titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: Up
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Milksync vs Syncje for wireless tasks syncing

Please Login to Remove!

All,

I'm trying to decide which app to go with as far as syncing tasks with my bb tasks wirelessly. I have an account with RTM and mobical and have both apps working on a trial basis. I would like your valued opinions on both products and if you had to choose, which one would you ultimately go with.

Here's my take on the matter: Milksync/RTM works like a dream. I happen to like this a lot as I have Google mail, calendar, and contacts synced wirelessly through BIS/google sync. Bonus, RTM can be added and edited from the google calendar so I do not have to go to another site for editing tasks. Main drawback, milksync costs $25/yr and I'd prefer it if I only pay once for the app. Not a fan of subscription software. Second, it didn't sync past tasks that were entered on my bb before I registered RTM.

SyncJe also works fine. Pay $35 once and be done with it. Can sync contacts, calendar, and tasks but only on their server. Syncs past tasks from the bb to the server though and pushed it to RTM. Main drawback, can't find a way to sync with google apps as I'd like to have one place for all of my wireless syncing needs. Second, it would be another app on my bb in addition to google sync. Third, the free service could go out of business at any time, witness the recession going round the world. This kind of bothers me a bit, but I can ride it out as long as I have weekly backups on my pc thru DM.

Anyone else can chime in and give their take on this? I'm basically looking for a strong hint of which app to go with as I'm going to go with one and dump the other. Just don't know which one though as both are really good. If there are others that do the same thing but can one up these two, let me know so I can check it out.

I've looked at notifysync, zimbra (looks like a winner here as I use linux but its another platform to sync with, argh), rtm4bb (replaces bb tasks, not what I want). I'm not interested in hosted exchange services, because I'm not a fan of subscription fees so that rules those out.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Well, I guess no one has an opinion on this. Anyhow, I decided not to go with either.

Last edited by titetanium; 02-01-2009 at 08:25 PM..
Old 02-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
zGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

I am someone who relies on Outlook and iCal (via Entourage) syncing, so wirelessly syncing my BB seems redundant and costly. Besides, isn't the G1 is all about gmail syncing? If you rely so much on Google Cal then you might be better off with one.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Jaime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: Claro Chile

check bbrtm.org
Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
pretzelb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
check bbrtm.org
Neat. I need to look at that.

Also, I think Toodledo (which offers many free features like RTM) has a BB interface being created by another company. No idea on pricing and beta isn't even started yet.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

I looked at bbrtm, it replaces the native bb tasks which I don't want. However, I have looked at funambol bb plugin and it seems to do the trick for the price (free). Only problem is that it couldn't interface with google cal and contacts but it'll have to do for now. Syncje does do a nice job, but for some reason RTM messes up the notes from the tasks I enter on my bb tasks. It kind of drove me crazy that I have to clean that up on my bb, mobical, and thunderbird, then resync the tasks correctly between the 3.

Currently, I'm using funambol sync plugin on both the bb and thunderbird and the tasks sync correctly both ways so far. The only hitch is that I can't edit directly from the website as it doesn't display tasks or notes in the cloud. Not exactly a deal-breaker but the more I can sync without outlook the better.

I remember syncing with evolution: calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes some 2 - 3 yrs ago with the syncje/scheduleworld combo on my old 7100t. I didn't like evolution because it was so bloated but it looks and almost acts like outlook if you're a linux user.
Closed Thread