Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:06 PM   #21
statustray

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I have installed vlingo and it works pretty good too

Hopefully they will release a version that works with bluetooth as I am an avid bluetooth user. Other than that, this app is AWESOME!!
Old 12-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #22
HiRoll3r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by statustray View Post
Ok, I have installed vlingo and it works pretty good too

Hopefully they will release a version that works with bluetooth as I am an avid bluetooth user. Other than that, this app is AWESOME!!
It works with bluetooth, you just can't (to my knowledge) activate it via your headset. Still need to press the mapped button on the BB.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:11 AM   #23
SGRacer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRoll3r View Post
Yep.
No its not compatable with .75. It was very buggy and caused reboots and lockups. It probably will with 83 too. And will continue to until a new vlingo version for storm is released.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:48 AM   #24
HiRoll3r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGRacer View Post
No its not compatable with .75. It was very buggy and caused reboots and lockups. It probably will with 83 too. And will continue to until a new vlingo version for storm is released.
Hmm. Worked fine for me and the three other people with Storms that I know, on both OSs (I'm the only one on .83) with absolutely none of the problems you describe.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #25
statustray

Quote:
It works with bluetooth, you just can't (to my knowledge) activate it via your headset. Still need to press the mapped button on the BB.
That's very interesting you say that because according to Vlingo's FAQ 2.0, it states:

===
Can I use vlingo with my Bluetooth headset?
Vlingo cannot currently support Bluetooth headsets. We recognize this feature is important for many of our users, and we're looking forward to adding it once it becomes technically feasible on this platform.
===

How were you able to get it working with your bluetooth??

Thanks in advance
Old 12-21-2008, 07:44 AM   #26
Neurobit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Hmm. Worked fine for me and the three other people with Storms that I know, on both OSs (I'm the only one on .83) with absolutely none of the problems you describe.
That's strange.
I had mine working fine on .76 (I skipped installing .75).
I'm on .83 and still no issues whatsoever.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:58 PM   #27
Doctor Neutron
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

You CAN get into trouble with this 4.6 vlingo on a 4.7.0.75 Storm: try stuff like "run/start media" . HA HA ! It will be ok - just remove the battery and start over AND: don't do it again. Remember always - do good - avoid bad.

I was able to edit an existing text file with vlingo by opening the file with the House editor (MemoPad), selecting some text, copying it, switching to vlingo and creating a new text file with not much in it, and then pasting. Hot dog !
Old 12-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #28
cybermikey3
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mobile

got it working. nice app

Last edited by cybermikey3; 12-25-2008 at 10:19 PM..
Old 12-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #29
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: STORM
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
Before posting a mommy / daddy comment, do your homework about the app. Vlingo is software that translates your voice into text and or commands, therefore the user can write an email by recording his / her voice. Which IMHO is much safer than attempting to text while driving, which is terrible.
Which I believe, you still will have to handle the phone at some point, which again, is dangerous.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:54 PM   #30
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: STORM
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudres View Post
Should I point out that texting while driving is incredibly dangerous. Even if you can do it you put other innocent people at risk. No matter how important you think you are, nothing you are doing can't wait a few minutes. Try thinking about other people.
I had a customer the other day who thought it was funny that a few of his sales people had actually been in collisions because they didn't have enough self control to stay away from the phone while driving.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #31
jrice8002003

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudres View Post
Should I point out that texting while driving is incredibly dangerous. Even if you can do it you put other innocent people at risk. No matter how important you think you are, nothing you are doing can't wait a few minutes. Try thinking about other people.
vlingo now makes it safer to send SMS while driving than ever before. speaking into a phone to send an SMS is no different than talking on the phone while driving. are you telling me you don't do that? heck, even listening to MUSIC while driving could be considered more dangerous. if you would kindly step down from your high horse, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #32
StuartV

Model: 9550

Thanks for posting about vlingo. I never really heard of it before yesterday. I downloaded and installed it yesterday and I love the concept! And I am amazed at how well it transcribes my speech - even while driving (in a car with a moderately noisy cabin). It even worked to transcribe speech spoken into my Bluetooth headset (while holding down the convenience key on my phone). Unfortunately, it caused my phone to reboot about 3 times, just during my drive home.

I am running OS .90.

It worked fine the first few messages I sent. Trouble seemed to start when I tried to dictate part of a message, stop and let it translate, then tried to dictate some more text to apppend to what I had already dictated. I haven't had much time to experiment and get real confirmation, but it seems like, once I try to dictate that second chunk of the message body, it breaks vlingo, and it won't work correctly again until I do a battery pull. And frequently, trying to continue using vlingo just causes the phone to reset.
Verizon 9550
Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #33
k9th
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: 30D86D60

I am running .90 and have had no luck at all getting it up and running. I have manually set all permissions to "allow" but when I launch the app it goes into portrait mode, brings up the full keyboard and asks me to agree to terms but the screen will not highlight any buttons for me to push to agree to the terms.

any ideas?

Just reloaded it and got it working. The problem with mine was that the screen scroll is backwards - at least on mine. If I want the vLingo screen to go down I have to swipe it upwards. Once I stumbled onto that little nugget - no problem

Last edited by k9th; 01-27-2009 at 09:19 PM..
Old 01-28-2009, 01:54 AM   #34
PBSD
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Default behind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
Before posting a mommy / daddy comment, do your homework about the app. Vlingo is software that translates your voice into text and or commands, therefore the user can write an email by recording his / her voice. Which IMHO is much safer than attempting to text while driving, which is terrible.
Dang, I am pretty far behind on the tech loop here...
1.) I didn't know .83 was out yet, what is the link for that OS
2.) What is the link for Vlingo?
sounds awesome
Old 01-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #35
Kopter

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon (BES)

ok... so what am I missing here?
I get the Vligo concept but I still have to look at the screen, touch the screen and generally pay attention to my device to assure accuracy. How anyone can say that this app makes it SAFER to send email/SMS' is beyond me. It is NOT just like talking on a phone because once you say your recipient's name, check the accuracy of the message (come on.. you KNOW you check it), you need to hit SEND... by touching the screen. Then, if you have spell check enabled, you need to look at the screen and accept/change words (if nec). THEN you need to acknowledge that the spell check is complete and again.. hit send. So, IMHO, no difference between normal email/text sending method and this app.
No soap box here, so before you consider flaming me I am simply expressing my opinion. Use Vligo if you want.... maybe YOU can do so while driving. I can't because I find it more distracting to me. That said, I have in the past and still sometimes do text while driving... I am trying NOT to... really... I am trying. Because I do fear that one day I might become a member of the 'shoulda, coulda, woulda' club; while extricating myself from the rear bumper of the car in front of me. I try to ask myself... am I really THAT important/ is my email/sms really THAT important that I can't wait a little while to send. Or better yet... maybe I should simply pull off the road, put the car in park and BANG away at my Storm until my heart is content.
So while I work through this madness, stay behind me if you are driving... you can spot me because I am the idiot driving with his knees, looking down and weaving.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Kopter; 01-28-2009 at 08:56 AM..
Old 01-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #36
jrice8002003

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBSD View Post
Dang, I am pretty far behind on the tech loop here...
1.) I didn't know .83 was out yet, what is the link for that OS
2.) What is the link for Vlingo?
sounds awesome
not sure about .83, i don't have a storm and i don't see it as a sticky at the top of the storm thread. as for vlingo, you can get it here:

vlingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopter View Post
ok... so what am I missing here?
I get the Vligo concept but I still have to look at the screen, touch the screen and generally pay attention to my device to assure accuracy. How anyone can say that this app makes it SAFER to send email/SMS' is beyond me. It is NOT just like talking on a phone because once you say your recipient's name, check the accuracy of the message (come on.. you KNOW you check it), you need to hit SEND... by touching the screen. Then, if you have spell check enabled, you need to look at the screen and accept/change words (if nec). THEN you need to acknowledge that the spell check is complete and again.. hit send. So, IMHO, no difference between normal email/text sending method and this app.
No soap box here, so before you consider flaming me I am simply expressing my opinion. Use Vligo if you want.... maybe YOU can do so while driving. I can't because I find it more distracting to me. That said, I have in the past and still sometimes do text while driving... I am trying NOT to... really... I am trying. Because I do fear that one day I might become a member of the 'shoulda, coulda, woulda' club; while extricating myself from the rear bumper of the car in front of me. I try to ask myself... am I really THAT important/ is my email/sms really THAT important that I can't wait a little while to send. Or better yet... maybe I should simply pull off the road, put the car in park and BANG away at my Storm until my heart is content.
So while I work through this madness, stay behind me if you are driving... you can spot me because I am the idiot driving with his knees, looking down and weaving.

My 2 cents.
the more you use vlingo, the better it gets. this is straight from their FAQ page:

Vlingo gets better the more you use it. It begins to adapt to your voice as quickly as the first few times you speak to it. The learning continues as long as you use the product.

It also learns the words, phrases, and sentences you commonly speak. If vlingo makes a mistake and you correct it, vlingo will learn to avoid making the same mistake again later.

Vlingo also learns from what other users say and uses that knowledge to improve its accuracy for you.

i agree that some screen glancing is required, but FAR less for me since i can do everything with one hand. on the full QWERTY before, 2 thumbs to text was a must, a death sentence if you're doing it while driving. it's not like i make it my hobby to go around texting while driving, but in a pinch, it's great for me.
Closed Thread