Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #521
madrabbitt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 305DF5EC
Carrier: T-mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Tmobile 8320 user here. Just finished the upgrade process, took about 2 hours total, including a lunch break when the newer version of the desktop software was downloading.

Random things that i've noticed that may or may not have been mentioned before:
-Precision theme looks a little weird when in the full apps menu Big clock, and its got a b/w strip on the top (where as the rest of the background pic is full color)
-Facebook app icon was missing, even when "show all" was enabled... attempted to download it again, and it updated it from 1.0 to 1.2... also, in the precision theme, the mini (notificaton) icon never appeared correct (just a red star instead of the red star over the mini icon) now thats fixed, although that was probably a fix with the app being updated.
-No 2 t-zones icons. Just the one normal one
-Had to manually enter in wap.voicestream.com again
-Max volume of mp3 ringtones was lower, i'll probably end up leaving boost off, and changing the settings from low to medium in the individual notification sections.

Going to pre-empt memory card problems. Already backed it up to my desktop, will format it in the device, then copy over the items from the backup manually (so that no .dat files get copied in the process)

Thats about it so far.

Now that i have a video camera on my phone again (that one the ONLY thing i missed from my previous phones) i'm super happy... its just the way i want it (till i get my hands on a sunset red housing...)
Old 07-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #522
olly666
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I made the upgrade days ago and still have no html email support. Have reset, resent service books... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! :(
Old 07-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #523
lambdacoreaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 304AEE5F
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt View Post
-No 2 t-zones icons. Just the one normal one
This is a non-carrier specific version - so it probably won't be there since OS that are distributed by the carrier companies generally have these and non-carrier specific versions don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly666 View Post
I made the upgrade days ago and still have no html email support. Have reset, resent service books... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! :(

Have you resent service books by going to My T-Mobile or did you do it through in phone service - if you haven't tried thru the T-Mo website try that and report back!

7105t>8320>9530 whats a curve?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:30 AM   #524
olly666

Model: 8900

You da man lambdacoreaz!
Old 07-31-2008, 02:40 AM   #525
stupink
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange uk

I had that with facebook, just delete it, and reinstall.
IIRC if you just reinstall you end up with two versions installed that dont show lol.

No lighting issues here other than the kb and ball DONT light up when on movie player SWEEEEET thank some supreme being for that!! lol.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:35 AM   #526
shona67

Model: 9700
Default Another Tip (It's working when I use this method last night)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollins View Post
First try pulling the battery for 30 seconds.
If that doesn't do it, then you will probably have to wipe and reload your OS.

How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ
Got an e-mail from T-Mobile's BlackBerry Tech Support regarding to solve error problems such as App Error 523. Certainly look like we really don't need to use JL_Cmder program. Here is an instruction from T-Mobile BB Tech Support.

The operating system on the device has become corrupted. Please reinstall the handheld software for the BlackBerry Device using the Blackberry Desktop Manager and current Handheld Software.

Before proceeding, make sure that the latest BlackBerry Desktop Software is installed on the computer by completing the following steps:

If you do not have the Blackberry Desktop Software, visit this link: How to upgrade to the latest software version - RIM Blackberry All Models

Warning: The following procedure will erase all data from the BlackBerry device. Back up the BlackBerry device before proceeding. For instructions, see KB12487 (BlackBerry Search Results).

To perform a clean install of the BlackBerry Device Software, perform the following steps:

1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and open BlackBerry Desktop Manager. (my advise is to remove a battery first and do not reinsert yet)
2. Double-click the Application Loader icon.
3. Click Next to start the installation process.
4. Type your BlackBerry device password, if prompted, and click OK.
5. Click the check boxes next to the names of the applications you want to load and click Next.
6. Click Advanced, and then click the check box beside Erase all currently installed applications. (put a battery on)
7. Click Next.
8. Click the check box next to Do not automatically backup the application data during the loading process, and uncheck the box next to Backup and restore applications installed wirelessly.
9. Click Next > Finish.
10. When the process has completed, the message The loading operation was successful will appear. Click Close to return to BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 PM   #527
velocity

Model: 8320

i'm far from impressed with this os. had nothing but problems and its very unstable for me. one day it will work flawless and the next day i'll have nothing but freezing/locking up and resetting while on phone calls. going to put my old os back on.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 PM   #528
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Its your media card.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:38 PM   #529
gshine666
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: to.
Carrier: Verizon

John I upgraded 10 days ago with zero problems. I have a 2gig media card where my pics and ringtones reside. Is there a problem in my future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Its your media card.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:56 PM   #530
brkdncr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: tmobile

I swapped a brand new 8GB media card from a 2GB media card. I have the same problem with both. Phone locks up/endless restarting, even during calls.

Only seems to happen when I have a lot of music loaded. For fun I tried the BB media manager and also just dragging a bunch of files in there. When I go to the media app it says "Scanning.." or something and after a few moments it will reset. I don't think this is a .dat file issue.

Until this is fixed I wouldn't recommend anyone upgrade if they plan to use a media card.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 PM   #531
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Did you reformat the card using the BB in 4.5? I have a 6GB card with lots of music and tons of files (it's pretty much full) and have no issues. There is a conflicting file in there somewhere. You just need to find it.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #532
garthfan0523

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkdncr View Post
I swapped a brand new 8GB media card from a 2GB media card. I have the same problem with both. Phone locks up/endless restarting, even during calls.

Only seems to happen when I have a lot of music loaded. For fun I tried the BB media manager and also just dragging a bunch of files in there. When I go to the media app it says "Scanning.." or something and after a few moments it will reset. I don't think this is a .dat file issue.

Until this is fixed I wouldn't recommend anyone upgrade if they plan to use a media card.
For what it's worth, I did the upgrade last week with no media card installed. I then went out a couple days later and purchased a Lexar 2GB card which I then spent the next few days filling up with music and photos.

To date, even after very heavy usage of the device, I have not encountered a single problem. Not with the phone, the media files, the OS...nothing.

Only gripe I have is that I get no sound when playing video from cnndotcom and I still can't seem to use m.youtube.com. Other than that, works great!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #533
John Clark
BBF Moderator

YouTube seems to work fine for me when on wifi. When on EDGE it's hit or miss at best.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:15 AM   #534
sublmnl67
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile
Default MP3 Ring Tones With 4.5 Orange

I upgraded successfully with 0 issues, however I have noticed that my MP3 ringtones are much lower then with 4.22. I turned on the audio boost and set up profile for the the loudest ring and they are still much lower then b4. Anyone else having this problem and is there a fix?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:18 AM   #535
stupink
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: orange uk

Another thing i've noticed, is that they've forgotten the I and O shortcuts on photo's for zoom.. not a huuuuuge problem, but i did use them a lot.. its still in the documentation as a shortcut, but it just doesnt work for me at least.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #536
pvdilf40
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMO

The shortcuts in photo's are moved to the numeric keys.

3 = Zoom in
9 = Zoom out
7 = Zoom orig size
1 = Fit picture to screen size
2 = pan up
4 = pan left
6 = pan right
8 = pan down

L = Rotate +90 deg (clockwise)
N = next (forward)
P = Previous (back)
Old 08-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #537
garthfan0523

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdilf40 View Post
The shortcuts in photo's are moved to the numeric keys.

3 = Zoom in
9 = Zoom out
7 = Zoom orig size
1 = Fit picture to screen size
2 = pan up
4 = pan left
6 = pan right
8 = pan down

L = Rotate +90 deg (clockwise)
N = next (forward)
P = Previous (back)
Thank you! I didn't ask the question, but that was a big help to me, as well.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #538
harddude5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthfan0523 View Post
For what it's worth, I did the upgrade last week with no media card installed. I then went out a couple days later and purchased a Lexar 2GB card which I then spent the next few days filling up with music and photos....
I suppose you know that 4.5 supports an 8GB card. Even my 8GB card seems puny compared to the 80GB's in my iPod. But as long as one doesn't intend to use your Curve to play TV shows and movies, I imagine 2GB is very adequate. Each 60 minute TV show I have loaded from TiVo seems to take about .6GB so it doesn't take much to fill up 8GB with video.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #539
John Clark
BBF Moderator

4.5 supports 16GB cards....when they become available.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #540
sepnotic

Default FYI on upgrading OS 4.5 to 8320

[QUOTE=Garz08;1019915]From Orange UK but can be loaded on ANY 8320 device from ANY carrier

Software For BlackBerry® Curve (TM) 8320 smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.75 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.5.0.75
Consisting of:
Applications: 4.5.0.52
Software Platform: 2.7.0.66
File name: 8320M_PBr4.5.0_rel75_PL2.7.0.66_A4.5.0.52_Orange.e xe
File size: 75.87MB
Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

Instructions for installing on ANY carrier's 8320:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of Desktop Manager installed.
2. Download the above file to the PC then install it to the PC by running the file you downloaded.
3. Locate the vendor.xml file and delete it. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
4. Plug in BB and Open Desktop Manager. You should be prompted to upgrade.
The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 45 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
If you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to DM again and run application loader again and it should load the OS to the device

*** FYI ***
The upgrade won't show any progress on Desktop Manager but your BB would goes blank (black) and the LCD light (upper left of BB) would turns to GREEN while it is upgrading. Hope this help.
Closed Thread