atariman2002

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: DONT KNOW YET
Default NEW bold tomorrow and need pre purchase advice

Please Login to Remove!

NEW bold tomorrow and need pre purchase advice

Hi Everyone,

just new here and need some help please.

I am purchasing a Blackberry Bold 9000 tomorrow and need a couple of things cleared up.

1 - Can I disable the data component of the phone as I will for now only be voice calling and smsing my wife?

2 - I use a pop email account my isp gave me. I seem to be confused that to check my pop email account i have had for many years i have to synch with some Blackberry service? What i need to know is that can i just setup my existing pop email account on the BB by putting in the account username/password and incoming and outgoing mail settings eg: pop/smtp or is the ONLY way I can check my emails by going through this BB service.

The reason i ask is that i have access to many wifi access points in our city and if i drove past one i could pull over and check my pop email account without having to go home and check on pc or psy big $$$ and use the phone data system. Same as checking email on your laptop.......by having account settings in it.

Thanks

forgive the confusing questions

AT

Last edited by atariman2002; 10-21-2008 at 10:05 AM..
Old 10-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
PETEYWESTRAW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AY TEE AND TEE

To receive email on you device you will need a data package to avoid paying by kilobyte, which could become expensive.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
atariman2002

Carrier: DONT KNOW YET

yes i understand that......once i decide to get a data pack i shall start checking my email on my BB. but what i need to know is can i setup my BB with my POP email account as if it was a laptop or pda etc or do i have pay for the Blackberry Email Service.

At the moment on my ipaq hx4700 i simply added my username and password along with my incoming and outgoing mail server address. Now when i am near a WIFI access point i simply can check my pop email account like any normal pc. I am confused as to the users who seem to be talking about a 3rd party BB service that in my opinion seems to be required in order for me to access any emails?

cheers
Old 10-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
Emboldened
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: o2

The main services used are BES (for work places usually) and BIS (mostly personal web mail). These use data charges as they will be sending emails straight to your phone as it arrives in the mailbox.

If using webmail, you could probably go to the website and login as per usual, but you may have to type in all details each time.

It may be worth asking in the shop/phone company if they know how to do that until you get a data service.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Wirelessly posted (8300)

I think what he means. In order to have mail sent to the device you must sign up for at least BIS data plan. To get 2 way sync you must 1) have a bes provide (work or 3rd party) and sign up for a BES data plan.

BES is more $$ than BIS.

Does that make sense?
Old 10-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

What he's asking is: can I just use WiFi (like a laptop) to get to the email web address without paying for a BIS Blackberry plan? He knows there's no push email without a data plan. And can I just use a voice plan to SMS txt my wife without a data plan, pay by the txt? The answer is I don't think you can use WiFi without paying for a BB plan. I'm not sure about SMS txt, I think you can use that feature without a data plan (but not MMS pix messaging), at least with Tmobile. I don't know about ATT.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
328iGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 21569E16
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

My question is if $$ is that much of an issue for a data plan, which are relatively cheap now a days, why not just stick with a standard cell phone?
Old 10-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
Emboldened
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: o2

No problems connecting to wifi on my one... so in theory you could, I just think you'll need to login via opera or something to access your webmail. I doubt you can set it up so your email comes onto the phone, but I'm no expert - ask the phone seller!
Closed Thread