BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 02:53 AM   #1
neenach2002

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Talking Thinking about getting a BlackBerry!

Please Login to Remove!

Okay...so I'm not really thinking about getting a BlackBerry...I'm thinking about which one to get!

I am currently looking at the BlackBerry Pearl 82xx and the BlackBerry Javelin...

Anyways, I've read some various tutorials and 'tips and tricks' pages...but I was curious to know if you guys have any advice for me? Anything I should know before I buy?

I had a Samsung BlackJack, but I really didn't like the tiny keyboard and the horrible 'd-pad' so I got an AT&T 8525...I am okay with my current phone, but the battery life is pretty crappy and unfortunately it won't sync with my car...So, thoughts anyone?

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention this, but I run OS X.

Last edited by neenach2002; 10-13-2008 at 02:56 AM..
Old 10-13-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

For starters, the two phones you mentioned have different keyboards. That is the first decision you need to make.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
neenach2002

I know, but I don't think I'll be able to truly make a decision until I've held both devices. ;) I was more curious about anything else I need to know.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #4
Reparkable
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: a rose on your nose
Carrier: Telus Mobility

Well you may have to wait to decide because the Javelin 8900 won't be released for a few more months I think. Its basically the new Curve. So do you want a flip phone (8220) or a phone like the Curve?
Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenach2002 View Post
I am currently looking at the BlackBerry Pearl 82xx and the BlackBerry Javelin...Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention this, but I run OS X.
These are two dramatically different phones. It depends on what your usage is going to be like. If you are getting a BlackBerry for your email then you will probably like a BB with a full qwerty keyboard like the Javelin, or the present Curve. It's so much easier to type emails with a full size model. The 82xx is a great phone but more consumer oriented and the small keys are going to bother you if you didn't like the keys on the Blackjack. You can save a fair amount of money buy getting Curve now, a proven device. The Javelin will not be out for at least a month or more. It will be at least $100 more than the Curve for features you may or may not use. I have all current and some past BB models and I'm using a Curve 8310 from AT&T. I paid $200 for mine and they are currently on sale for only $79.99, that's a great price for the most popular BB model out today.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
neenach2002

Hmm...it doesn't look like the 82xx has small keys to me...they are nearly twice the size of the 81xx series phones...so why would the keys on that phone bother me? It seems to me the 83xx series phones (Curve) has keys closer to the BlackJack...
Old 10-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
archer6

Quote:
Hmm...it doesn't look like the 82xx has small keys to me..
Thanks for correcting me, as you are correct I have both the 81xx series and 83xx series (and a Blackjack). I must have been going too fast in writing that response as now that you point it out, I did error in my statement. Thanks for catching my mistake....
Old 10-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
neenach2002

Yeah no problem...I got a bit confused at first...:P

Sorry your head wasn't screwed on right..hehe j/k...but I'm guessing that the Pearl 82xx would be my best bet for key size...those keys look huge!...I really didn't like the keys on the 88xx series much...so I don't think I would really like the keys on the Bold..
Old 10-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
archer6

Quote:
I'm guessing that the Pearl 82xx would be my best bet for key size...those keys look huge!...I really didn't like the keys on the 88xx series much...so I don't think I would really like the keys on the Bold..
I went to my local T-Mobile store today to look at he 8220, and I'm really impressed. The key size is perfect, as is the tactile feedback of each key press. Very responsive, and a very nice shape which lends a certain feeling of security that you are hitting the intended key. The key travel is such that without looking you know that you've registered the key stroke and it's very assuring. That in concert with a nice display, a very good hinge mechanism and other features has convinced me to return tomorrow to purchase one. Sales were brisk, as I saw several being purchased in the 45 minutes I was in the store.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
I am currently looking at the BlackBerry Pearl 82xx and the BlackBerry Javelin...

Anyways, I've read some various tutorials and 'tips and tricks' pages...but I was curious to know if you guys have any advice for me? Anything I should know before I buy?
Not really. BB model selection mostly comes down to subjective preferences. Be sure to try out the keyboards in person as keyboards tend to be a deciding factor for people.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #11
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Not really. BB model selection mostly comes down to subjective preferences. Be sure to try out the keyboards in person as keyboards tend to be a deciding factor for people.
I could not agree more.
In addition I might suggest that you inquire about the return / exchange policies of your carrier. It's nearly impossible in my opinion to determine which is best for you based on a short test in the store. Not until you take it home and begin to live with it, do you find out what it's really like for you. By getting a clear picture of your return options, you could then try one, and if it does not work for you, return it for the other.

That said, I'm a big advocate for both Sure-Type & the full size Qwerty keyboards. Most people usually have very strong feelings for one or the other. For me I have both, continue to use both, find Sure-Type every bit as fast as Qwerty, just different. I would offer this: If you do a lot of email, texting etc you may prefer the full Qwerty. In addition the Qwerty keyboards have shortcuts assigned to certain keys that are terrific time savers. For example from the home screen I simply press the "b" key and the browser is launched. If I press the "m" key the email and text messages appear. The "d" key and the memo pad is launched, etc. The more one uses this the more they save time and realize the advantages. Sure-Type does not offer this.

However on the other hand what Sure-Type does offer is a compact keyboard that functions very well and is quite easy to use once you spend a short time learning it. It's small size then in turn allows RIM to build a full featured BlackBerry in a compact size. Personally I'm headed to the T-Mobile store today to purchase an 8220 as I find it a fantastic model. And yet that said I will also be purchasing a Javelin / Curve 8900. I handle 60 emails or more each day, therefore my "work" day to day BlackBerry is currently a Curve. I use an 8110 Pearl in the evenings / weekends, when I'm out and want to carry a smaller BB. This is why I'm really excited about the 8220 as I like the flip form factor, have already seen and tried one and find the keyboard the very best of the Sure-Type keyboards. Keys are large, well spaced, great tactile feedback and the balance of the phone is perfect.

Hope this helps...
Cheers
Old 10-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #12
Teksu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: PM me
Carrier: Verizon

+1 for trying it out yourself at a store.

PS
+1 for suretype devices

-1 for flip phone
Closed Thread