Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
rvelez

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon & T-Mobile
Default Security unlock using voice commands

Please Login to Remove!

This is my first post with BBF-Thanks in advance for any suggestions or feedback.

Is it possible to use voice commands to bypass a security lock password? In other words, we have a 20 minute timeout policy that locks all BB devices. After 20 minutes of inactivity, the user is forced to enter a device password. Our users find it cumbersome to unlock the device using the keyboard while engaged in activities such as driving.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
soupandsandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvelez View Post
while engaged in activities such as driving.
Unbelievable. Perhaps they should concentrate on driving while driving. Just a thought.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
HungrySage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Telus The Future Is Friendly!

It is, such as driving. I like the thought of the voice password, though I have never heard of one for a blackberry or any phone in general. That would be cool!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
This is my first post with BBF-Thanks in advance for any suggestions or feedback.

Is it possible to use voice commands to bypass a security lock password? In other words, we have a 20 minute timeout policy that locks all BB devices. After 20 minutes of inactivity, the user is forced to enter a device password. Our users find it cumbersome to unlock the device using the keyboard while engaged in activities such as driving.
Not possible without a 3rd party application. Verbal passwords? Doesn't sound very secure to me.

Really... why encourage the use of the device while driving by making it more convenient for them to do so?
Old 12-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
rvelez

Carrier: verizon & T-Mobile

Thanks all. The idea is to get our guys focused on driving as much as possible. People will use their phones while driving and using some sort of verbal method of unlocking the device would be very useful. Can you recommend 3rd utilities within this forum?

Sounds like we have a catch-22 with our security vs. safety practices.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310

I'm not aware of anything currently on the market that will accomplish what you want. But an add-on application would be the only way at this time, since BB doesn't have that ability natively.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
HungrySage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Telus The Future Is Friendly!

[QUOTE=CO_BBTechie;1198017]Doesn't sound very secure to me.
QUOTE]

I think that he meant voice recognition as well. I don't think it would just be useful during driving, but in other scenarios as well. They will come up with that. One day...
Old 12-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
MBW
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110

Quote:

A few months ago, I made a similar suggestion to a RIM insider I know, but with another level of security.

The handset already incorporates speaker-independent speech recognition from one of the top OEM houses in that field. I suggested asking them to extend their component to include speaker-dependent passphrase recognition. You would have to initially "train" the phone by reciting your passphrase (like "The lion roams in the winter" or "Swordfish") into the handset multiple times. Doing that creates a model specific to your voice reciting those phonemes. Once learned, your voice saying the same phrase (in the same way) becomes the key to unlock anything that needs access security. As biometrics go, it's a lot cheaper & easier to incorporate into a smart handset than fingerprint recognition. It also provides a safe way to store login & password information that can auto-feed when requested.

My guess is that the necessary development work will, once approved (which may theoretically have already happened), take almost 2 years, but I could be wrong about this, because the necessary code libraries may already exist, which makes it more of a migration and less of a development issue - at the very earliest, I wouldn't expect to see it before next autumn.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
george57l

Model: 9000
Carrier: O2

I think the OP was on the wrong track. Not a need to have voice password but a need for enabling calls when locked (yep, BB can do that) AND a need for voice dialling to be a Phone function as opposed to a stand-alone app HIDDEN BEHIND A LOCKED BB.

If RIM would just enable voice dialling when BB locked, we'd all be a lot safer on the road!
Closed Thread