BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
pipskicks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Default RSS reader? (Change from Viigo...)

Please Login to Remove!

Like everyone else...I have been getting fed up with Viigo (lag, mem, battery), I have used it longer than Jivetalk, I LOVE it, and if a good Beta comes out, I'm ON IT. However, for now I am just getting annoyed and either a replacement, or a second reader would be really nice.

I would prefer free (just because I am a student working through the summer), I tried FreeRange and the first thing I thought was "WOW THIS IS FAST!!" That's probably because of my experience with Viigo. However, FreeRange is limited (for the free version). Are there any other simple ones like FreeRange to at least use in the meantime?
Old 07-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

Use NewsGator Go!. It's free and can synchronize the RSS feeds between your PC and your BB via an on-line account. It's from the NewsGator folks and is free of charge.

Works like a charm on my BB 8330.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

I use to use Bloglines but it doesn't function the same way as the others but worth looking at.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

You can also use the regular Viigo, which is avalible here... Get Viigo

Last edited by zerog46; 07-21-2008 at 03:27 PM..
Old 07-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
PabloTX
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Free Range.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
jorgeledesmadds
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2440be7c

Actually the Newsgator Go mentioned above is made by Free Range, they also have their own client with added functionality but the Newsgator Go is great as well

Jorge Ledesma
www.blackberrygtd.com & www.berryreview.com
Old 07-21-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
ubizmo

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile

There's an RSS reader built into Upvise, which has other useful features. And it's free from Upvise - Mobile On-Demand software, sync, collaboration, CRM for Small Businesses
Old 07-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
sheldonbk

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Just checked... Viigo 3.0.71 (beta) is 527K and Newsgator Go V 2.2.7 is only 196.3K.

Several months back when I checked out Newsgator, I returned to Viigo due to it's interface being better. However, I don't like the direction Viigo is going. If all I need is a news reader, then I don't need the overhead of weather, sports and other features that I have other aps and web links for. Chances are that the direction they're going in will lead it to being a premium (ie. not free) application in the not too distant future.

The battery drain, etc. is good incentive to find a better alternative. Hopefully Newsgator's improved over the past few months.

Sheldon

Last edited by sheldonbk; 07-21-2008 at 08:53 PM..
Old 07-22-2008, 05:55 AM   #9
squeff

Model: 8830
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonbk View Post
JChances are that the direction they're going in will lead it to being a premium (ie. not free) application in the not too distant future.
When I first saw the Tango feature list, I thought the same thing. However, upon seeing the beta, I think they are adding more "pay" features. There's a reason that they put "Entertainment" (which is just a way to buy game software) and the CFL (which include ways to buy tickets) on the home screen. My guess is that they'll keep it free, but the app will be littered with ways to buy things from partners. This isn't so much a switch from their model of havings ads, but it's clear there will be MANY more ads in the app when it's done.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
DougMcCready
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

PocketDay has a good RSS Reader.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
Cilraaz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I just downloaded FreeRange and have been playing around with it for a while. I have to say that I like it as a Viigo alternative. It's very nice and not nearly as bloated as Viigo is quickly becoming. I'd give FreeRange a thumbs up.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
sheldonbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeff View Post
When I first saw the Tango feature list, I thought the same thing. However, upon seeing the beta, I think they are adding more "pay" features. There's a reason that they put "Entertainment" (which is just a way to buy game software) and the CFL (which include ways to buy tickets) on the home screen. My guess is that they'll keep it free, but the app will be littered with ways to buy things from partners. This isn't so much a switch from their model of havings ads, but it's clear there will be MANY more ads in the app when it's done.
Perfectly logical.

At least until they work out the bugs, I'm bailing. I have to wonder how many customers Virtual Reach will lose during the beta period.

Sheldon
Old 07-22-2008, 11:47 AM   #13
pipskicks
Thumbs Must Hurt

So I've tried FreeRange, and I tried Gator yesterday as well. 2 comments:

1. Compared to Viigo it is harder to add channels, and I couldn't find too many channels I wanted.

2. It was LIGHTNING-FAST compared to Viigo! I just wish it had the same features for finding articles. I'm finding that I like my channels, and I also am used to certain features (opening full article, in browser, sending via e-mail) and it is hard for me to switch.

I REALLY hope Viigo at least stays free with ads
Old 07-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
PabloTX

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipskicks View Post
So I've tried FreeRange, and I tried Gator yesterday as well. 2 comments:

1. Compared to Viigo it is harder to add channels, and I couldn't find too many channels I wanted.
Did you try adding via the website? You can add any RSS feed and it will sync when you log in with your account.

Quote:
2. It was LIGHTNING-FAST compared to Viigo! I just wish it had the same features for finding articles. I'm finding that I like my channels, and I also am used to certain features (opening full article, in browser, sending via e-mail) and it is hard for me to switch.

You can open the full article in the browser, and can send the articles via email from within Free Range. Did you not find those features?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #15
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonbk View Post
Just checked... Viigo 3.0.71 (beta) is 527K and Newsgator Go V 2.2.7 is only 196.3K.

Several months back when I checked out Newsgator, I returned to Viigo due to it's interface being better. However, I don't like the direction Viigo is going. If all I need is a news reader, then I don't need the overhead of weather, sports and other features that I have other aps and web links for. Chances are that the direction they're going in will lead it to being a premium (ie. not free) application in the not too distant future.

The battery drain, etc. is good incentive to find a better alternative. Hopefully Newsgator's improved over the past few months.
I agree, I'm not sure I like the direction they are going either. I don't need all the extras and just use it as a feed reader. I'd rather they just improve the feed reader part and refine it over adding stuff. It seems many companies always feel the need to keep adding feature after feature instead of sticking with a simple solid program and people will use it if it works really well. I prefer having specific function apps over the all in one approach.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #16
Xyeta

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

FreeRange is my most used 3rd party App. I recently began using NewsGator, and my initial impression is good. Both free apps are way better than Viigo!
Old 07-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #17
sheldonbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw3000 View Post
I agree, I'm not sure I like the direction they are going either. I don't need all the extras and just use it as a feed reader. I'd rather they just improve the feed reader part and refine it over adding stuff. It seems many companies always feel the need to keep adding feature after feature instead of sticking with a simple solid program and people will use it if it works really well. I prefer having specific function apps over the all in one approach.
Exactly.. specific function apps give you the opportunity to get the best of each, where the all-in-one always comes up short.

Sheldon
Old 07-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #18
pipskicks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTX View Post
Did you try adding via the website? You can add any RSS feed and it will sync when you log in with your account.

You can open the full article in the browser, and can send the articles via email from within Free Range. Did you not find those features?
I didn't look for the e-mail, FreeRange I thought limited your feeds to a certain amount, am I wrong?

With NewsGator I guess I didn't sign in to the website (I'm usually doing this all on my phone), I think I may have given up too early...
Old 07-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #19
French
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
I didn't look for the e-mail, FreeRange I thought limited your feeds to a certain amount, am I wrong?

With NewsGator I guess I didn't sign in to the website (I'm usually doing this all on my phone), I think I may have given up too early...
FreeRange is limited to 10 feeds. Bummer...I was watching the demos getting all excited and then saw the 10 feed limit. Unless, of course, you want to pay them $40/year. Then it's unlimited.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #20
sheldonbk

I'm a little confused. I read the comments about Newsgator being very fast but I'm finding just the opposite. Also, when I select to mark all read or delete, it just hangs and seems to do nothing. When I reopen the feed that's supposed to be deleted, the same rss articles are there. Is there a setting that I'm missing.

Maybe I'll try the FreeRange product (since I can probably live with 10 feeds). I use more on my web (Google) RSS Reader but for my BB reader, I just want basics so I can be in the loop when I'm not at my laptop.

>> EDIT >> Thx to those who mentioned and discussed FreeRange here. It's a much better product. I'm not sure if there's actually a 10 feed limit though. I've been checking out many feeds and am sure that I have had more than 10 off and on. I tend to find more than 10 hard to handle, especially since I use the Google reader online. I don't want to spend my whole day reading RSS feeds.

Sheldon

Last edited by sheldonbk; 07-23-2008 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: To add feedback after trying FreeRange
Closed Thread