BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
Gaprofitt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Blackberry only receives new messages.. Help..

Please Login to Remove!

HI All,

We have a user we will call employee A, when I set her up on
any Blackberry she only receives new mail. She is setup like everyone
else on our BES server, I am at a loss. I can setup myself up on the same device or any device and it works fine and I get all the mail.. Any ideas?

Greg
Old 12-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Pardon my ignorance, is there a setting which enables all mail to come as opposed to new mail only?

I would think she would receive all mail beginning from the point she was placed on the server and not receive any items noted from before.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Gaprofitt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Pardon my ignorance, is there a setting which enables all mail to come as opposed to new mail only?

I would think she would receive all mail beginning from the point she was placed on the server and not receive any items noted from before.

I am not aware of that setting, if so I wiped the device, is this a setting on the BES server that can be set for a particular user? I doubt it as I do this all the time the same way and never have an issue.

Greg
Old 12-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

A new user on the BES will get some of their old mail during the initial activation, it's called Message Pre-population and it's enabled by default. The rule is defaulted to the last 5 days worth or 250 messages, whatever comes first. It can be increased depending on the version of the BES.

This rule will only work if Employee A's mail is in her inbox, if it's moved to other folders then she will only get new mail.

What version of BES are you running and for what platform? I would think it's Exchange. Message pre-pop will only work if it's a new user or a new PIN for a user, so adding a user for the first time or switching handhelds for the user.

Also, message pre-pop is a Global setting on the BES and cannot be changed for each user.

BES 4.0 - Right click the BES icon and go to Properties
BES 4.1 - Click the BES in the BB Manager and go to Edit Properties

Have you searched for the user in the MAGT log on the BES?

The line will look like this:

[30292] (06/27 08:07:44):{0x1114} {<user_name>@domain.com} New or changed Device - email pre-population triggered

That line should exist for that and every new device. Hope that helps.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

From what I understand ONLY new users or existing users activating a new device will get message prepopulation. If I were to wipe my current activated device i would not get message population for my old messages. If I were to activate a different device on my account I would get the number of messages that are setup in the BES settings above.

That being said, I believe there is a registry hack for this to prepopulate on any activation. I've seen it on here before but couldn't tell you where.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #6
dyzs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9100
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
From what I understand ONLY new users or existing users activating a new device will get message prepopulation. If I were to wipe my current activated device i would not get message population for my old messages. If I were to activate a different device on my account I would get the number of messages that are setup in the BES settings above.

That being said, I believe there is a registry hack for this to prepopulate on any activation. I've seen it on here before but couldn't tell you where.
I was looking for this today, here you go John. http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...tml#post717406
Closed Thread