Old 01-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority
Default Going back to the Curve

Please Login to Remove!

It was a hard decision but after fighting the quirks of the Storm for a month and a few weeks I decided to go back to the Curve (8330)

I LOVE the concept of the Storm but it's just not for me..... My son loves his and you could not pry it out of his paws if you wanted....

Verizon was awesome enough to ship me a Curve even though my 30-day worry free guarantee was up a few days ago... They are sending me a Curve and even credited my account the price difference...

It's been a great trial for me and I will be keeping an eye on this subforum to see how the Storm is coming along!

Kris
Old 01-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

For us people on the fence, what were your reasons?

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Landscape / Portrait mode is a major peeve here.... Half the time it gets stuck on wrong mode and it is a pain to get it into the correct mode...

Ring, ring, ring... I hit answer put phone to my ear and well.... It rings in my ear! Hit answer again, put phone to my ear and..... It rings in my ear, again ect........

The UI takes too many clicks to accomplish anything over the previous UI versions... Ie... 83xx, 87xx, 81xx ect.....

Those are my main gripes and why I am going back to the Curve.... Do I think these issues will be fixed? I hope so, but I can't see the UI issue getting changed and I am not willing to wait out OS updates to fix issues that should have been solved before it was released.... My .02........

Kris

Last edited by LunkHead; 01-16-2009 at 08:51 PM..
Old 01-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
hell
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BBPP
PIN: N/A
Carrier: SimpleMobile

nice info, pure and simple.....
Old 01-17-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
acole10000
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: VZW

I am a little confused as a few days ago you were saying you love your Storm, I am happy that you are coming out of the closet as a frustrated Storm user. I so badly wanna love this phone, that big sexy screen is so alluring but behind the good looks there is nothing but trouble. THIS PHONE IS LIKE MY FIRST GIRLFRIEND.

How could Verzion and RIM accept such a problem plagued device/OS, it needs so much work and it needs it now and still after all is fixed I think a keyboard and trackball are still better.

I just gotta imagine that 50,000 +/- Storm owners are just as frustrated and want it to be better.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone

I"m happy with mine (except for the new OS upgrade, battery life sucks) I honestly think it's one of the best phones i've ever had :s... it does EVERYTHING I want in a phone. Backs up automatically my SMS's and forwards them to my email, keeps AIM and MSN on 24/7, emails right away, facebook... I mean... what else? I think typing on this phone is easier than on my curve! lol. I can also now type and not look at the screen, and even with one hand something that I could NEVER do with my curve.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
addiecool

PIN: Nah!! Forget it
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Landscape / Portrait mode is a major peeve here.... Half the time it gets stuck on wrong mode and it is a pain to get it into the correct mode...

Ring, ring, ring... I hit answer put phone to my ear and well.... It rings in my ear! Hit answer again, put phone to my ear and..... It rings in my ear, again ect........

The UI takes too many clicks to accomplish anything over the previous UI versions... Ie... 83xx, 87xx, 81xx ect.....

Those are my main gripes and why I am going back to the Curve.... Do I think these issues will be fixed? I hope so, but I can't see the UI issue getting changed and I am not willing to wait out OS updates to fix issues that should have been solved before it was released.... My .02........

Kris
Exactly the same problem here. I tried my best to love the Storm but only hated it more day by day. It is being bought by someone tomorrow and I feel a little sad to sell it but I could not keep up with the frustration.

Come to think of it I go back to the Bold today and WOW it feels I have got a phone from the future. This when I was earlier using a Bold. Believe me Storm users... Try the Bold/Curve after using the Storm for a few days and it feels like heaven....
Old 01-17-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Kris,

I am glad that you shared your decision with us. I love my storm, however there have been a few occasions where I have felt like throwing it at a wall. While things seem to be getting better with OS updates, it's still not where it needs to be. I am going to stick it out, I do love this device. Secretly I am eyeballing the new curve that will eventually make it's way to verizon.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Carrier: VZW Bold

I personally really like the Storm. First thing, it's a touch screen, so it is going to be different. The only real problem is the landscape to portrait view, but you just have to wait a second longer. The screen size is great and the screen quality is even better. Itxxx8217;s just a BB you have to get used to.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
paulpo

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post

Kris
I couldn't have said it better. I made the change back to my 8703 yesterday. I gave the Storm EVERY chance. I wanted to like it, and there were things I did like. The phone call quality was excellent. The way it handles email attachments was great. Visual voice mail was great. The camera was even useful to me once or twice.

The fact that it was A) difficult to answer a call is unforgivable; B) the "speed" dial was anything but speedy; and C) typing/editing is absolute agony. My manual dexterity is very good, I don't have fat fingers. It's the physics. It takes more energy to displace one big button than a small button, and it takes longer for it to rebound. Not to mention the inaccuracy in selecting keys you can't feel, and the painful editing paradigm.

If you are undecided, be sure about one thing: for people who message and email a lot, typing on the Storm is AGONY. Frequently 3 or 4 times as long to get a message ready to send compared with my 8703.

It has been such a pleasure to be back to a physical keyboard it far outweighs the things I lose by abandoning the storm.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #11
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

A few more observations i'd like to pass along...

I echo all of what paulpo stated above..

In addition:

There have been a few time I remove it from the holster to answer a call and it reboots... And that leads me to my next point.... 10 minute reboots are unacceptable! And my next point... BlackBerry has always been known for their stability! They are rock solid! This is far from rock solid.. Will the kinks get ironed out? Sure they will...

I think anyone who is a new or newer user of BB's will get along fine with the Storm... Long time users will have a hard time adjusting to the numerous extra clicks needed to accomplish what was once an easy process (83xx, 81xx, 87xx ect..)

Trying to edit the text in an email or SMS is woefully painful, if not a sheer waste of time... I find it easier to discard the email and start all over...

This is not meant to be a Rant... If it was I would have put it in that section... I look at it more as a discussion for users on the fence to decide if they really want the Storm... It's not for everyone! Some will love it, like my son, some will hate it, and some like me, will be on the fence and just can't deal with the quirks of this device / OS...

Kris
Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
RNFORU

Model: Curve
Carrier: Verizon

I just turned in my storm today, and got the curve because of the same issues. I love my curve though. It is great!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #13
acole10000

Carrier: VZW

I yearn for the day I can have a Curve 8900 or a Bold on VZW....
Old 01-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
tribalhomie

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by acole10000 View Post
I yearn for the day I can have a Curve 8900 or a Bold on VZW....
I feel the same way. I just ordered 8330 from VZW. I wish it was the 8900 or the Bold so bad. Oh well it will do until one of those two comes to VZW.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #15
Blackberryer

Model: 8830

I've had my Storm for well over a month now and I've had zero issues with it. I almost feel bad for all the folks who are having problems because I feel like they're not getting a true representation of the phone. I loved my Curve, but the Storm feels like "home" to me now. I can't imagine not owning one going forward.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #16
crucifixion
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
Secretly I am eyeballing the new curve that will eventually make it's way to verizon.
I'm curious what phone are you talking about and when will it come to verizon
Old 01-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #17
BigA

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifixion View Post
I'm curious what phone are you talking about and when will it come to verizon
BlackBerry - New BlackBerry Phone - BlackBerry Curve 8900
General 8900 Series Discussion - Javelin - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community
Old 01-18-2009, 03:48 AM   #18
Speakeasy

Carrier: AT&T

This is why I went with the Bold with AT&T. The way I see it, when its time I can upgrade HOPEFULLY they will have the second or third gen Storm out.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #19
doublestack

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakeasy View Post
This is why I went with the Bold with AT&T. The way I see it, when its time I can upgrade HOPEFULLY they will have the second or third gen Storm out.
I'm with you. I recently upgraded from the iPhone 3G (no corporate support for iPhone) to the Bold. I loved it; but, was pressured to switch to VZW due to corporate discounts, etc. So I cancelled my AT&T service and purchased the Storm. All I can say is I miss the Bold!

My history includes the Blueberry, 7100 series, 8703 and 8830. Big BB fan; however, it just seems to take a lot longer to complete simple tasks. So, it looks like I will go against the grain, switch back to AT&T (service is sub-par compared to VZW IMHO) and re-purchase the Bold.

So, hopefully, a newer Bold-type of BB will come to VZW in the very near future.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #20
radar-eclipse

Hey doublestack, can you give me the +/-'s of the iPhone vs the Bold? I have a Storm and I am going AT&T with one of those other phones. I've been a Mac guy for 13 years so it should be an iPhone, but the Bold wasn't all bad. I've already owned an iTouch to use as an address books (1100 contacts) and iPod for music. The Bold doesn't have very many speed dials, and the iPhone probably doesn't either, but with that many contacts, you can easily find them with one finger touch. I'm a small business owner so I don't have to worry about Corp discounts or Enterprise email. I just need the right device for my needs.
Closed Thread