Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
raja_3012
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhn4
Carrier: AT&T
Default Data Plan or Unlimited email??

Please Login to Remove!

Need a piece of advice from compadres...

I have the BlackBerry Unlimited Add-on (Data plan) which costs me $20 p.m. I was thinking whether or not I really require it.. and thatz why I wanted some suggestions based on my usage pattern.

1) I am an IT guy so always have internet during office hours. During that time the only thing I require my Berry is for personal emails on my BlackBerry email address (...@tmo.blackberry.net) and phone calls.

2) Once I am back home, I have Wifi so I can wirelessly connect to the internet. I rarely do Yahoo messenger using my BlackBerry and even rarer is BB messenger.

3) I have GPS in my car so do not require Google maps for GPS purposes although I sometimes use it to find local attractions near my current location. So will Google maps stop working after i discontinue my data plan??

If you can think of any more cons I will have if I discontinue my data plan and continue with just unlimited data plan, pls suggest.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

If its not a large difference to get an unlimited data plan, I would get it.
It is my belief that if you have a device, you should have all the reasonable needs. That's my opinion.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
raja_3012

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

If its not a large difference to get an unlimited data plan, I would get it.
It is my belief that if you have a device, you should have all the reasonable needs. That's my opinion.
The difference is of $10 though but I am on a family plan of $70.. add to it the blackberry plan just for me... my monthly cell phone easily crosses $100 every month.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
raja_3012

The only thing which I wanted to know is if I shift from unlimited data plan to just unlimited email plan, will I still be be able to retain my @xxx.blackberry.net email address?
Old 11-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
jfkeith
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja_3012 View Post
The only thing which I wanted to know is if I shift from unlimited data plan to just unlimited email plan, will I still be be able to retain my @xxx.blackberry.net email address?
Yes with the email plan comes a blackberry email address. The email will still work the same, it's just the browser that won't. And like you said you have wifi at home and I also do so I'm always using that. I'd say go with the email, it's only $10 but with the problems today I'd say take as much as you can.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
raja_3012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkeith View Post
Yes with the email plan comes a blackberry email address. The email will still work the same, it's just the browser that won't. And like you said you have wifi at home and I also do so I'm always using that. I'd say go with the email, it's only $10 but with the problems today I'd say take as much as you can.
This is real helpful reply.. with problems today I was thinking of saving costs wherever I could.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
raja_3012

Another thing is that.. if I start facing issues I can always fall back to the original data plan but if I see I am still good with just the email plan.. it will be a win win situation.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
jfkeith
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Quote:
Another thing is that.. if I start facing issues I can always fall back to the original data plan but if I see I am still good with just the email plan.. it will be a win win situation.
Exactly, just call TMO and change your plan, and if you don't like it you can always call back and have it reverted back...the nice thing about pro rating.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:

1) I am an IT guy so always have internet during office hours. During that time the only thing I require my Berry is for personal emails on my BlackBerry email address (...@tmo.blackberry.net) and phone calls.
Just a point. It isn't a real good idea to use the TMO BB email account for a couple very good reasons. First, if it ever gets out in the open, you will get more SPAM than you ever wanted. It is a totally unfiltered account. Second, the only way to read mail to that account is on the BB. No web mail option so if there is a BB outage, or a carrier outage, you are out of luck til they come back up and hope nothing was lost in the process. Finally, you cannot take that address with you if and when you change carriers.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
dwsdw

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-MO

Question...Is TMO raising the price of the data plan??? If so and you cancel it now and decide to go back later will there be a new data plan rate in effect? Not sure...just something to think about.
Closed Thread