Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 AM   #41
qsimpson
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobild

Please Login to Remove!

I dont think this is a software update issue, but a defective issue with blackberry curve. Because I had this problem on the older 4.2 os exactly as you described, when its plugged into charging source its fine. However when doing more intense data stuff like using phone for call it would shut off.

Also when it would turn off and you had to remove battery to put it back in the battery would be substantially lower than it should be. as if the phone was sucking through the battery alot faster than it should. Mine quickly degenerated to the point where you could be on the phone only for like 1-2 minutes if lucky then it would shut off. It even got to the point where removing battery then putting it back in sometimes would get to the "T-Mobile" load up then just shut back off and didnt have enough juice to get past that screen. I am now on my second blackberry and hope I dont get the same problem. I had this and know others that had this and not have the 4.5 software or ever have.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #42
bahurd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Random Reboots

Sorry, I can't totally agree.

I have had my curve from early with TMO and had the same issues with 4.2 from time to time.

First started to act up when in my office calling via Hotspot@Home. Usually, in this case it would be 'plugged in' via a usb charging cable.

Other times, I would be driving and would notice in the middle of a call the phone would be locked up. At the time, it was rare but not uncommon. GSM, Edge, UMA... didn't matter.

Because I had a habit of running latest beta OS I decided to go back to the TMO approved release (4.2.xx whatever, at the time). Didn't resolve anything.

But... after a while, the frequency became less and less until early Dec when it started up in earnest. That is when TMO sent me a new unit (refurb I suppose).

Like I said in an earlier post, this unit came with .82 on it (latest TMO release) and it locked up within 1 hour.

I upgraded to .110 (I think or .107... whatever) and same thing. Within 1 hr phone locked up. Pretty frustrating and if it wasn't for being happy with TMO I would have gone back to VZW.

I decided to start over and wiped the system clean and reinstalled .82 official from TMO. Nothing extra except for Worldmate Live and a couple themes. Everything is enabled and now for over a week have had no lockups/reboots.

Your mileage may vary but for me, this has resolved things.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #43
jrfaulkin

Model: 8900

Hey CurveDependent, I am having the exact same issue as you. I also notice that when on a call I start getting static and then the phone shuts off. I've tried the same steps as you with no luck.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #44
CurveDependant

Model: 8320T

Well, I guess an update is in order then. I finally got T-mobile to give me a new phone free without a contract. The new curve has worked fine (actually its not connecting to the UMA but my network stinks too, so I have to test it at a hotspot or something). AT&T says their refurbs are phones that have been returned during the 30 day trial period -- I imagine most of T-mobile's are too. I think they just don't ask what they are returning them for.

I would suggest you push t-mobile and try a couple of refurbs, if that doesn't work, resolve to leave and make sure they know you mean it (very nicely).

I should say, that T-mobile was smart to make good, because my I frequently go over my minutes (reimbursed from work) and I will stick around as long as the phone lasts at the very least.

Last edited by CurveDependant; 01-12-2009 at 11:34 PM..
Old 01-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #45
graffitimonkie

Model: Curve
Carrier: T Mobile

I have been having this issue, and it looks like there isn't a final solution for this at all. I have never had a problem with my phone for 8 months straight, and began to resolve that the 4.5 upgrade might be my culprit because the issue occurred only in the past 2 weeks, but I have installed 4.5.0.81 since T-Mobile made their official release to the public.

I had actually made a post elsewhere and this is my status thus far.

Quote:
Here is an update, I still haven't received the new battery from T-Mobile yet, it is still in the mail.

I have done a complete re-install of the 4.5 OS, and it was not a viable solution, the phone still blacks out.

Here are some new details for my phone's strangeness though:
1. Now the UMA icon won't pop up, I am hooked into my home WiFi network, it shows the name of my WiFi network on the face of the phone, yet the upper right corner displays EDGE in caps, and I do get the WiFi speeds. So UMA icon for some strange reason has vanished.

2. Just earlier when I was out I tried to access Google Maps, and apparently the data download shut my phone off, it wouldn't restart without a battery pull. I went back to the house, did exactly the same thing I did earlier with Google Maps only this time I had the phone connected to a wall charger, problem did not occur this time while getting data from the network.

3. If I'm on a phone call and the phone is about to shut off on me, I will hear a hissy static noise over the earpiece, this is a noise that is noticeable to the other person on the line as well.

4. Although I only did this once, therefore I don't think this is any statistically strong evidence of much yet, but I turned off WiFi on my phone, and ran it on the T-Mobile network only (I have always had both WiFi and normal phone networks on) and did exactly the same thing I did in step 2, this time I did not get powered off.

Conclusion, still waiting for the new battery but am beginning to think that something may be defective with my actual phone, anyone experience this problem and had any solution to their problem? Could there be a conflict with having both networks on at once, and if so what is the fix because what is the point of having a curve with WiFi access if I can't use it.
I am one of those unemployed trying to get interviews, and really can't afford this annoyance from my only phone line. I never had this problem with the Pearl, and the Curve has been good to me for 8 months straight, this is a ridiculous issue to see so many people having this problem.

Update: I just wiped my phone completely with Jl_Cmder, installed an older version of the OS 4.2 not install any of the applications that I have had on the phone, let it run on loop for a ten minute phone call and at around the time it hit 10 minutes the phone blacked out on me again...

Last edited by graffitimonkie; 01-14-2009 at 03:54 AM..
Old 01-15-2009, 03:16 AM   #46
graffitimonkie

Update: The new battery arrived, and I am currently running on 4.5.110 and the new battery seemed to have stopped the problem as of right now.

I made a 15 minute call with my friend and it did not shut down.

I am slowly reloading my applications onto the phone such as Jivetalk, and PDF reader, will see if things work out this week. Going to put the phone to normal usage limits once again and keep you updated.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #47
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ney for your thoughts
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffitimonkie View Post
Update: The new battery arrived, and I am currently running on 4.5.110 and the new battery seemed to have stopped the problem as of right now.

I made a 15 minute call with my friend and it did not shut down.

I am slowly reloading my applications onto the phone such as Jivetalk, and PDF reader, will see if things work out this week. Going to put the phone to normal usage limits once again and keep you updated.
Best wishes to you on both the new battery trial and the job search.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:46 PM   #48
graffitimonkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
Best wishes to you on both the new battery trial and the job search.
The battery thus far is doing well, hopefully it stays that way but the moment it doesn't I'll be sure to update.

For anyone whose in this situation I strongly advice running to your local phone store you signed up for the phone plan at and asking them for a new battery. If they say "We have them for sale" let them know that you know Blackberry warrants their batteries for up to a year, so you want a replacement. They should be able to switch your battery out with a 30-day return phone's battery if they have one in stock or ask you to call customer support who will ship you one.

As for the job search, it isn't going as well.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #49
jrfaulkin

Model: 8900

I just wanted to update you guys with my progress on this problem. I ended up buying the Seidio 1500mAh battery a week ago. I have had no issues since then. So, I guess you could say the original RIM battery was the culprit. I'm surprised that after only a year of moderate use that the batteries fail. I recommend getting the third party battery since we know that the OEM batteries are defective, or at least they are not good.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #50
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ney for your thoughts
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks for updating us jrfaulkin. Seidio does a good job with batteries, as I've bought from them a couple of times in the past.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #51
RaullyRAL

Carrier: T-mobile
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfaulkin View Post
I just wanted to update you guys with my progress on this problem. I ended up buying the Seidio 1500mAh battery a week ago. I have had no issues since then. So, I guess you could say the original RIM battery was the culprit. I'm surprised that after only a year of moderate use that the batteries fail. I recommend getting the third party battery since we know that the OEM batteries are defective, or at least they are not good.
I've recently started getting the auto power off issue. I have two OEM batteries. I'm going to try a Sendio one. For now so I won't miss important calls in the middle of the night I'm going to have to do battery pull before I go to bed. Anyone else have any success with this issue?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #52
mikeinnj

Ok - add me to the list of people having this issue. I *might* have some added details (also posted to rim's support forum area)...

This crash started happening to me about 5-6 weeks ago (change office locations).

In the past couple of days, the frequency of the crashes have been increasing. I did notice that all of my issues happen within a small geographic area. The only "special" thing about this location is the proximity to operating Marine radar (commercial ferry operation nearby).

I have a second device (8800) that does not have the issue... leading me to suspect that wi-fi interference from the radar was perhaps responsible.

Log messages captured from one of yesterday's crashes pointed to BT.

Today I turned off bt for a while and experienced a crash.

I then turned off wi-fi and re-enabled bt. Things were stable for a while.

I went at lunchtime to the closest indoor location to the ferry. Saw said ferry and waited while playing with the device. No crash. Decided to do a site survey (for fun) The device crashed the moment I enabled wi-fi.

I've now got bt back on and wi-fi off and things are stable again.

I normally run UMA at home with no issues - I've got calls on UMA well over an hour without issue - have used sms, email and browsed while on the call (on speaker).

I frequently use the device while driving (BT) - again, no crashes.

The crashes only occur when I'm in the one location (within about 1000' or so) and, it seems, with wi-fi enabled (and possibly BT as well... haven't tested wifi on and bt off).

I would really like a resolution to this - turning off wi-fi at work is a PITA.

Can anyone else having the issue confirm that a) wifi is enabled and b) proximity to some significant source of 2.4GHz rf?

Some additional notes:

When it crashes and I'm in the vicinity of the ferry, I cannot recover unless it's plugged in.

When I recover not plugged in the battery indicator shows extremely low. A second battery pull brings the level back to where it was before the crash (or nearly).

When I recover while plugged in, I don't see the low battery condition.

Recovery requires a battery pull.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #53
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

My Sprint 8330 reboots itself after I download a video from YouTube and hit play. (It does play the video fine after it reboots.) It also reboots itself sometimes if, while I am playing a Magmic game, someone calls or I receive a large email message.

I'm on OS .131.

I think the 8300 series, for whatever reason, can only gracefully handle a certain amount of data at once.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #54
rtcsi

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

To add to the mix, I've been having this same problem on my 8310 AT&T curve. Tried new OEM battery with no luck; tried removing my memory card, still crashed. Today I got a replacement refurb and it crashed within an hour of reloading all my info from the old phone. It's exactly the same as everyone's been saying, black screen that won't restart without a battery pull or plugging in to the wall. The really odd thing is my curve had been fine for over a year and a half with no new downloaded programs or themes. It just started acting crazy out of the blue a week ago. On the new phone i was using the new wall charger that came with it. I guess the next step is trying to reload the OS. I'll post again once its done to see if it helps at all. Anyone else found a fix yet?
Old 04-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #55
Straycat

Model: 8310

I'm on my 2nd 8310. The guy at the AT&T store said I'm the only one who's had a problem. I don't even have to be using it when it shuts down. Battery pull is the only way it will turn back on.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #56
rtcsi

Model: 9000

After going back to the AT&T store with my new (refurb) replacement that was using a brand new battery and doing the same things, I was given a new battery and so far, a week later, the problems have gone away completely. My guess is there's something crazy going on with some of the OEM batteries, but fourth times the charm for me. Hope this helps somebody.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:38 AM   #57
brbishop

Model: 8120
Default Has anyone figured this out?

I finally had some time tonight to do some searching as I am on my third Pearl 8120 from TMO. Did a search and this thread came up. I have used a BB on TMO for about 5 years or so, maybe a bit longer. Have had a Pearl 8120 for about two years now. Late last year started having problems like this and now I am on my third one, still with problems.

Sometimes it happens when I gently bump the unit. Nothing big like throwing it, just a bump...like laying it down on the table or putting it in my pants pocket. Have tried everything including reloading OS, new battery, reformatting memory card, etc.

Has anyone come up with a solution to what is causing the BB to crash like this?

Thanks for everyone's input.
Closed Thread