Old 09-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Grazey

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t mobile
Default 9000 Bold Help!!

Please Login to Remove!

HI

I am new to all this. I have just bought a Blackberry Bold, unblocked. I am on T Mobile. I cant get anyone to help me as I got an unblocked phone!

I want to set up my e-mails and am using the e-mail setup wizard. However, according to the manuals it ought to give me two options - 'create of add e-mail' & 'I want to use work e-mail account with a Blackberry Enterprise Server'. I only get one option - the Blackberry Server option, which I cant get to work. Have I dont something wrong??

I have never had a Blackberry before and have no idea what I am getting myself into. Hopefully, it will send my e-mails (currently sent to a pop account) to my Blackberry and then sync them to my laptop when this is switched on. I am guessing to do this I need to have the option of creating an e-mail account - the option its not giving me.

Any help out there??

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Grazey

oh and what is a Blackberry Enterprise Server!
Old 09-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
celeb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

<-- sits back watching the sharks circle, waiting for the first bite

;)
Old 09-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Grazey

? sounds ominous.............what did I do?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

BES - Blackberry Enterprise Server - corporate configuration/setup for corporate email.

As for getting your email set up...

Do you have an active account with a provider (T-Mo)? Have you registered your BB with T-Mo (OPTIONS / ADVANCED OPTIONS / HOST ROUTING TABLE / <menu> / REGISTER NOW)?

Do you have a Blackberry data plan? (Not a PDA plan or other data plan but a BLACKBERRY specific data plan)? If not, fahgettabouddit. You need a BB data plan to use email and/or any Blackberry data services.

Once that is all taken care of, T-Mo should push several icons out to your phone - one of which will be your email setup icon. Use that to configure your email - you have to establish an account, and enter email addresses, passwords, servers, etc to get it configured.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Yeah, nothing is going to happen until you get a bona fide Blackberry data plan. At T-Mobile it's a $20/month add on to a regular minutes plan and with T-Mo it's unlimited monthly data. No maximum usage. It's the BIS plan. Text messages are not included, however.

Data plans fall into 2 categories:
BES - Enterprise Activation - a corporate connection. You're part of the network run by your company, you get your corporate mail, and you live by the corporate rules of the IT department. They decide what you can and cannot do with your BB, like external email accounts, using the web browser, installing programs yourself, etc. You would know if this was your connection because your IT department at work would set it all up for you.

BIS - Blackberry Internet Service. That's what personal users (like myself) do for data. You lose some of the features available on BES, like wireless contacts and calendar sync, and email sync with your Outlook email. But you gain the freedom to install what you want, set up whatever email accounts you want, etc. This is the one that T-Mobile charges $20/month for and is one of the best deals in data plans anywhere.

Last edited by rambo47; 09-05-2008 at 06:17 PM..
Old 09-05-2008, 10:50 PM   #7
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Yeah, nothing is going to happen until you get a bona fide Blackberry data plan. At T-Mobile it's a $20/month add on to a regular minutes plan and with T-Mo it's unlimited monthly data. No maximum usage. It's the BIS plan. Text messages are not included, however.

Data plans fall into 2 categories:
BES - Enterprise Activation - a corporate connection. You're part of the network run by your company, you get your corporate mail, and you live by the corporate rules of the IT department. They decide what you can and cannot do with your BB, like external email accounts, using the web browser, installing programs yourself, etc. You would know if this was your connection because your IT department at work would set it all up for you.

BIS - Blackberry Internet Service. That's what personal users (like myself) do for data. You lose some of the features available on BES, like wireless contacts and calendar sync, and email sync with your Outlook email. But you gain the freedom to install what you want, set up whatever email accounts you want, etc. This is the one that T-Mobile charges $20/month for and is one of the best deals in data plans anywhere.
No kidding. AT&T charges $30 for the same thing - still no MMS/SMS included. BTW, BES at AT&T is $45/mo. With BES you get more, pay more and have less control because, like Rambo says, your IT department gets to call the shots.
Closed Thread