Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
laurenslp

Model: NA
PIN: N/A
Carrier: undecided
Default Which Blackberry to buy?

Please Login to Remove!

Newbie here with a question. I am very new to Blackberry technology. Basically I want to know if a Blackberry would be good for my needs and if so, which one to buy?

I am a speech pathologist who does in home visits and consultations. Our company has just recently gone to everything online. Previously we kept paper files/copies of everything. Now I must access a website and type all my visit info into the system. I am wondering if a Blackberry would be a good idea to access and type my info in while on the road. If so which model would I need?

THank you for any help.

Last edited by laurenslp; 12-18-2008 at 10:20 PM..
Old 12-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
piester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: att

yes a blackberry would be a great idea. you didnt mention if you personally would be buying the device yourself or if the company would be. but all in all i would say go with the curve. unless the company is paying. then go with the bold lol. but either device will meet your demands
Old 12-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
laurenslp

Thanks for the input...I will be buying it as I am an independent contractor. So, is the curve the 8300 series?
Old 12-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
radimus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Are you planning on using the Blackberry to enter your information into the company web site? Or are you planning on typing notes into the Blackberry for later when you sit down in front of a computer and enter the info into their web site?
Old 12-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

First of all, figure out which provider you will use. I see that you have "undecided" in that block. Look at where you will use the device, where you live, work, travel, play, etc. Don't assume that any carrier will work, because they all have coverage issues. Once you pick the carrier, pick the phone and plans.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:52 PM   #6
laurenslp

I would be using the Blackberry to enter info directly into the website, instead of taking notes by hand and coming to my desktop to enter them in later...would this work? I know I sound ignorant but so far I have only used my cell phone for calling, I am new to this!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
laurenslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
First of all, figure out which provider you will use. I see that you have "undecided" in that block. Look at where you will use the device, where you live, work, travel, play, etc. Don't assume that any carrier will work, because they all have coverage issues. Once you pick the carrier, pick the phone and plans.
I will first look at my current cell phone provider which has decent coverage in the areas that I work.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenslp View Post
I will first look at my current cell phone provider which has decent coverage in the areas that I work.
And that is? It would help to know if you are CDMA or GSM. And are you in a 3G area or not?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:43 PM   #9
laurenslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
And that is? It would help to know if you are CDMA or GSM. And are you in a 3G area or not?
Cincinnati Bell...I believe it is GSM. I think it is 3G area...can you see how new I am to this?

Before I came to this forum I tried going into a Cinti Bell store on two occasions. They seem to be always busy and I couldn't wait over half an hour to talk to someone at the time. I am starting with Cinti Bell because I have home phone, cell phone and home internet bundled with them already.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Last edited by laurenslp; 12-18-2008 at 10:47 PM..
Old 12-19-2008, 05:24 AM   #10
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

For typing notes, the Blackberry can be difficult and slow. It works great for me but a lot of the guys I work with won't even think about punching out more than a short email on it.

I took a look at the Cincinnati Bell web site and looks like the only choice that would come close to working for you is the 8310 or 8320. The BB has a memopad applet where you can type your notes. If you use Outlook on your desktop, the BB has a program called Desktop Manager that will sync your notes. I haven't used memopad in a long time but, as I recall, it had a limited message length so maybe others can comment. I use ideaMatrix for my notes. The nice thing about the BB is the keypad is probably the best on a mobile device and you can cut and paste from memopad into your browser.

If you sync with Outlook, you can easily just cut and paste on the desktop too.

You'll need to consider how quickly you can type using the keypad, how long your notes will be and the cost, but otherwise it should meet your needs. You may also want to look at a netbook, no monthly fee, wifi and a larger keyboard screen. For notes, the battery can probably get you through the day.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:25 AM   #11
radimus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (8700c)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenslp
I would be using the Blackberry to enter info directly into the website, instead of taking notes by hand and coming to my desktop to enter them in later...would this work? I know I sound ignorant but so far I have only used my cell phone for calling, I am new to this!
If that's your plan then you need to actually test the web site with a Blackberry. The web browser on the Blackberry is limited in what it can support compared to a full PC-based browser. The screen size affects how the pages are viewed and can affect usability. Flash is not supported pretty much at all and the support for Java is limited. You really need to test whether you can even access or use the web site on a Blackberry before going any further.

If it turns out that you must use a PC to access the web site, and you want to do so on the road wirelessly, there are still options. Most all carriers have some wireless modem card available. All current Blackberries and many phones allow you to use them as a wireless modem via USB connection to a laptop (called tethering in the business). If you have a capable device tethering might be the more economical option.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:24 AM   #12
French
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Another thought...I think VLingo is capable of taking "dictation" for the purpose of sending e-mails, etc. Maybe another approach would be to stick with notes, but if you can dictate them they wouldn't take nearly as long. Then copy those notes into the site?

I haven't used VLingo personally but I have read about it (I'm on a BES and it won't work for me). Anyway, I think there might be other programs that can do the same thing. This approach adds a step, but if the ability of the software to recognize your voice and reflect it accurately in type is good, I think it would ultimately be faster.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #13
laurenslp

Thanks everyone...finally talked to someone at my Cincinnati Bell store. I am still verifying that the BB Curve can access the site I need it to. If so, I am going to try it since there are no contracts and the phones are heavily discounted.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #14
radimus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (9000)

You're welcome.

Often times the company stores have live demo devices that you can actually use and test. See if yours does before you actually buy anything.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #15
341EastOf
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

It always amazes me how helpful people are on BB Forums. This tread is like the shining example of that.

Sorry, just had to make that general comment.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #16
laurenslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 341EastOf View Post
It always amazes me how helpful people are on BB Forums. This tread is like the shining example of that.

Sorry, just had to make that general comment.
I agree! I was a bit nervous to post since I obviously am not in the same league, technologically speaking, as most of you.

On that note, thanks for all your help!
Closed Thread