mmuras
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T - USA

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curriertech View Post
All that and you don't cite even one example of why you feel this way? What's a Curve got that the Bold doesn't, that a "power user" is going to miss?

I've used and supported almost every BB device since the 7290 (except the 8900 and Storm) and the Bold is easily the best of them all IMO. We've begun rolling them out to our users here and the feedback has been nothing but positive.
Sorry...my biggest concerns are battery life and usefulness.

1) Battery Life: Since, at least for the time being, AT&T is the only provider for the BlackBerry Bold (without modifying the phone) in Texas, I do not think too many of my users if any would care to update their OS...even if I offered to do it for them, they would probably decline because of the time it takes.

(Note: This is under the assumption that AT&T keeps shipping the BlackBerry Bold with 4.6.0.167 for the next 2 or 3 months.)

2) Usefulness: I have seen a few features they might like, such as the super awesome video playback, and camera/video recorder, the 3G network...

But for most of them, they can do exactly what they need to on their curves and would not want to spend the extra time / money on the BlackBerry Bold at this point.

So those users would weigh the costs and not see the value (mostly because they are business users that do not understand / see the affects of a 3G network).

***However...from an CrackBerry Addict like myself...its a windfall type phone...I was hooked on my BlackBerry Curve after 10 minutes of Texting...I touched the BlackBerry Bold and needed only to press the keys in use the Browser...(all in about 30 secs...I bought the High Dollar Drug AKA the Cocaine Berry Bold)

-Cheers-

-mmuras
Old 12-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #22
curriertech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmuras View Post
Sorry...my biggest concerns are battery life and usefulness.

1) Battery Life: Since, at least for the time being, AT&T is the only provider for the BlackBerry Bold (without modifying the phone) in Texas, I do not think too many of my users if any would care to update their OS...even if I offered to do it for them, they would probably decline because of the time it takes.

(Note: This is under the assumption that AT&T keeps shipping the BlackBerry Bold with 4.6.0.167 for the next 2 or 3 months.)

2) Usefulness: I have seen a few features they might like, such as the super awesome video playback, and camera/video recorder, the 3G network...

But for most of them, they can do exactly what they need to on their curves and would not want to spend the extra time / money on the BlackBerry Bold at this point.

So those users would weigh the costs and not see the value (mostly because they are business users that do not understand / see the affects of a 3G network).

***However...from an CrackBerry Addict like myself...its a windfall type phone...I was hooked on my BlackBerry Curve after 10 minutes of Texting...I touched the BlackBerry Bold and needed only to press the keys in use the Browser...(all in about 30 secs...I bought the High Dollar Drug AKA the Cocaine Berry Bold)

-Cheers-

-mmuras
Agreed about .167, no doubt! More than half of our users are content with their current devices, but the more educated/savvy users (or power users as you put it) have been anxiously awaiting simultaneous voice and data as allowed by 3G. For 2 years I've had to fend off that question with "later" and now I can finally answer...."NOW!"
Old 12-17-2008, 12:25 AM   #23
DZD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon Wireless View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 11000 Colosol)

Its nice too. But slower, smaller screen and keypad is not as good. I also use an 8900. I think bold is the winner here.
I thought the 8900 actually had a larger screen? I believe the Bold has a better resolution but I think it is smaller.

Personally, I can't decide between the two (although AT&T may decide for me - if the 8900 isn't available on it - I'll get the bold).

3G sounds appealing just not sure how it would be in the "real world".

Anyone else compare the Bold to the 8900?

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:28 AM   #24
curriertech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZD View Post
I thought the 8900 actually had a larger screen? I believe the Bold has a better resolution but I think it is smaller.

Personally, I can't decide between the two (although AT&T may decide for me - if the 8900 isn't available on it - I'll get the bold).

3G sounds appealing just not sure how it would be in the "real world".

Anyone else compare the Bold to the 8900?

Thanks.
Other way around I think, 8900 is smaller but higher resolution than the bold.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:43 AM   #25
mmuras
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T - USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by curriertech View Post
Other way around I think, 8900 is smaller but higher resolution than the bold.
Yep: -curriertech- is right:

Straight from BB website:

BlackBerry Curve 8900:

Resolution: High resolution 480x360 pixel color display

Link: BlackBerry - Specifications - BlackBerry Curve 8900 Specs

BlackBerry Bold 9000:

Resolution: Half VGA resolution 480 x 320 pixel color display

Link: BlackBerry Bold - Specifications - BlackBerry Bold Specs

The real difference to me is Bold has 3G, but Curve 8900 does not:

BlackBerry Curve 8900:

North America: 850 MHz GSM®/GPRS networks
North America: 1900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
Europe/Asia Pacific: 1800MHz GSM/GPRS networks
Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
EDGE networks

BlackBerry Bold 9000:

Wi-Fi: 802.11a/b/g
UMTS: 2100/1900/850 MHz
North America: 850 MHz GSM/GPRS networks
North America: 1900MHz GSM®/GPRS networks
Europe/Asia Pacific: 1800MHz GSM/GPRS networks
Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
EDGE networks
HSDPA networks

--Past BBs: BB Curve (8320), BB Curve (8330), BB Tour (9630)
--Currently: AT&T - BB Bold (9000), VZW - BB Bold (9650)
Old 12-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #26
williams17
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: n/a

I got my Bold last friday. It's going back. I love the faster processor, but haven't noticed a major change in the 3G vs. Edge speed. Guess I don't use the net as much as most. I do a metric butt ton of texting (23,000 last month) so I like to be able to type. For me, the keypad sucks!! My 8310 has seperation between the buttons which allows for easier typeing. With the 9000 I often hit 2 keys at once. This sucks. It is also considerably larger and my thumb won't "easily" reach across to the far side of the keypad for texting. Not happy with the browser not being in mobile form. My Curve was. This was much easier to surf for me. I use my phone in vibrate most of the time and I can't feel it. If I'm sitting still or sleeping with it on my chest, I can feel it. On my holster, nada!! Also don't care for the themes or the fact that you only get 6 that aren't locked. I like to scroll anytime without unlocking them. And yes, I tried the multi icon theme that unlocks 16 icons. I couldn't get it to let me organize it in a way that was useful to me.

I'm hoping the 8900 will keep the same keypad as the 8310. The processor won't be as fast as the 9000, but hopefully it will be enough faster than the 8310 to please me.
Closed Thread