Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
garyh357

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Question Need help making purchase decision

Please Login to Remove!

I went to Verizon today to look at the Storm. I will be making a purchase in a week or two. Honestly, I really want the iPhone, but don't want to switch from Verizon because of all my friends and family on Verizon.

Knowing that an iPhone is out of the question, I fell in love with the Storm, especially since I found out that using the missing sync I can keep my mac address book, calendar, iTunes and videos in sync with the phone, till I read some things online about the touchscreen technology potentially failing on a lot of the Storms, and also about the sluggishness of the Storm in general. I'm potentially willing to overlook the sluggishness.

One reason I want a phone with a screen like this is that I am a video editor and I want to be able to put my promo videos on the phone and play them anytime, anywhere for potential clients.

Here are my questions:
  • What is the truth about the sluggishness? Is is likely that it will be corrected with an updated OS, fairly soon?
  • What is the truth about the failure rate of the touchscreen?
  • The BB site says that the storm is capable of the following video formats: MPEG4 H.263, MPEG4 Part 2 Simple Profile, H.264, WMV. Since it is capable of H.264, can that be in the .mov or .m4v extensions?
  • Is there anything related to my playing videos created on my mac that I should know about?
  • In comparison, does the Curve play video in the same way and formats as the Storm?
  • Is there a way that I can put a video on a microSD without the BB and take the card into Verizon to see it on the Storm and/or the Curve?

Thanks so much in advance. Just answer what you can and I will greatly appreciate it.

Gary
Old 03-16-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
yanboq

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone

failure rate of touchscreen: I used a friend's storm the day before yesterday and the touchscreen was NOT nice. Maybe I just didn't have the hang of it, but I wouldn't buy a Storm (yet).
You've got a lot of great questions, but I can only answer to one of them. Good luck. I own a pearl and love it, but that's not good for what you need. Sorry.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
rhn1975
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VzW

I've had the phone for 3 months now and stll run .75 that came on it. The sluggishness is over-rated and I'm sure the performance will get better wth the new firmware release coming out soon. I have no complaints and love the phone. My only issue with it is weight. It is a bt heavy.

With regards to the video defnitely go to a store and try to put your card in a demo. Take advantage of the 30 day return policy as well. I've never loaded vidoe's onto the storm for watching but I have taken videos with it and it only records in 3GPP2 format which you cannot play using windows media player. You'll need quicktime for that and given that you are a Mac user (I am too) you'll have no issues.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
garyh357

Thanks for the input. I'd love to here from others, especially anyone who can comment on the video. Anyone had direct comparison between video on the storm and the curve using the built in speakers?

I was in the mall today and looked at both again. The storm had the sample video on it, but the curve didn't. The display storm was really sluggish but the salesperson had his personal storm and it wasn't sluggish, so I guess the display one hasn't been taken care of properly.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 03-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

garyh357,

I was in your same position last December. I also have just about every other MAC product and am a LOYAL MAC user. Moving to the iPhone would have been the next logical step for me. However, I love Verizon and AT&T cellular service is absolutely terrible in my town.

Before I answer your questions, I must say this. The iPhone is a toy. The internet browsing with both phones is quite comparable. I have an iTouch and there are only minor advantages that edge Safari browsing ahead of the Blackberry browser. Browsing speed is the same. The advantages of the iPhone are its slimmer profile and plethora of gaming apps. IMO opinion, that's it.

The Blackberry Storm is a fabulous, touch screen, business tool. As an email device the Storm demolishes the iPhone. The Storm can also send MMS messages, the iPhone can't. The Storm is a tool, not a gaming device or toy.

My response to your questions:

1. What is the truth about the sluggishness? Is is likely that it will be corrected with an updated OS, fairly soon?

The official OS for the Verizon 9530 is currently .75, which I found to be fine after adjusting the settings to my tastes. There are also currently beta builds which have remedied a majority of the Storm's issues. I am running .103 and I love my Storm.

2. What is the truth about the failure rate of the touchscreen?

American Verizon customers purchase Storm units manufactured in either Mexico or Canada. After combing these threads for several months I have found Mexican made Storms tend to have various problems. However you can take advantage of the warranty to remedy that matter. I have had two Canadian made Storms. The only screen issue I have had on both units was caused by cold weather. The screen definitely becomes unresponsive if you allow it to become chilled. My problems occurred during temperatures of 30 degrees or lower. Keeping the Storm inside your clothing next to your body heat in these temperatures will prevent this from happening.

3. The BB site says that the storm is capable of the following video formats: MPEG4 H.263, MPEG4 Part 2 Simple Profile, H.264, WMV. Since it is capable of H.264, can that be in the .mov or .m4v extensions?

Most Storm is dedicated to phone calls, instant messenging, email, and SMS / MMS activity. Some rare gaming moments. I have filmed a few short video clips but mostly as a novelty. IMO, if you need to go beyond the scope of filming short clips for fun, get a video camera. The phone battery doesn't do well when you go beyond the scope of basic phone operations.

4. Is there anything related to my playing videos created on my mac that I should know about?

I am a MAC user but I maintain a PC laptop to interface with my Storm. The Storm is NOT MAC friendly unless you are creating basic images and files that can be viewed on a PC as well. If you want to watch videos, movies, etc, purchase one of those portable DVD players. Again, you Storm battery will not last long for you running processor intensive applications.

5. In comparison, does the Curve play video in the same way and formats as the Storm?
Is there a way that I can put a video on a microSD without the BB and take the card into Verizon to see it on the Storm and/or the Curve?

It can't hurt to ask someone at a VZW store. However it sounds like you are wanting things out of the Storm that it really isn't well suited for. The Storm brings the touchscreen experience along with email, SMS/MMS, instant messenging, and basic internet browsing. If you are seeking a business tool, the Storm is the phone you want.

If you are looking to accomplish video / gaming intensive endeavors, I hate to say this, but the iPhone may be more suited to your needs.

Remember, this is a cellular phone.

Verizon 9530
Old 03-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
garyh357

@XelhaBB,

Thanks so much for the lengthy review!

Don't get me wrong, I do 'mainly' want it as a cell phone/calendar/sms/email, and I never care about shooting video with it. I don't even take that many pictures, 'cause I have a real camera for that. The extent of my gaming would be solitaire in the airport. I don't care about watching hollywood movies or TV on it, I would just like to be able to replace my old ipod with it for music and be able to occasionally play my promo video (since I'm a video producer/director/editor) for potential clients in unplanned meetings.

Naturally, whenever possible, my potential clients and I will meet in my office, their office, or sometimes their homes. In that case, I'll play a DVD. But I do occasionally meet someone genuinely interested in hiring me while I have nothing but my cell phone, wallet and some business cards with me. In that case, I want to try to allow them to go away with an experience of what I can do for them, not just a business card. I'm not too worried about the battery. I spend most of my time near a charger.

So...
80% Cell Phone
10% Calendar
5% SMS
2% Calculator
2% Email
1% Play my video reel for clients

You said you sync the storm with a pc, I was considering using the missing sync with the Mac. For syncing, I mean contacts with the mac address book, calendar with ical, music with itunes, my promo video, and maybe a few word docs and excel spreadsheets. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Gary

Last edited by garyh357; 03-17-2009 at 12:19 PM..
Old 03-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
ocgreenmachine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh357 View Post
I went to Verizon today to look at the Storm. I will be making a purchase in a week or two. Honestly, I really want the iPhone, but don't want to switch from Verizon because of all my friends and family on Verizon.

Knowing that an iPhone is out of the question, I fell in love with the Storm, especially since I found out that using the missing sync I can keep my mac address book, calendar, iTunes and videos in sync with the phone, till I read some things online about the touchscreen technology potentially failing on a lot of the Storms, and also about the sluggishness of the Storm in general. I'm potentially willing to overlook the sluggishness.

One reason I want a phone with a screen like this is that I am a video editor and I want to be able to put my promo videos on the phone and play them anytime, anywhere for potential clients.

Here are my questions:
  • What is the truth about the sluggishness? Is is likely that it will be corrected with an updated OS, fairly soon?
  • What is the truth about the failure rate of the touchscreen?
  • The BB site says that the storm is capable of the following video formats: MPEG4 H.263, MPEG4 Part 2 Simple Profile, H.264, WMV. Since it is capable of H.264, can that be in the .mov or .m4v extensions?
  • Is there anything related to my playing videos created on my mac that I should know about?
  • In comparison, does the Curve play video in the same way and formats as the Storm?
  • Is there a way that I can put a video on a microSD without the BB and take the card into Verizon to see it on the Storm and/or the Curve?

Thanks so much in advance. Just answer what you can and I will greatly appreciate it.

Gary
Gary,

I'll try to be brief since I'm answering you on my storm :p

1. If you are running with the official OS .75 yes you will see sluggishness. However, if you run a beta OS such as .103 or .114 in my case, there is little sluggishness if an at all. From what I've heard from a relative who works for verizon, there will be a firmware update in a month or so, so if you are worried about running a beta, there is an official fix coming soon.

2. I've had two storms (really didn't need to return the first one, just had minor dust under screen) but both were canadian in origin. No issues with the touchscreen. In fact, it is the main reason I love my storm more than the iphone. It does require some body heat to register your touch, so like someone said before, it may be more difficult to use in freezing weather.

3. I watch videos on my storm from time to time in mpeg4 format... I also watch youtube. That is the extent of my video use on the storm. Quality is great, no lag...

4. I have heard there are some compatibility issues with macs, so browse around on the forums to see what mac owners have to say...

5. I've never owned a curve so I can tell you either way. The only other bb I've owned is the 8830 and if it is similar, you'll enjoy the larger screen.

6. It is physically possible to do it... It will depend on the verizon store if they let you remove the security backing and allow you to put your card in to test it out...

Hope this helps!
Closed Thread