BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
sinistersurge
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: TMO
Default Water under the screen on Bold when applying BSE skin?

Please Login to Remove!

My good friend got a Bold the day it was released on AT&T. We are both firm believers in Best Skins Ever skins, so he ordered some for the Bold. He and I have both applied these skins to many devices and always had excellent results. When he went to apply the screen protector to his Bold he did it as he normally would - just the right amount of water/baby shampoo mix and not soaked with water, but enough to do the job. When he put it on he immediately noticed that the screen got water in it [under the clear plastic lens, which distorted and screwed up the LCD].

My question is, has anyone else had this problem? I want to put a BSE on my Bold but I am worried that perhaps this device is more susceptible to water penetration than other Blackberries. Again, I have put skins on a variety of iPhones, Blackberries, and Apple laptops - never with a problem [and so has my friend].

Just a little worried here [my friend had to buy a new Bold].
Old 11-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
JW021979
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2 UK

Water on any phone is not advisable. Normally using a dry lint free cloth is enough to clean the screen in my experience.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
sinistersurge
Thumbs Must Hurt

I think you missed the point - he wasn't trying to clean the screen. He was using a water/soap combo to apply the skin, which is how you are supposed to do it [it is the described method and the only way to get great results].

Anyone else?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Pardon my sarcasm (habit). So your friend has to buy a new Bold (water damage) after he used a product that's wet on application (I'm familiar with BSE and not a fan but whatever) and you're actually considering doing the same thing to yours? If he jumped off a cliff and went splat would you jump too and hope not to splat? (btw how'd it look when he got done?lol)

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 11-12-2008 at 02:48 PM..
Old 11-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
EricScott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

I had no problems putting BSE on my Bold. However it was my first time using their product and I was definitely pretty nervous about it.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

My beef with BSE is that their screen protection can be done way better with a hard plastic unit ($4 for two shipped ebay). Aside from that all it covers is the back battery cover for the most part, the sides a little bit, none of the front really. It's a lot to pay and a lot of hassle for what most people want-a good screen protector (which isn't very good and can peel off). Just my .02
Old 11-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
weath
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Default Bse

At the risk of getting flamed, I think you have confused BSE skins with some other products. BSE skins for most phones only cost $8 for a full body skin, which covers the sides, front, to include the screen, and back. In other words, complete coverage. If you call that expensive, well, it's your money. My Bold has full side coverage, full front protection (screen, chrome bezel, buttons, and bottom piece with carrier name). The only thing NOT covered is the keyboard and the back battery cover, since it's pleather. The chrome piece on the back IS covered.

BSE protection is quite good, and I have never had them "peel off" unless I deliberately removed them.

I have used BSE products on three different BB (now a Bold), several iPhones and iPod Touches and two laptop computers without any problems. Yes, using water to apply them is a bit nerve wracking on electronic devices, but if you follow the instructions, it goes fine. In this case more (water) IS NOT better.

Why use a skin instead of your $2 hard case? I don't want the extra bulk. My choice. If you don't agree, no issues. Freedom to choose is a good thing.

Disclaimer: I DO NOT work for BSE, I just use them. A lot.

Edmund Burke 1729-1797
Old 11-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
sinistersurge
Thumbs Must Hurt

Agreed.

But nobody seems to be discussing the point of this post - is the Bold more susceptible to water than other Blackberry models???
Old 11-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
weath
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't believe so, but my experience is is limited to the one Bold I have, and my application of BSE with no issues.

Steve

Edmund Burke 1729-1797
Old 11-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
jnelson2000

Considering the Bold does NOT use a protective cover like previous BlackBerries, it would be more susceptible to water damage.

Just be a bit more conservative with water and wipe off all the excess after applying and you should be fine.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post
Considering the Bold does NOT use a protective cover like previous BlackBerries, it would be more susceptible to water damage.

Just be a bit more conservative with water and wipe off all the excess after applying and you should be fine.
Agreed. This is the first time that they have integrated the lens with the LCD. I am assuming to correct the dust issue and perhaps for viewability. It may react differently to a water application that previous units. I would be very careful and wait for other members results that do attempt it.

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 11-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #12
RydeWitM3
Thumbs Must Hurt

I had this same experience with a Brand new Bold and a ZAGG Invisible Shield Screen Protector. The Bold first turned on with visible liquid on the screen and then i took the battery out to let it dry and after about 15min i put the battery back in and it would no longer turn on. About 6 hours later it came back on but the screen was all screwed up. I got a replacement from ATT, but one thing i have noticed is that the bold has a very sensitive screen. just from wiping it with a cloth you can see that there is being pressure placed on the screen even if you are wiping lightly.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
BlitzSix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

I had no problems with mine...
Old 11-12-2008, 11:26 PM   #14
tymiller
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I ordered a ZAGG shield for mine. Should I not put it on? o_o
Old 11-13-2008, 01:38 AM   #15
besadmin23

I had no problems with BSE on my new Bold. Not too impressed where the skin wraps over the metal bezel to the sides and top of the screen but after a while it did stick down pretty good. No water damage luckily but I was real worried based on the instructions.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:18 AM   #16
JBDowd

Model: E61
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T/Vodafone

I installed the Zagg skin on mine as well as two of my friends bolds without any significant problems. I had a few corners that didn't get a perfect adhesion. In terms of water damage nothing. I always apply the lubricant to the skins not the device.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:40 AM   #17
cookie

Model: 9900
Carrier: Three Ireland

I used BSE screen skin on my Bold and had no problems. I've used BSE on 5 blackberry models and never an problems. Maybe you used too much water? Sorry to hear it though.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:45 AM   #18
geolab

Model: Z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange

bought zagg before the phone.
Installed zagg inv shield by spraying on the shield the solution, not on screen.
the inv shield has orange skin aspect and I hate it.
on iphone, I have artwizz and it is made with clear straight hard plastic, the
artwiz IS invisible. what can I do? I need a hard plastic one for the bold
Old 11-13-2008, 07:40 AM   #19
atuarre

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Not ever using this kind of product again. I have always had good results putting it on, but the screen is never clear, both using BSE and Zagg. They collect residue at the edges of the protector, and if you cant get the bubbles out correctly in time, your screwed.

There has to be something better. I put it on my bold, but couldn't remove the bubbles so I ripped it off. It's really going to be bad for those Storm users as the screen actually sinks in when you push it.

I don't need a protector made of some fancy material off of helicopter blades to protect my screen. If a regular screen protector won't protect it, and depending on the impact, the screen is going to get damaged any way, it is not as if the stuff stops a hammer or something.

My iPhone screen is not clear because of this material and the bubbles and residue left over after it's applied, so ill find an alternative for my Bold, and should I get the storm, i'll get an alternative for it also.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:44 AM   #20
SmoothRunnings

PIN: 21B694E3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistersurge View Post
I think you missed the point - he wasn't trying to clean the screen. He was using a water/soap combo to apply the skin, which is how you are supposed to do it [it is the described method and the only way to get great results].

Anyone else?
Have your friend take a hair dry to the phone and dry it out, if the phone doesn't work properly after that he has to realize that he's hosed his phone and will have to spend another $600 or so to get a new one. It's quite clear your friend doesn't realize that water and blackberries don't mix, lets hope this is a good lession for him.

A.
Closed Thread