Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
pmagroup

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Generic UK
Default Generic Software for Bold 9000?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, i have tried very hard to find Generic UK Software for my Bold. I DO NOT want any software that contains network settings like Orange UK or the like. Please can somebody point me in the right direction? i need a link / instructions. I got my phone from Carphone Warehouse so it is open to all networks and i want to keep it like this if possible.

Thank you for reading my post, i hope you can help me

pmagroup
Old 11-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

There is no "generic" software for Blackberrys. They're all released by the carriers, not RIM. But plenty of them do not have network settings included. I got no settings when I installed OS 4.6.0.185 on my Bold.

Even if there is some branding in the software, it will be minimal and won't affect your ability to use your Bold on any GSM network you want. Once unlocked, a Blackberry stays unlocked. In fact, I don't think you could re-lock it even if you wanted to! While yours may have come from Carphone Warehouse unlocked, it had to start out life branded to a carrier. When you start it up after a battery pull you will see a splash screen. That's who's Bold it was originally. Generally speaking, besides the two-second splash screen at startup, all the branding you get will be in the form of service books pushed to you when you register with a particular carrier. But that's all chaff anyway and can be hidden and ignored.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
pmagroup

Hi, firstly thank you for your reply but unfortunately you are wrong. Please see this link as proof. blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22 ( i've had to remove the 1st bit of the link due to not posting 10 times yet, sorry ), if you select a product and look lower down the menu there are other models that are generic. If you buy a Bold from RIM direct it will have no carrier. Also during power up there is no carrier wake up or shutdown logo.

Kind Regards,
pmagroup
Old 11-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

That is built into the device. It is not part of the software. You cannot remove the branding.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
pmagroup

During Startup on my Bold i get a small black clock icon, it is on the screen for approx 1 minute. Then my phone starts up directly onto the desktop.

Kind Regards,
pmagroup
Old 11-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Where is the question?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
pmagroup

In my original post that nobody has answered yet?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Oh, OK.

There is no generic software out for the Bold.

All of the "network stuff" is pushed down by the carrier and is not on the handheld software itself - it is pushed down via service books.

Using "AT&T" released software will not add a splash screen or logos.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
JV77
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Various

The Carphone Warehouse sell unbranded phones rather than carrier specific. I assume they get them directly from the manufacturers - this is why I always used to shop there when I got a new phone.

As for the small black clock - thats just the 'waiting' icon - like an hourglass on Windows or the swirly 'thing' on a Mac.

When you install the updates linked to from this site you delete the carrier file before installation and then they are generic (as far as I can see).

There are instructions on what to do within the posts that have the links to the latest software.

Thanks,

James
Old 11-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
pmagroup

Thank you both for helpful and "back up" type replies. I knew me request would not be taken easily. My unit is Generic, i know it came from RIM direct into Carphonewarehouse as i'm part of that process to be honest. So, does anyone know how i can flash / upgrade my unit? If anyone has a link to generic software that would be great. I have used the apploader on other products but it won't work on the Bold.

Kind Regards,
pmagroup
Old 11-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

You seem to feel that people are "holding out" on you and not taking this request seriously. That is the wrong attitude and totally incorrect.

Good luck in your search for something that doesn't exist.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #12
pmagroup

OK NJBlackberry, thank you anyway. I guess i'm just pessimistic. "If" i find anything i will post here.

Thank you again,
pmagroup
Old 11-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
dbltap
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

What is it that you do not want on your Bold? The OS builds that are out there only have themes for various vendors. But they also have themes for multiple vendors. Even the beta software that has been out on the internet that was not for any particular carrier had those same themes. There are a number of FAQ answers out there to allow someone to put which ever carrier themes they might want on their Bold. At the same time, none of them can be loaded if that is what you want to do.

As has been stated, you have a generic firmware build on your phone. Great. Firmware can not be changed on any BB to remove or add and different carrier firmware. As an example, I have a Rogers phone that I unlocked to use on AT&T. IT will always say Rogers on start up. I can live with that. But nothing else on my phone ever says Rogers again.

On the other hand, AT&T has pushed down several service books which loaded their own junk on my phone. I can't stop that from happening as long as I am using the AT&T network. Note that I have never loaded ANY AT&T build of the Bold OS on my phone. I have always loaded the latest version available from what ever carrier has the most current. And I never see anything specific to that carrier. I have loaded an image from Orange France on my BlackBerry. But it installed as generic in English. Nothing installed anywhere inside the phone indicates the build was from Orange France.

This is what everyone has been trying to help you understand. You can use any build from any carrier on your Bold. Nothing from that build will show up from the carrier name on your phone. However, you can not stop the carrier you use your Bold with from sending down service books with carrier specific links and services.

What I do is create a new folder called "AT&T Crap". And I put all those service book icons into that folder. Then I hide the AT&T Crap folder never to be seen again.

That's just the way it is.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #14
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I've never heard of a Blackberry, besides a pre-production unit, going from RIM directly to point-of-sale without a carrier getting in there somewhere. Even Horizon Wireless sells unlocked Blackberry Bolds, but they're unlocked Rogers devices. A truly unbranded Blackberry would be an extreme rarity, one I'd love to see!
Old 11-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #15
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

]I've never heard of a Blackberry, besides a pre-production unit, going from RIM directly to point-of-sale without a carrier getting in there somewhere. Even Horizon Wireless sells unlocked Blackberry Bolds, but they're unlocked Rogers devices. A truly unbranded Blackberry would be an extreme rarity, one I'd love to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmagroup View Post
Hi, firstly thank you for your reply but unfortunately you are wrong. Please see this link as proof. blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22 ( i've had to remove the 1st bit of the link due to not posting 10 times yet, sorry ), if you select a product and look lower down the menu there are other models that are generic. If you buy a Bold from RIM direct it will have no carrier. Also during power up there is no carrier wake up or shutdown logo.

Kind Regards,
pmagroup
That link is bad. I added the www and got "page removed..."
We mere mortals cannot buy directly from RIM. I have yet to see any generic firmware for the Blackberry handheld.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #16
chetzy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: o2 - uk

cpw = carphonewarehouse
sell unbranded handsets they are unlocked and therefor unbranded as others have mentioned the only thing that will contain network info is the service books that are pushed.

You can load any OS thats found and it wont effect the unbranded handset one bit.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:04 PM   #17
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

The OP is looking for a special unbranded OS that he feels is out there somewhere.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #18
shawntdot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

I think he is crazy. :-p
Old 11-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #19
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmagroup View Post
Thank you both for helpful and "back up" type replies. I knew me request would not be taken easily. My unit is Generic, i know it came from RIM direct into Carphonewarehouse as i'm part of that process to be honest. So, does anyone know how i can flash / upgrade my unit? If anyone has a link to generic software that would be great. I have used the apploader on other products but it won't work on the Bold.

Kind Regards,
pmagroup
You have been helped. ANY OS for the Bold will work on ANY Bold regardless of carrier. Once you delete the vendor.xml file ALL carrier specific software is GONE. Just find the newest version number you can find, regardless of carrier, install to your PC and then delete the vendor.xml file. Then use Loader.exe (located in the same folder as the vendor.xml) to load the OS to your Bold. Again, the carrier info is NOT in the OS. It's in the provisioning on your sim card. Give it a shot, you'll see.

There is NO difference between a "generic" OS and a carrier released OS other than the vendor.xml. RIM does put out OS's occassionally that didn't get released by a carrier but they're no different than the ones that the carriers release.

You've been helped by people who have been doing this for years. Please give it a try and report back.

Again, any OS will work perfectly, and no different than any other OS.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:14 AM   #20
pmagroup

Hi, Yes i have been well and truly helped
When i have needed to upgrade previous "generic" bb's i have found the apploader useful as it reads the unit then finds the sw itself via the internet. Why i was sooo confused is this will not happen with the bold. I have however taken advice from above and found that i can flash in Orange UK for example but still have the standard looking bold without all of the Orange customization that i didn't want. To do this i did not need to remove vendor.xml surprisingly. I have been searching around the unit but cannot find any orange "rubbish" inside

So thank you one and all for your info. I am again a happy bold owner and will be able to sleep again. ( although my pessimistic side will always remain ).

Kind Regards,
pmagroup
Closed Thread