Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW/O2 (Intl)

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechariahs View Post
Con's
  • Extremely Laggy
  • Typing is woefully inaccurate

I realize that the "pro" list is larger than the "con", unfortunately the con's are such a PITA. The phone has only been in my possession for 12 hours and I'm seriously considering returning it.
The key thing I found that folks have to get used to (especially myself) is the hover-THEN-click, versus justing clicking on every other device.

My accuracy went up while my speed went down.

Curve > Storm isn't that big of a jump.

8703e > Storm is a bigger jump.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:52 AM   #122
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Exclamation Detailed First Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Yes.
Please share your experiences.
At long last, I have the Storm. First of all, most of the negative reports are due to user incompetence (sorry, I call em as I see em) oroutright bias. While I did observe a few of the so-called problems, none took more than a few minutes to resolve. This phone is different. There is no getting around it and it takes some getting used to.

The biggest piece of advice I have to offer is if you are upgrading and use BIS, it is absolutely essential that you go to the web page and verify that the PIN and ESN have been changed to the new unit. In my case, in spite of the fact that a Verizon service tech (the one on the phone) told me that all my e-mail accounts were working, they weren't. I checked the Service book listing in Advanced Options. You must do this. If you do not see two listings for each e-mail account, with the account e-mail address spelled out, go to the BIS web page, check the PIN and ESN and then re-send the Service books. Much as I like the salesperson in my local store, she swore to me that these listings were not used in the new model. While I found this hard to believe, I was too polite to tell her otherwise. I will speak to her boss on Monday.

Once you have the PIN and ESN changed, it is also essential that you dial *228, then option 1 and let the phone do its activation thing. This must be done after the pin/esn change.

Next, don't expect your phone messages or e-mails to come flooding in as they do with the earlier, more primitive models. I have had the phone about 14 hours and I am just getting e-mails from 8:30 this morning. Phone calls and voicemail took about 5 hours to catch up. (I am in the NY area. This could be very different elsewhere)

To those folks who have difficulty getting calls, you must do the two procedures I outlined above to resolve this problem.

Now: The keyboard. First, Portrait mode. The multi-tap mode seems to work okay in the native applications but is problematic on 3rd party apps. Don't ask me what they are thinking about with the Sure-tap mode. It is the slowest clutsyest method of data entry. Unfortunately, it is the only mode that works with many 3rd party apps. It is an imperfect universe.

On the other hand, in the landscape mode, the virtual keyboard is not bad. It clearly requires a lot of practice. But the comments on poor alignment are way off base. If you touch the screen lightly, it lights up over the key, so unless you are blind, it is difficult to miss a key. Over the course of several hours, and many re-boots during software installation, my time to enter my password was reduced by about 75% from my initial attempts. It just takes practice and you must look at what you are doing. I think that it will end up being about 30% slower than the 8703e. Also, if you have to enter the sameletter twice in a row, lift your finger off the keyboard between letters. This cuts a lot of errors

WRT: The infamous gap. Obviously, none of the people commenting on this have any concept of mechanics. The gap is necessary to allow the touchscreen to move under a wide temperature range for the "click" function.

I have not found the need to put a spacer under the battery.

Third Party Software: Currently the biggest disappointment, but clearly one that can be easily fixed. Here is a quick summary of my results on this so far:

Ascendo Datavault: Works.

Simprit Grid Magic: Although Handango claims it is compatible, it will not sync. I am going to write to Simprit and see what they say. Big disappointment.

Infodev Software All my Infodev programs work beautifully. This is undoubtedly due to their elegant simplicity.

Google Maps: OTA download worked first time. Gives ver 2.3.2 Limited touch screen functionality. Watch for a version specifically made for the Storm. Hopefully it will have the voice activation that the IPhone version has.

BBMaps: Slow with VZ Nav engaged.

VZ Nav: Nice

BBNotePad. Works

E-Mobile Weather: WOrks but could be better

TrafficVizzion: Works nicely, but GPS link does not work and you must use the Suretype mode to get into it the first time

Javatek: TrackIt Vehicle Edition works but Expense Edition Doesn't. Takes some playng to get it to work, but it is all there.

MemoryUp: This nice defrag program works perfectly. It is fully compatible and looks great. While some may question the need to refrag on Java machine, I have found it does help on BB's that have limited memory. Whether it makes a difference on the Storm remains to be seen, but it does work.

Pocketday and PocketDay Lists. Major Bummer. Lists works but main program doesn't. I tried three different versions including the OTA with no success. I am writing them too.

Log2File: Nifty little utility works great.

Other Comments: Storm has no problem with HTML e-mail. Ut us as good as Empower Pro which I have used for a long time. Spell check seems to be okay. It looks like it is on a par with Lexspell.

The Word, Excel and PPT editors are very nice. The best thing about them is that they are native and do not send your sensitive files to someone else's server for processing (and copying and examination and such).

Browser: The native prowser is very nice. It is much better than the one in the 4.2 OS. ALso the brighter larger screen really improves the web experience.

It is absolutely to go through every program and go through the Options to get the settings right. Yes, this is time consuming, but, you get what you pay for.

When you need to reboot, be prepared for a very long wait. It have timed this a number of times and it averages out at 5 minutes. This seems like an eternity (and is). The only marginal bright side is that when it is about halfway through, a progress bar appears in the bottom. It is very thin and if you are not aware of it, it is easy to miss. Hopefully, RIM will realize this and make it wider so that it os visible. It doesn't cost anything to do this guys.

I have only tested the camera under low light. The observations that it is slow are correct. I have not tried the fixes to this, The quality is adequate but not stunning. I suspect that under better lighting, it will be better.

I have not played with the sound or video apps yet. I normally do not use them, but will investigate when time allows.

I have spent about 7 hours working on the phone today, bu a lot of this was due to my loading the 3rd party apps one ata time to o see how they work. I depend on 3rd party software in my work and it is critical that I understand how they install and function. MY guess is that a user who either has no 3rd party software or just a few programs could do a thorough setup in 3 or 4 hours.

I will update this in a few days after I communicate with my 3rd party vendors and see if I can get some of the software to work on the Storm.

These are my first impressions. Overall, I like the phone. I think that once I become comfortable with the keyboard, I will consider this a great phone. I also think that once RIM gets a couple of fixes out there, they will solve a lot of the speed issues.

If I have offend anyone with my remarks, sorry (well,not very). Operator malfunction is the biggest source of problems with any computer system. You must consider the level of expertise of a user who is reporting a problem. 73
Old 11-29-2008, 03:12 AM   #123
zechariahs
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks for the writeup hudres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudres View Post
Third Party Software: Currently the biggest disappointment, but clearly one that can be easily fixed.
I think we could probably create a thread just for these types of notes, here are my experiences so far:
  • todoMatrix - Seems to work great although the Storm version is beta.
  • Twitterberry - Works, but it's definitely not optimized for the Storm.
  • WorldMate Live - Doesn't work at all.
  • Google Apps (The "complete" one not the ala carte version) - Doesn't seem to exist for the Storm yet. But I could be wrong.

Tumblog: http://www.geekkink.com
Blog: http://www.zechariahs.org/blog
Old 11-29-2008, 05:05 AM   #124
wgimenes
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: Vodafone

RIM, PLEASE LISTEN TO ME!!!

Turn off the screen click if you are on a call and the phone is either not horizantal or vertical!!!

Tired of either switching the speakerphone or mute with my ears!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #125
grey123

Model: storm
Carrier: Verizon

Forgive my ignorance...the Storm (when it arrives after 12/11) will be my first BB phone...but a few post above this one, Hundres said:

The biggest piece of advice I have to offer is if you are upgrading and use BIS, it is absolutely essential that you go to the web page and verify that the PIN and ESN have been changed to the new unit. In my case, in spite of the fact that a Verizon service tech (the one on the phone) told me that all my e-mail accounts were working, they weren't. I checked the Service book listing in Advanced Options. You must do this. If you do not see two listings for each e-mail account, with the account e-mail address spelled out, go to the BIS web page, check the PIN and ESN and then re-send the Service books. Much as I like the salesperson in my local store, she swore to me that these listings were not used in the new model. While I found this hard to believe, I was too polite to tell her otherwise. I will speak to her boss on Monday.

Once you have the PIN and ESN changed, it is also essential that you dial *228, then option 1 and let the phone do its activation thing. This must be done after the pin/esn change.

What is BIS and why would you change your PIN and ESN?

Thanks for any help,

Grey
Old 11-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #126
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: n/a
Lightbulb Bis & Pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey123 View Post
Forgive my ignorance...the Storm (when it arrives after 12/11) will be my first BB phone...but a few post above this one, Hudres said:

What is BIS and why would you change your PIN and ESN?

Thanks for any help,

Grey

Grey: As you are a first time user, let me explain: You have two choices as to how you get your e-mail: BIS (which is a public internet based service provided by Blackberry) and BES (which you use if your company is giving you a BB). If you are in a corporate setting, talk to your administrator.

If you are not using a corporate connection, then you must use BIS. This is a webpage (url is https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw) presuming you are a Verizon customer. You will need to set up your account on this page to have your e-mail routed to the BB. The first thing you will need to do is to provide your phone identification. I suggest that when you pick up your phone, ask the salesperson for the PIN and ESN (hex format). They will know wha this means. If you are getting the phone by mail, go to Options, Status and copy this information EXACTLY from the Status page. Make sure you get the ESN (Hex) which is a long string of numbers

Take this information and insert it into the appropriate spaces. When you have done this successfully, (you will beb notified with a popup), loook on the left side of the page and select "Service Books". On that page click "Send Service Books". Then wait a few minutes. You should get a couple of e-mails from Verizon indicating that your BB has received the service books. Tha's all you have to do.

The comments I had made specifically referred to people who were upgrading an existing service (It says that in the original post).

If this doesn't do it for you, contact Verizon service. If you are not using Verizon, you are on your own. Good luck. 73
Old 12-01-2008, 01:03 AM   #127
lc1412
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT
Default Virtual trackball?

I've owned the Pearl and currently own the Pearl 2 and I know that the trackball is an excellent means of movement. I hear a lot of people say that the Storm would be more efficient if it had a trackball. Since the Storm has a virtual keyboard, possibly RIM could add a virtual trackball on a future software release. I may be way off base with that suggestion. It was just a thought........
Old 12-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #128
outjet

Model: 8703c

Quote:
Originally Posted by outjet View Post
I'm a Blackberry lover going back about 5 years with 4 models.

I've had my 9530 since Tuesday, using it far too much as many of us do, and while I'm finding shortcuts that speed things up, At this point, I'd only recommend the device for those who have plenty of time to wait on the phone, and plenty of patience to deal with its quirks.

The keyboard is only fairly accurate, and I have small fingers. The feature used to auto-fix text while typing is generally useless.

The biggest issues I have experienced are:

* Screen orientation: Quite often, I cannot get the screen to orient in the direction I want for at least 5 seconds, and I have found myself needing to keep giving the phone several exaggerated movements to cue it that I want to reorient.

* Typing generally is slow and painful. Unlocking the device takes a while if you're on a BES that enforces strong passwords -- no zipping your fingers across the keys... it's a delicate game that must be executed slowly and carefully while paying close attention to the screen. On all my previous BBs, I could do it eyes-closed while walking down the airport with a suitcase in one hand and the BB in the other. Those days are over.

* Battery life seems abysmal. I made about 10 minutes of calls yesterday, and used the phone for maybe 1 hour of data stuff, and by 11pm, the radio was off.

* Effort needed to initiate a phone call - this is another pain that others have mentioned. It truly does take a long time, launching the phone app, needing to click to activate the little "lookup" field to initiate the keyboard lookup, or alternatively needing to click the "keypad" icon to bring up the keypad to manually dial, or to use one of the "speed dials." This may be one of the biggest frustrations that will grow over time. Others have suggested voice dialing - I have found the accuracy to be similar to previous voice dialing devices. Also suggested was reassigning the right convenience key to the virtual keyboard -- first, that's not a good answer, and second, if you bring up the virtual keyboard on the home screen, it still won't work for activating speed dials. If the 9530 supported speed dialing from the home screen with the full 10-key and qwerty keyboards, I think I could take this issue off my list.

* Speed of camera is a bit slow. Shutter lag on the camera seems to be several seconds, and there's a shutter click sound that the phone makes to alert you a photo was taken... that click does not correlate to the time the photo was taken. If you want to capture a photo of anything that isi not completely still, my impression is that you'll find yourself unhappy with this camera.

* Selecting text for copy/paste is frustrating and inaccurate. Not much to say on this except you need to experience it for yourself.

* No shortcut to activate speakerphone after using keypad. If you make a call, and activate the keypad to navigate through any menu ("Press 1 for English"), you lose the on-screen shortcut to Speakerphone . RIM made an oversight here, as you can press the Menu button twice to activate Mute, but we already have a permanent Mute button on the top of the phone. It would be far more useful (for me) if the Menu button defaulted to Speakerphone instead of Mute, allowing a quicker way to the Speakerphone option.

Possible device-specific bugs?

These are things I am experiencing -- I HOPE they are only specific to my device, but they may not be:

* Scrolling intermittently does not work at all -- I can start scrolling up or down through a list of 50 messages, but the same 10 items keep scrolling -- the screen will jump when I start the scroll, and I get stuck in a loop of seeing the same messages over and over. I need to exit back to the home screen usually to resolve this. I have captured this on video, and experienced it no less than 8 times in 3 days.

* 9530 suddenly stopped recognizing any clicks completely last night! The 9530 would recognize me hovering over buttons, but would not let me click anything. Couldn't read mail, couldn't place a call, couldn't launch an app, tried taking battery out and resetting, and nothing worked. I couldn't even answer a call. Called VZ, they had no advice except a new device, which I ordered. Woke up 8 hours later, and it had started working again.

* Can't get the iTunes to sync via the app within Blackberry Media Sync; every time I open it, the app crashes.

* The device only sometimes alerts me to new text messages. I am using the standard "Notifier_Eager" ringtone and this morning I have received 5 text messages, and only been notified audibly of 2 of them. While typing this post, I kept picking up my phone to remind me of things to write, and noticed a new text had arrived while the phone was right next to me, and it never rang.

- Other random suggestions

* The volume keys would be very useful for scrolling up and down while not in a call. I think if I didn't have the scrolling issue mentioned above, this point would be moot. It would also be nice if when a menu was presented, you could scroll up and down the menu items instead of having to pick them off the screen... The screen is just not accurate enough for all the menus used in RIM's UI.

* It would be nice to have a hard "Enter" key.

Whew, I'm glad I got all that off my chest. I'm sure there's more; I'll come back and re-edit if I think of it... but in summary, I honestly believe the cons outweigh the pros (for me). In retrospect, I believe I'd be much happier with the Bold, as I'm a multi-tasker and a fast typer that enjoys being able to get things done quickly. On previous BBs, I often found myself blissfully replying to e-mails on my Blackberry, even though I was sitting right next to my computer that had the same message, and a nice full-size keyboard. I don't think that will ever happen again.

I'm anxious to install new software updates as they come out, but I think the updates are going to need to be dramatic if they are going to salvage this device for many who have the need for speed.

I'll admit I only addressed "cons" in this post instead of "pros". There are plenty of good qualities in this device, and if you took the time to read this far, I'm assuming you've read the posts with all the good things about this device also.
Talked to VZ rep today on the phone -- Here are some positive updates on my above issues...

* The device only sometimes alerts me to new text messages. VZ rep searched for 10 minutes and couldn't find this issue noted anywhere. I did read this from another poster on a separate board, so it seems like it's an issue that may be buggy but phone specific...?

* Scrolling intermittently gets looped in the same set of messages -- seems this has gone away since i changed my screen sensitivity.. hopefully this is resolved...

* Can't get the iTunes to sync - Thanks to the VZ rep, I think we figured out this is a problem with my work laptop requiring encryption on connected USB devices.

* Camera launches while using BB messenger, and removing battery is only way to close it - this is a new one I found yesterday. He said this is a known issue.

He suggested I hold out for a new firmware update that is due in "December, maybe around the 15th"

Looking forward to it! I was really close to swapping this phone for a Bold and jumping networks, but I slept on it and woke up thinking more clearly.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #129
dylanleonard1122
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500

Got her today, im too busy right now playing with it but, so far it is amazing and i love every part of it, i think im still on the old update (new to blackberry) and i dont even mind the little bit of lag between switching apps, ill be posting my review soon, or atleast whenever i decide i want to put this phone down, which might not be soo soon
Old 12-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #130
dylanleonard1122
Thumbs Must Hurt

First time Blackberry user, or smart phone user in general here so, as u can tell i am completely blown away by this phone. I'm coming from some crappy flip phone so, if some of the things i'm excited about are second nature to you, sorry.

-This phone looks really nice, sleek, and the weight feels good because it re-assures you that its not some cheap build.

-Touch screen is great, I love the sure press technology and the idea is awesome, the only flaw i found is the fact that the screen wiggles a good bit side to side, but I'm sure it will never effect anything, its just noticeable.

-SO many features that i am not used to. The default movie on here (Babylon A.D.) looks amazing on the screen. Push e-mail is also a really cool idea. The browser is a nice touch, just need to get used to it. I'm not familiar with "visual voice mail" so i can't really comment on that.

-I am have no problems whatsoever with auto-rebooting, or extreme lag issues with the accelerometer or switching between apps. Battery hasn't been pulled yet.

-the speakers on this thing are LOUD! watching the preview to Babylon A.D. made me scared that something was going to blow.

- Virtual keyboard is great. I fell in love with it after my first few texts. RIM definitely made it so that, half of the keyboard is for 1 thumb, and the other half for the other thumb. I also found the keyboard setting stickied at the top of the forum help remarkably well, however i have yet to use the "paper behind the battery" trick, i don't think its necessary as i am typing exactly how i wanted to right now.

This phone is definitely worth the wait for shipping and such, and with new OS updates coming, its only going to keep getting better. I am satisfied with it 110%
Old 12-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #131
jclarke

Default I want to sell my brand new storm if anyone is interested

I have a nib BB storm that has all the stickers on it. I love my curve and have decided to stick with that. I live in Iowa and will consider offers. We would just need to figure out payment etc. I can be reached at
Old 12-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #132
bakerfall
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I've been using a storm for about a day now and I'm going back to my Bold. I can see how this would be great for first time BB users, but if you are at all used to a keyboard, it sucks.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #133
EGILL
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerfall View Post
I've been using a storm for about a day now and I'm going back to my Bold. I can see how this would be great for first time BB users, but if you are at all used to a keyboard, it sucks.

Typical first day response. Took about a week for me to get used to typing on the Storm and there is no way in hell I'd go back to my pearl or curve.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #134
afargoberry

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous1 View Post
What do you mean by 'crazy things'?

And just a few questions;
- How long does it take to switch from horizontal to vertical views?
- Do you make many errors in typing due to the virtual keyboard?
- do you see the 'click touch-screen' as a pro or con?
- What are the pros and cons of the phone in your opinion?

Thankyou!
In my experience...(afargoberry) I've had the Storm since the first day it came out and I think its ok. I had a Palm before this. I liked the Calendar capabilities on my Palm, but I found simple things like calling someone too many steps...so I got this. It's easy to make a quick phone call and has the planning capabilities.

As for your questions above:
It typically only takes a second or two to switch from horizontal to veritical and vice versa. Depends on how many programs you have going on too. Typically pretty quick for me though.
Do I make errors in typing on the virtual keyboard? All the time. It's not the greatest in the world, but at least it give you the option to type sideways where you can't reall mess up with your letters that way. I will tell you, the Storm is definately not for a person with large fingers...you'll get too frustrated bc it won't push what you want it to.
Click screen = PRO!
Pro's: it's quicker than a PDA, it has everything you need including the navigator. It's taken some time to get to know it and get some of the gliches out, but now that I know how to run it, i feel lost without it.
Con's - pushing the wrong button, can't use it with your gloves on - I live in North Dakota so...i like to use my gloves...the screen recognizes the heat on your fingers...and will not respond to the screen at all with gloves on. Wierd, huh. Just like any touch screen there are times when you click it and nothing happens...it pisses me off...but I guess I want the perfect piece of technology and their is no such thing. Service is great on it - and I live in the boondocks. Seriously.
Anyway ... I hope this helps you make your decision. My husband asked me if I wanted to take it back before my 30 days is up, I said no. I think its a good phone.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #135
dylanleonard1122
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by afargoberry View Post
Service is great on it - and I live in the boondocks. Seriously.
haha!, that would make for the best new VZW commercial. i can see it now, the big group of people chillen in the boondocks.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #136
bakerfall
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGILL View Post
Typical first day response. Took about a week for me to get used to typing on the Storm and there is no way in hell I'd go back to my pearl or curve.
Sorry, i've had a LOT of blackberry's and the Storm doesn't cut the mustard. It's laggy, buggy, and not really worth it. The keyboard is the biggest issue, but far from the worst one.

It's better than the curve because of the processor and screen, but the Bold torches it.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #137
jamie_n

Default Undecided

Got mine Nov 27th, after being told it would be in my hands on the 21st. Slightly annoying.

I am new to the BB experience. So here are my 2 cents...

Love the screen.
Not a big fan of SureType, seems to take more time to use that the traditional *tap tap tap* on a flip phone.
I like the full QWERTY keyboard, I've gotten quite fast on it. The cursor is the bane of my existence, its quicker to delete the entire sentence and retype it that to move the cursor in the right spot, perhaps I just do not have 'the touch'.
Email, BB messenger, etc are all quick and easy.
Browser is very nice, although I do not have much to compare to.
Phone... not friendly to use, I use conference lines a lot and conference #'s, etc can be tedious when trying to get the keyboard to display.

Today was the first day I synced up with the Enterprise system at work. Previous to this I was using standard texting and yahoo email. Today my battery pooped out at 5pm. This is not acceptable. I travel a lot and it is important that the battery last from when I leave my hotel to when I get back to that night to charge it.

I am giving it another day ... I am going to go play with a Curve and then make a decision.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:05 AM   #138
BearsFan78

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous1 View Post
What do you mean by 'crazy things'?

And just a few questions;
- How long does it take to switch from horizontal to vertical views? It depends...anywhere from right away to a few seconds (like 5). A software upgrade is due out very soon, i'm hoping this week, but someone on Crackberry.com has leaked the new upgrade and also did a video of how quickly the accelerator responds w/ the new upgrade. Seems like it is going to be much quicker w/ the new software upgrade.
- Do you make many errors in typing due to the virtual keyboard? I hardly make any errors, especially compared to the iPhone in which I would get very frustrated and wanted to throw it across the room. I love the full QWERTY keyboard, still trying to get accustomed to SureType - in some features it's nice and quicker if I just need to type one or two words.
- do you see the 'click touch-screen' as a pro or con? I am a huge fan of the "click touch-screen" Again, I prefer this over the iPhone b/c there were too many times I would "touch" an icon and it would open an app I didn't want. I like the feel of a button and response I get. This is certainly a preference feature that I know some folks don't like.
- What are the pros and cons of the phone in your opinion? Well, pros are a lot:
* Speakerphone quality is outstanding and in general the speaker is very loud and clear.
* Bright screen.
* Fully QWERTY keyboard available with practically EVERY application (I have yet to run into an app that doesn't acknowledge full QWERTY layout, but I have heard some 3rd party apps wont.
* Nice big and bright buttons for dialing
* 3.2 MP camera w/ auto focus and stability. For a camera phone I am very satisfied w/ the quality. (downside is time to take the pic - about 5sec)
* Video capability
* Push e-mail
* Call quality is amazing! Great service coverage, haven't had a dropped call yet.
* I'm very satisfied with the browser speed, once and awhile it's a little slow.
* iTunes sync capable (only w/ non protected songs on iTunes, which I think is crap considering I payed for the song I should be able to play it on ANY medium!)
* XM Radio available (need to pay for the extra service)
* Current available apps work great with the phone and the ones currently available are the most important to me (Google Sync, Google Talk, Facebook, Flikr, new sites)

Cons
* Sluggish (again the software upgrade should fix this)
* Time to take a photo is a little long
* Lack of available apps and themes for the Storm

Neutral
* Battery life - not sure if this is a pro or con considering I've never spent so much time on my phone before. I spend more time on e-mail, txt, playing games, chatting and Facebook and about 15min a day actually talking on the phone and the battery is on it's last bar by the time I'm getting ready for bed. So, from the time I unplug it from the charger (about 6am) to the time I put it back on the charger (between 11-12 at night) I think I get a decent battery life from the days activities.

Thankyou!
Overall, I am VERY happy with this phone and am glad I made the purchase. I'm new to BB so this being my first BB I am liking it a lot and I think am hooked to BB. Huge fan of the touch screen, push e-mail, call quality and coverage.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #139
bakerfall
Thumbs Must Hurt

Notice that most of the people who really like it are new to BB. I would bet they would be more happy a Bold and probably with a Curve
Old 12-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #140
BearsFan78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerfall View Post
Notice that most of the people who really like it are new to BB. I would bet they would be more happy a Bold and probably with a Curve
Well, I am NOT one of those people that you assume would be more happy with a Bold or Curve. I tried both and not a fan of actual keys. The Bold was also too big and clunky. The weight distribution of the Bold was annoying as it was way heavier on the bottom than the top. I'm not a fan of the track ball either. The Curve was too wide for me as well. Again, I'm not a fan of the physical keyboard.

I text a lot and quickly acclimated to the Storm. I was able to type much faster on it than the Bold or Curve when trying them in the Store. Also, I am NOT fan of AT&T as their coverage is weak and I was constantly dropping calls with them.

So, please do not make the assumption that us first time BB users would prefer a different BB over the Storm. A lot of what the Storm offers comes down to user preferences. I'm a huge fan of the Storm and like it more and more each day.
Closed Thread