Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
jklewis

Model: 680
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default 750 vs 8310

Please Login to Remove!

I have been a Treo user for years, and currently have a 680. As a CEO I require instant Outlook e-mail AND calendar sync to and from handheld and desktop. My work now has MS Exchange.
Having my inbox subfolders (mirrored as my desktop) is a high priority
Reading Excel, Word, and Pdf files are a medium priority and very easy on the Treo.
Business ops out of the box, non-3rd party software, is high priority.
Maps and google is high priority.
I like the Treo touch screen but hear the BB screen and roller ball are fanstatic.
The Treo Windows syncs well with Outlook (highest Priority!!)
My Assoc Dir says I need to get the BB Curve NOW.
I live with this thing 24/7 and I am being too critical in my analysis.
Please help me make this critical decision.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

http://www.blackberryforums.com/hand...lackberry.html
that has some information from users here, and doesnt quote a "party line" as it were. With the BlackBerry and no additional software you will have a max of a 15 minute delay when receiving emails from Exchange. If you decide to go the route of a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, you will receive instant emails, wireless syncing of emails, contacts, notes, calendar, and tasks as well. (many many other things too). Keep in mind that in the business world, over 85% of professionals use a BlackBerry solution. That in and of itself should speak some to the merits of the device/architecture.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
Johnny909
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: Worms
Default Start here

Start here, and I hope that this is helpful.
J

BlackBerry FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 07-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
drgarth27
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklewis View Post
I have been a Treo user for years, and currently have a 680. As a CEO I require instant Outlook e-mail AND calendar sync to and from handheld and desktop. My work now has MS Exchange.
Having my inbox subfolders (mirrored as my desktop) is a high priority
Reading Excel, Word, and Pdf files are a medium priority and very easy on the Treo.
Business ops out of the box, non-3rd party software, is high priority.
Maps and google is high priority.
I like the Treo touch screen but hear the BB screen and roller ball are fanstatic.
The Treo Windows syncs well with Outlook (highest Priority!!)
My Assoc Dir says I need to get the BB Curve NOW.
I live with this thing 24/7 and I am being too critical in my analysis.
Please help me make this critical decision.
Hey jklewis,

if you glance at my signature you'll see that I've been around the bend and back again with handheld including the Palm 650 & 680.

Recently (in the Spring) I was introduced to the world of BB, quickly I moved from a 8700 to an 8300 and now am using an 8310. My wife has also entered the frey with an 8830.

My first response is that the treo overall can't compete with the 8310. I have not missed the touch screen once: the trackball and menu keys will be easy to adjust to, and as you mentioned the screen is amazing, not quite itouch/iphone quality (close though) but far superior to the treo.

With the basic docs to go with the OS 4.5 upgrade word is simple to read and edit (you can't create without buying). Also with the basic Docs to go your limited to word and power point. However there are other readers that allow you to see all major files including excel. I'm assuming pdf as well, although I have yet to receive one-maybe some else can clarify that.

There are no sync problems with windows and I use Outlook 2007, far simpler than I found palm syncing.

I use BIS so don't have mirrored mail boxes as you are looking for, however my wife is on an Exchange server and has matched mailboxes, synced calender as well on exchange- I'm rather jealous of this and too cheap to pay for one of the services that will do this for me.

As a palm user I was somewhat skeptical of moving away from that platform because of all the available software. I was amazed at the amount of BB third party apps that there are. I think you will be able to find what you need, however you will pay for them- unlike Palm software there are not many freebies compared to the palm community.

Don't know if you have other questions, but if you do ask away here or PM me.

Garth

PS welcome to the forum, it's an amazing community to be apart of.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
jklewis

Default BES on network or just my phone?

""If you decide to go the route of a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, you will receive instant emails, wireless syncing of emails, contacts, notes, calendar, and tasks as well.""

That involves the company server (?). Is that an add on that does not affect the intrenal server - as no one else would have a BB but me. We are not a large company but a small nonprofit.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

the BES (Enterprise Server) is actually software that links with your Exchange server. You can get a small business version (BlackBerry Professional Software) that is free for one user, and is designed to install on your email server. This would afford you exactly what you are looking for and not require additional hardware.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

This page here BlackBerry - BlackBerry Professional Software will help you out. Also be sure to check the comparison page. The BPS software is free for one user.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
jklewis

""As a palm user I was somewhat skeptical of moving away from that platform because of all the available software""

I have no current use for other software. Only mail, calendar, and phone/contacts that HAVE to be same as desktop Outlook. When I put in a new appointment on phone my staff need to see that on my desktop Outlook and if they send me an appointment request I need to be able to send that and show up.

What about text messaging on BB - is it similar to the Treo?

Thansk for the input.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #9
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

yes texting works the same. Also the treo physical keyboard is licensed from RIM so its very similar.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
drgarth27

Quote:
"

What about text messaging on BB - is it similar to the Treo?
I should have mentioned that, that is the only issue with the BB, it doesn't have true threaded texting like the treo. . . it keeps the conversations together but more like a replied email conversation, although the most recent transmission will include all parts of the conversation you will have also have a separate copy of each previous transmission of the conversation . . . hope that makes sense.

Now BB Messenger is more like the treo, however you are limited to only other BB users.

I think that invitations will only show up using BES or one of the subscription services that wirelessly sync your data with your outlook such as Thinkpost see this link for more info on that product . . .

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bbf-...-ota-sync.html
Old 07-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
jklewis

Default Sync with Outlook the Issue

I think the Outlook sync issue is a no-go for BB.

Why BB does not more fully and easily support Outlook is beyond me. My Assoc Dir's Blackjack is even seamless to Outlook. One should not need a special server program to do this. These proprietary issues suck, and only serve to hurt the user. I guess I will go to the Treo 750 or even the Blackjack for that matter.

I was sooo close to getting Curved too . . .
Old 07-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #12
drgarth27

Quote:

Why BB does not more fully and easily support Outlook is beyond me. My Assoc Dir's Blackjack is even seamless to Outlook. One should not need a special server program to do this. These proprietary issues suck, and only serve to hurt the user. I guess I will go to the Treo 750 or even the Blackjack for that matter.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you or not, but the BB will sync seamlessly with outlook when either connected by usb or bluetooth. However if you want it to sync when you are away from your computer so those in the office can see the additions you make while on the road, you will need some sort of server to make that happen.

Not sure how that is any different then the palm? And I'm saying that as a former palm user . . .
Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #13
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgarth27 View Post
I think that invitations will only show up using BES or one of the subscription services that wirelessly sync your data with your outlook such as Thinkpost see this link for more info on that product . . .
Aren't meeting requests supported by BIS now?

Quote:

What sync issue? I don't understand the rant. As stated the BB syncs really well with Outlook without BES. With BES you get better integration with Exchange/Outlook.

For your stated requirements you'd need BES or BPS anyway.

Last edited by takeshi; 07-10-2008 at 09:44 AM..
Old 07-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #14
quattrocs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: TB
PIN: you want it, then ask
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:

i think that you need to define outlook a little better.

there is mail and then PIM (Personal Information Management, such as calendar, contact, tasks and notes)

the BB has capabilities of doing all of these, its just a matter of how fast you want to get them.

out of the box, desktop redirector from BB will let you get emails quite fast to the phone, with out any additional intervention, the app gets installed on your desktop and setup. in order to work however you need to leave the computer on at all times. the redirector only does email, for you to get PIM you need to sync the phone to the computer via usb or bluetooth.

to get everything in realtime mail and PIM, you need BES or BPS (Blackberry entreprise server or blackberry professional server) this is just the name of the software.

personally at work i chose not to install on mail server. it doesnt need server hardware, i run them on desktop hardware. dell gx620, pentium 4 and 512mb of ram. this can run in windows xp or server.

Hope this clarifies your quest, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

7105t, 8320, 9530, 9550, Now Thunderbolt BES Admin, LAN Admin, CAD Manager
wished i had invested in rim stock when it was $5
Old 07-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #15
stnkyq2

Model: BOLD

Just stick with the 8310 better device!
Old 07-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #16
jklewis

Default Observations are not ranting

""I'm not sure if I'm understanding you or not, but the BB will sync seamlessly with outlook when either connected by usb or bluetooth. However if you want it to sync when you are away from your computer so those in the office can see the additions you make while on the road, you will need some sort of server to make that happen. . . . Not sure how that is any different then the palm?""

Hey, folks - I am not ranting on this . . . just making a justifiable observation through performing due diligence on this purchase and finding proprietary issues with required syncing. My Palm 680 running Palm OS syncs with Outlook, not just e-mail, in real time through our MS Exchange Server (which we already paid big bucks for) and no additional software. My IT provider states that the 750 with Mobile will do it even better.

When one looks at BB, I have found that you need another server program, that – if for more than one user – is pricey; and I consider that a 3rd party program to our already configured server system. I can’t justify this for only my phone/pda unless I have senior staff move to BB as well (and I pay for it).

In doing my due diligence, I am looking at “out-of-the-box” capabilities. I do not run any 3rd party software on my 680 and would not on the 750 or BB – it is for work only. To be required to purchase an additional program to get the functionality I require reduces the desirability of any product or service for my organization.

I blew my top at our IT provider when they installed a DVD drive/burner in my desktop but no software and told me it was not included. They now know that is unacceptable. A tool should come with the operational support to use that tool. In the last few days I have spoken to several professionals who use and/or support the BB line and they all confirm that other than e-mail, the BB does not sync with Outlook Calendar and Contacts (or other elements of Outlook) without additional purchased software and programming.

Other than this issue, I like the Curve very much and wish it could be my choice. Being a long-time Palm user I know that there are issues that I would like addressed in their products. That goes with my wireless carrier as well. Some of your comments show you are very loyal to the BB line and are willing (or your company is) to spend extra money and time to get the benefits of fully syncing with Outlook; some do not require a critical timely syncing. As my Senior Leadership Team and Exec Asst have full access to my calendar, and need to make appointments for me (or invite me to) the real time wireless aspect is critical.

Thanks for all your comments; you have helped me consider this decision and saved me time and hassle that would have come from a wrong choice at this time. Perhaps at a later date or a different organization, a BB will be the choice.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #17
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

jklewis -- I think you made a smart decision. Perhaps later the Blackberry will be better suited for your corporate environment.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #18
quattrocs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: TB
PIN: you want it, then ask
Carrier: Verizon

Currently the promotion for the free BPS license still stands. taking advantage of this i was the first one to implement/push for the BB, and my company has gone from 20 treo 650's to currently 38 BB distrubuted among 4 BES boxes.

everyone is happy and doesnt want to go back to treos.

having dealt and maintain both, the BB are simpler and easier to maintain.

7105t, 8320, 9530, 9550, Now Thunderbolt BES Admin, LAN Admin, CAD Manager
wished i had invested in rim stock when it was $5
Old 07-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #19
kmccarthy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Lately, there have been a lot of BB vs. Treo discussions. Just stating the obvious.

IMHO, I think asking a BB Forum about "BB vs. anything" will get you a biased answer.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #20
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ney for your thoughts
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccarthy View Post
IMHO, I think asking a BB Forum about "BB vs. anything" will get you a biased answer.
Not necessarily. I use the 8330 Curve, and am very happy with it. I am a recent convert to the BB. However, with much more Palm experience in my years, I can tell you without any bias that Palm does the texting way better, with their true threaded messaging. That is probably my single complaint with my BB. So there is my unbiased report on texting with the BB and the Treo. Oh, and even WinMo does threaded texting. Yikes! Why can't RIM get the BB OS to do it too?

Now, I know this is an old post, but in case anyone else is reading it for the first time, I can tell you that I have a Treo 750 provided by work, and I absolutely do not like this device. It is the worst Palm device I've ever used, and I've had the 650, 700p, and still own the Centro and Treo 800w. The keyboard is very stiff, causing many mistypes. It is also dog slow, and that isn't only because of the WinMo OS. My 800w performs rather quickly, and the keyboard is sweet (I quit using it for other problems). Still, I'll take the Curve over these other devices any day of the week. While I miss threaded messaging, it does everything else so much nicer that I can live with the loss.
Closed Thread