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
ChezDigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

The moneymaker for visual voicemail apps is the transcription -- the conversion of the voicemail message to text.

FYI, you can register the YouMail service, but have the option to never install YouMail or VyMail to your phone. You actually don't even need a BB for the service. You can have YouMail text you when you get a message, and it tells you who it is from in the text, and how long the message is. (there is a short text ad embedded in these text messages as well) Then you can call the number (714 area code) that is lists to retrieve your messages. Or, if you have the app installed, you can click on each one in the app interface to listen and/or delete each message.

Last edited by ChezDigital; 05-26-2009 at 10:40 AM..
Old 05-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #13
zero7404

ok, i decided to give it a shot...

i am not using the bb app, since i chose to have myself emailed when a vm is left. i noticed that on the phone, if i press & hold 1, it still pipes me thru to my old vm on tmob.
i don't mind this, and i also like the online integration, i can log in via a pc and look @ the vm's....that will come in useful when i go overseas since i will leave my phone home...

i was looking around the web site for an option to activate/deactivate the service, but the only thing i found was for canceling the subscription. so when i don't want to use YouMail, i just cancel it ?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
pastor_rob
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
ok, i decided to give it a shot...

i am not using the bb app, since i chose to have myself emailed when a vm is left. i noticed that on the phone, if i press & hold 1, it still pipes me thru to my old vm on tmob.
i don't mind this, and i also like the online integration, i can log in via a pc and look @ the vm's....that will come in useful when i go overseas since i will leave my phone home...

i was looking around the web site for an option to activate/deactivate the service, but the only thing i found was for canceling the subscription. so when i don't want to use YouMail, i just cancel it ?

Even with the BB app .. you can go into settings in the website and still get an email and/or a text when you get a vm.

I like the idea of the BB app being able to log right into my account on the web and even upload my contacts from my phone so my phone and the website are actually synced at all times.

If you want to you can disable you mail ... and go back to your provider vm at anytime ... you don't have to cancel ... you just go into my account ... and change the settings.

Friends trust me this does everything you need ... and then some. And your provider can never have a different voice mail answer for every person who calls you. Browse around the website and play around with it ... you will not go back to your old vm!!!

Hope this helps ... as it does everything your vm was meant to do!!!

Enjoy ALL
Old 05-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastor_rob View Post
If you want to you can disable you mail ... and go back to your provider vm at anytime ... you don't have to cancel ... you just go into my account ... and change the settings.
can you elaborate ? where to go when logged in, i don't see it....
Old 05-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #16
pastor_rob
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wink

Quote:
can you elaborate ? where to go when logged in, i don't see it....
After you log in ... in the top right hand corner there is your phone number then "MY ACCOUNT' ... click on it ... then you should see MY ACCOUNT all the way to the left ... click on MY PHONES ... and then to your right you should see several options ... disable automatic sign-in from this phone ... etc ... take your pick!!!

Down under MY ACCOUNT ... you will see MY ALERTS ... click on it and change the way you get alerts about your vms.

Hope this helps ... as I mentioned ... you need to look around and play with the site ... all the info is very easy to follow and change!!!

Enjoy ALL
Old 05-26-2009, 11:17 PM   #17
pastor_rob
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
i am looking into trying out Youmail VVM Plus, but i have some questions maybe someone can shed some light on:

why, is Youmail free ? i am somewhat skeptical of routing my phone calls to Youmail, and giving this 3rd party my vm password, in order to use their services. i am also concerned about security and privacy with respect to my phone number and voice messages. since they can be accessed via the internet and email, i am curious as to how secure the overall package is. i am also somewhat concerned about the 3rd party selling my private information for marketing purposes....

what is VyMail ? is it a different 3rd party, or the same ? featurewise and integration with the Storm, is it better than YouMail ?

The ONLY way they have access to your vms ... is if you give out your password!!! The only persons who can hear your vms ... are those who have your password ... or access to your email address ... since those are the only places the vms will be.

This is NOT rocket science ... it is not as difficult as some of us are trying to make it ... I am just as concerned about privacy and security as the next guy ... I have been using this program for over 6 months and I have had no problems ... I must confess ... that it is not as nice of a program on just any phone ... it is an extraordinary app for the BB.

That being said ... I hope you enjoy it ... after using it a while and setting the settings to your preference ... you will see that this is a must have on any BB!!!

Enjoy ALL
Old 05-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #18
zero7404

pastor, thanks for the detailed info....

however i do not have a need for the bb app. just the service.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #19
ChezDigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

The great thing about the BB app is you can click on and choose the VMs to listen to, just like on the website, and then leave others ones until you desire. But since you're using the web interface, I assume you're aware of that...
Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #20
zero7404

i still do not see any option for the YouMail app to be deactivated or paused without closing the YouMail account. so if i want to go back to my original voicemail on tmob and NOT use YouMail, i have to go to My Information and select Close Your Account.