Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #21
Frisco
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel

Please Login to Remove!

Hmm.. I wonder how long of use I'll get in a day before having to clean memory (battery pull?), etc.

My 8330 Curve doesn't require it at all that I can see.. but I do a battery pull every Sunday evening anyway after clearing the browser cache and looking for multimedia files I don't need or can just put on my computer here.

The "sure click" thing for typing on the Strom is attractive to me compared to the other screen-keyboard method on other phones.. I do like the idea of some sort of tactile assurance I've typed a character.. *click* seems good compared to just touch.

Your remarks here, all of you, are quite helpful to me; thank you!

I am certain now that I will get the Storm as my next Blackberry. I started with the Pearl. 8330 was next (hard to give that up), and now Storm's screen size (I am on the internet a lot with the Curve) and "coolness factor" are drawing me closer.

Last edited by Frisco; 03-18-2009 at 05:12 PM..
Old 03-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #22
pdutta2000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Count me in the club that is going away from the storm. I just switched back to a Pearl. I tired to like the Storm. I told myself that I read more emails than I type or reply to. Told myself that a firmware update would be coming to make it fast and responsive. Told myself that the new App Store would be great. In the end though...waiting for the stupid screen to switch between landscape and portrait, hitting the lock button and have nothing happen for 20 seconds, hitting the wrong key over and over again when trying to type a 2 word email pushed me over the edge. I love the concept of the Storm. The huge touch screen opens up enormous possibilities. What's the point, though if RIM/Carriers are so slow and lazy with their updates? I'd rather have a machine that doesn't have as much sizzle but works everyday without fail. Without needing a daily battery pull. I'm looking forward to the 9630 hitting Verizon. But this time, I'll be waiting a good 2-3 months after it's release to see if it's worth it.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:05 AM   #23
Frisco
Thumbs Must Hurt

"..daily battery pulls.." is what stands out to me there. What happens if you don't do those battery pulls?

I'm wondering about the influence of the carrier in the negative reviews of Storm. I'm with Alltel now, which will be Verizon here where I live come October.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #24
yamahammer

Ive had my storm for about 2 months now. I played with the storm a couple times at the store before i made up my mind. After 2 months, I love it. I agree with pretty much everyone else above... takes a bit to get used to typing on it, does need a battery pull every now and them. That said, I am quite pleased. I have no regrets about owning a storm. The more i use it, the more i like it. My advice is to look up the keyboard setting mod right after you open it. That change helped me remarkably.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #25
70seven
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: Bell Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
"..daily battery pulls.." is what stands out to me there. What happens if you don't do those battery pulls?

I have the quick pull application, and in the two weeks I had my Storm, I only did a battery pull(with quick pull) once. I don't even think I needed to, I just though it would be a good thing to do every now and then, it did free some memory, went from 23mb free to 45 mb free. Saw no difference in how the storm performed. I know some people do it daily but I don't think you have to do it every day.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #26
sammer

Carrier: verizon
Default using .103 Need Help!

Alright so i just installed the .103 os on my Storm 9530, works exceptional, way better than the .75. But i have one problem with it, when i lock my screen and its goes black i cant touch the screen to make it light up again, I have to hit one of the four keys. Also the most trouble im having with it is that when i get a txt the led lights up and it vibrates and rings but the screen wont light up, nor can i press the screen to access it. I have to wait a little bit then hit unlock for it to let me in and check them. Never had that problem with the old os, but i dont really wanna switch back either. Anybody got any ideas to help fix this? or mayb a link to an equally good/better os to run? Your help is much appreciated!
Old 03-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #27
member666

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
I like the idea of a "click" onscreen keyboard as opposed to the iPhone method of touch only (I hope I understand that correctly).
I've played around with the Storm many times at various stores and I do like it a lot but I don't know why I haven't committed to it. One of the big reasons for me is that I don't want to switch providers. In Canada, I would have to switch from Rogers which I don't really want to do.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #28
Frisco
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (Pearl 8130)

Storm is beginning to look like more of an "acquired taste" than other Blackberries.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #29
cubanitoloko23

Model: 8530
PIN: 314D10E8
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
I am considering going from Curve 8330 (like a lot) to either 8900, Bold or (*gasp*) Storm.

The 8900 is getting raves from most users, the Bold too. But I hear negatives about the Storm in reviews, especially the keyboard.

I like the idea of a "click" onscreen keyboard as opposed to the iPhone method of touch only (I hope I understand that correctly).

I will play with one in the store, of course, to see if it is to my liking. I assume many here have done that before buying.

How do you like it now that you've had it a while?
you have the right idea, play with one at the store first, but i can tell you i have had 2 pearls, loved them, 1 curve 8320 wi-fi enabled, loved it, and now a storm 9530, i think so far this is the best one although it did take some minor tweaks to make it work to my liking, but now this is the phone to beat IMHO.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:50 AM   #30
joethebee

Model: 9500
Carrier: Telkomsel

I love my Storm, it's my first BB as well, I love touchscreen
Old 03-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #31
Frisco
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethebee View Post
I love my Storm, it's my first BB as well, I love touchscreen
When you click a letter, how long does it take for that letter to appear on the screen? I keep hearing about "lag," but nobody says how long. If it's just a fraction of a second, then fine. But if it's a long lag then it seems like you'd have to really like the device for other reasons to put up with that during texting or composing emails, etc.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:57 AM   #32
70seven

Carrier: Bell Canada

Quote:
When you click a letter, how long does it take for that letter to appear on the screen? I keep hearing about "lag," but nobody says how long. If it's just a fraction of a second, then fine. But if it's a long lag then it seems like you'd have to really like the device for other reasons to put up with that during texting or composing emails, etc.
I NEVER noticed any lags, maybe those users who install a beta, new released os update. I got mine two weeks ago and running os version 76 I think it is. I type allot, I email, surf and constantly update my calendar and tasks. I never noticed any lags, I press a key and the letter appears immediately.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #33
starwatcher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

For me it is not the keyboard that is the issue. I am fine with that.
I am on Rogers. I had no issue unlocking the phone and getting it to work as Rogers has the service books for it.

My problem is:
To get the phone to work properly you have to use and modify the leaked OS update. Not only that you have to use a hybrid of them as each one has its own problems.
Browsing is very slow, not the download speed as it worked fine on my Pearl. There is a problem with the browser on start up, take forever to connect to the first page.
The Radio connection to EDGE is flaky. Not sure why RIM has not fixed this yet as the phone is supposed to work on GSM networks.

RIM should not of released this phone yet. It 'COULD' be great, but as of now I am telling as many people as possible that it is NOT ready for prime time.
Blackberry Storm
Blackberry Pearl
Old 03-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #34
Jacobsaby
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70seven View Post
Maybe its just my imagination but in SurePress (protrait) if I type more to the left of the key it write the letter on the left, same with if I press more on the right. I just wrote a 20-30 word email in portrait and made no typo. SurePress is growing on me.

Its been a couple more days with my BB Storm, and everyone I know ask me how I feel about it and they immediately ask questions comparing it to the iPhone and the Pre. I always answer that the Storm is not as "pretty" as the iPhone, the flip between portrait and landscape is not even animated, the calendar is not all color coordinated and things like that, but do you want something to impress your friends or something that works and you can rely on?
If you notice, the keyboard sensors seem to be set up to take into consideration the angle that your thumbs will be putting pressure on the screen. for instance, if you try to press a letter on the left side of the keyboard with your right thumb, you will rarely hit the key that you had in mind. Its a very clever design, and now that i'm used to it, i'm typing extremely fast in both portrait and landscape mode.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #35
DozertheDozarian

PIN: 304FD95D

I've come to love my storm. Like most people, it took some getting used to. But now I've got a device that use constantly throughout the day for work and entertainment needs. I've had BB's for the last 2 years and I really think that this is the best one I've had.

It's got it's issues, but so does every new tech. My personal experience has been overwhelmingly positive.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #36
masked

i wish they released it with good software so i wouldnt have to wait so long for a perfect phone. this is my first blackberry and im pretty dissapointed
Old 03-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #37
wademac

I have tried to really like the Storm, but have to say I'm incredibly disappointed. To this point, if RIM is indeed trying to compete with the Iphone, they have failed miserably.

I migrated to the Storm from a BB 8800, which I had for 3 1/2 years or so, and only did probably 3 battery pulls the entire time I had it. I'm lucky if I don't have to do a battery pull three times within a couple of days now. The 8800 I had seemed very polished and a solid device....the Storm seems slow and iffy....I'm lucky some days if I can even answer a phone call before it goes to voicemail....

The delay in getting an official OS update out to fix the various issues really has me questioning RIM's ability to compete with the big boys. As much as I hate to say it....Apple would not leave it's consumers hanging out to dry like RIM has.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #38
sghere

PIN: 305CF418

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElusiveAura View Post
It takes a little while to get used too, thats a definite but once you do, it's unlike any other phone (of course lol) I love mine and many here will share the same sentiment. I like type in portrait mode more than landscape but thats my personal preference. It will take time and some tweaking but you would probably very much enjoy it.

I've tried typing in Portrait and it just doesn't cut it for me....HOW do you get it to work? Are you using the full keyboard or the Suretype?

My biggest complaint is that the spacebar is so small that I keep hitting the SYM key. I'm not quire sure who the keyboard is designed for...a 12 year old maybe? lol

Other than that, I think the Storm is a decent phone. Had the Iphone and it was very cool, but service sucks unless you're in a big city, or right off an interstate here.

-S
Old 03-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #39
Jacobsaby
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by masked View Post
i wish they released it with good software so i wouldnt have to wait so long for a perfect phone. this is my first blackberry and im pretty dissapointed
I wouldn't hold your breath for a perfect phone from any provider/company.
Closed Thread