Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #281
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

There is one thing I will bet on and that is that the Bold introduction/sale will go MUCH better than it is going for the iPhone2! The iTunes site is in overload or crashed and even the stores are having trouble with activation. Many are just giving the phones to the new owners and telling them to try at home only to find out it can take a long time to get it activated. Most ATT stores got 20-30 phones and had that many in line, or more when they opened!

I am betting that this will not happen to the Bold!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #282
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
There is one thing I will bet on and that is that the Bold introduction/sale will go MUCH better than it is going for the iPhone2! The iTunes site is in overload or crashed and even the stores are having trouble with activation. Many are just giving the phones to the new owners and telling them to try at home only to find out it can take a long time to get it activated. Most ATT stores got 20-30 phones and had that many in line, or more when they opened!

I am betting that this will not happen to the Bold!
Of course it won't happen like that for the Bold. There won't be enough sales and activations to overload anything. When iPhone 3G went for online ordering in O2 in the UK, their online ordering system went down because of the sheer number of orders. At points there were 13,000 per second as soon as it went up.

Every major release of something has had problems. Firefox 3, which is now in the Guinness book of world records as the most downloaded software in a day, had TONS of problems from overloaded servers.

I predicted this might happen because of such a high demand for it. I would not bet you money because you would win. There will not be as high a demand for the bold. Online ordering systems will not reach 13000 per second, and there will be nothing to overload. Bold will require capacity only slightly higher than normal ... but nowhere NEAR excessive like iPhone 3G. Anyone that bets money on your conditions is foolish. Most certain loss.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 07-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #283
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

its will because there will be far fewer people activating phones...

really its not hard to figure out.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #284
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Wow you are smart!
Old 07-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #285
JG in SB
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Default Strange Feeling of Irritation

The iPhone is a great device and suits some people's needs really well. I have never been one to get caught up in iPhone vs. Bold arguments, and today is no exception.

So why do I have this strange feeling of mild annoyance/irritation this morning when I see a bunch of front page news articles about people camping out for the new iPhone, activation problems, etc.?

I think it is the same feeling I have when I see people hysterically flock to participate in any new "craze" or "fad". I admire Steve Job's ability to generate this type of hysteria for Apple's mass-consumer products (i.e. iPods and iPhones, not computers). But it blows me away that so many people feel like they "have to have an iPhone" that, even when the economy here in the USA and around the world is in piss-poor shape, they are camping out for the priveledge of forking over a few hundred bucks to, in many cases, replace a phone that they have had for less than a year (i.e. their current 1st generation iPhone). Thank goodness for economic stimulus checks.

I have in the past, and currently, use some Apple products, including the latest generation iPod Nano. This particular device was also the subject of mass-hysteria-buying, and a huge amount of media attention, although not to the extent of the iPhone. When I watched Jobsy present the new Nano and say how amazing it was because it could play videos, I remember thinking to myself "Is this guy totally unaware of the fact that there are already a bunch of portable media players available that have offered that feature for a while now?". The Nano is OK I guess. It works well, but it isn't substantially better in any particular criteria than previous non-Apple mp3 players I have used. And in some areas, it is inferior. Society has made the iPod "iconic", and it really is a well designed device. But is it worthy of the media coverage, and mass-hysteria buying that occurs when a new version is released? I don't know.

Again, I have nothing against iPhones, Apple, or Steve Jobs. It is the media's and consumers' unmitigated, almost-religiously faithful gushing over this new product that irritates me. I still am not sure why, but I guess it has to do with the iPhone getting such an overwhelming amount of media attention, and consumer-worship, when it really isn't that revolutionary of device, and basically does things that other devices have been doing for a long time.

I am sure Numetheus will have something to say about this

Last edited by JG in SB; 07-11-2008 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: Fixed typos.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #286
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG in SB View Post
So why do I have this strange feeling of mild annoyance/irritation this morning when I see a bunch of front page news articles about people camping out for the new iPhone, activation problems, etc.?
At about 10am I drove by a ATT store in Jacksonville, on the way to an account. These people were baking in the sun! Looked like 40-50 of them! I have to admit that Steve did his job and I hope they are as good as advertised.

The real test will be how long the battery lasts with 3G. No way to know for weeks as too much playing would kill any 3G phone. I am hoping all the BB owners that got theirs will let us know how they like it!
Old 07-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #287
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I love you! Wanna hug?

Old 07-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #288
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
The iPhone is a great device and suits some people's needs really well. I have never been one to get caught up in iPhone vs. Bold arguments, and today is no exception.

I think it is the same feeling I have when I see people hysterically flock to participate in any new "craze" or "fad". I admire Steve Job's ability to generate this type of hysteria for Apple's mass-consumer products (i.e. iPods and iPhones, not computers). But it blows me away that so many people feel like they "have to have an iPhone" that, even when the economy here in the USA and around the world is in piss-poor shape, they are camping out for the priveledge of forking over a few hundred bucks to, in many cases, replace a phone that they have had for less than a year (i.e. their current 1st generation iPhone). Thank goodness for economic stimulus checks I guess.

I have in the past, and currently, use some Apple products, including the latest generation iPod Nano. This particular device was also the subject of mass-hysteria-buying, although not to the extent of the iPhone. The Nano is OK I guess. It works well, but it isn't substantially better in any particular criteria than previous non-Apple mp3 players I have used. And in some areas, it is inferior. Society has made the iPod "iconic", and it really is a well designed device. But is it worthy of the media coverage, mass-hysteria buying thhat occurs when a new version is released? I don't know.

Again, I have nothing against iPhones, Apple, or Steve Jobs. It is the media's and consumers' unmitigated, almost-religiously faithful gushing over this new product that irritates me. I still am not sure why, but I guess it has to do with the iPhone getting such an overwhelming amount of media attention, and consumer-worship, when it really isn't that revolutionary of device, and basically does things that other devices have been doing for a long time.

Excitment around iphons and Ipods drive consumer spending. this will in time bring us out of an economic Slump!!

Ok im kidding but what the ipod and iphone does is bring apple more computer sales. I bet the numbers are stagering on how many people buy an ipod or iphone then later down the line start owning a Mac book or Imac.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 07-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #289
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
I just downloaded and installed iTunes 7.7 and am going through the iTunes store. OMG ... CONFIRMED. The applications that are out already for it (500+) kill all BlackBerry applications. If you want something more than just a phone and want 3rd party apps. iPhone kills BlackBerry all over the place now. And it just came out!
Yes! The raves on the new iPhone software are stunning!

Best of the worst: the App Store's hits and misses - Engadget
Old 07-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #290
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

I think it is the same feeling I have when I see people hysterically flock to participate in any new "craze" or "fad". I admire Steve Job's ability to generate this type of hysteria for Apple's mass-consumer products (i.e. iPods and iPhones, not computers). But it blows me away that so many people feel like they "have to have an iPhone" that, even when the economy here in the USA and around the world is in piss-poor shape, they are camping out for the priveledge of forking over a few hundred bucks to, in many cases, replace a phone that they have had for less than a year (i.e. their current 1st generation iPhone). Thank goodness for economic stimulus checks I guess.

I have in the past, and currently, use some Apple products, including the latest generation iPod Nano. This particular device was also the subject of mass-hysteria-buying, although not to the extent of the iPhone. The Nano is OK I guess. It works well, but it isn't substantially better in any particular criteria than previous non-Apple mp3 players I have used. And in some areas, it is inferior. Society has made the iPod "iconic", and it really is a well designed device. But is it worthy of the media coverage, mass-hysteria buying thhat occurs when a new version is released? I don't know.

The iPhone is something that everyone wants to be like. Go to pocketgear and search for the sheer number of software that tries to mimic the iPhone look, interface, functionality. Look at the sheer number of devices that try to mimic the device. Just about EVERY manufacturer is trying to create something "like" the iPhone or an iPhone killer, and this includes RIM. This is way beyond consumer-worship at that point.

How is iPhone NOT revolutionary. Straight from the dictionary:
Quote:
1. of, pertaining to, characterized by, or of the nature of a revolution, or a sudden, complete, or marked change: a revolutionary junta.
2. radically new or innovative; outside or beyond established procedure, principles, etc.: a revolutionary discovery.
The iPhone changed the way most new phones look, including how people interact with them. Before iPhone there were really no "finger-primary" phones. There was not as much a movement on desktop-like web browsing until iPhone came out, now everyone has improved their browsers to be better to compete with Safari. iPhone has shaped the future of phones and their capabilities, and is sought after and mimicd by everyone and yet still stands alone. Exactly how is this not revolutionary? Be every definition I have found, the iPhone is just that. Regardless of your bias against it, there is no denying that they have sparked a movement in touch screen devices.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #291
JG in SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcrn View Post
I bet the numbers are stagering on how many people buy an ipod or iphone then later down the line start owning a Mac book or Imac.
Yup. I bet you are right. I know some people where this was the case. And why not, they are good products that work really well for some people. I prefer PC's (Lenovo ThinkPads to be exact) but I would never "diss" Apple computer offerings. They have great visual designs, and pretty much first-rate build quality. They are just a better solution for some people than others.

Apple makes great stuff, I just don't think that their offerings are so much better than other offerings that they deserve the media hype and consumer worship that they get. That's all. The masses, and the media, should realize that they are "workin' for the man" when they go nuts like this (and by "the man" I mean Steve of course)
Old 07-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #292
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Yes! The raves on the new iPhone software are stunning!

Best of the worst: the App Store's hits and misses - Engadget
No matter what there will be bad reviews on everything. I don't look at all of the negative commentary on how much BB sucks and make my mind on THAT. I love my BlackBerry for the good things, not because some people give their negative opinions. Most reviews are good ... some are bad. Its just part of life.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #293
JG in SB

Quote:
The iPhone is something that everyone wants to be like.
This is exactly what bugs me. Whenever I see anyone or anything trying to "be like" something else, it bugs the crap out of me "I have to have an iPhone because everyone else thinks they are cool". That sort of thinking bugs me.

Trying to "be like" something or somebody that everyone already thinks is cool is the safe and easy bet for people or products that don't have the "balls" (for lack of a better word) to try and be unique. It's what the boring kids at my high school did because they were too insecure to do what they liked.

Numetheus, I think you missed my point. I was talking about hysteria related to the 3G iPhone, not iPhones in general. The original iPhone WAS revolutionary. Everything you say above applies to the original iPhone. However, it doesn't really apply to the new one, which is just a speed-upgraded version of the original. Not much different than the 2nd year model of a new car, which looks and performs exactly like the 1st year model, but includes a few extra features, a new paint color, maybe a new more powerful engine offering etc.

I have no "bias" against the iPhone. But I do think people that religiously worship it (or any other consumer product) are a little bit strange

Last edited by JG in SB; 07-11-2008 at 06:54 PM..
Old 07-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #294
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
No matter what there will be bad reviews on everything. I don't look at all of the negative commentary on how much BB sucks and make my mind on THAT. I love my BlackBerry for the good things, not because some people give their negative opinions. Most reviews are good ... some are bad. Its just part of life.
I have to admit that you have a positive attitude!

Sorry to be negative but have tried the iPhone and it was not for me. Not becasue it was not a good device, it was and had a great WOW factor but that is not enough for me when I need to handle 60+ emails a day in the field. The iPhone speaker was not loud enough to hear in less than quite locations. I remember my ear hurting from me pushing the device against my ear so hard to seal out only moderate noise. Cut and Paste IS important to me, vastly important and saves me alot of retyping.

If you will remember, i have always said there is more than enough room for both the Bold and the iPhone on this planet! I concede the iPhone is going to be the most popular consumer based phone to date!

I like we ALL have so many choices!

Last edited by greggebhardt; 07-11-2008 at 06:50 PM..
Old 07-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #295
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I have to admit that you have a positive attitude!

Sorry to be negative but have tried the iPhone and it was not for me. Not becasue it was not a good device, it was and had a great WOW factor but that is not enough for me when I need to hadle 60+ emails a day in the field. Cut and Paste IS important to me, vastly important and saves me alot of retyping.

If you will remember, there is more than enough room for both the Bold and the iPhone on this planet! I concede the iPhone is going to be the most popular consumer based phone to date!

I like we ALL have so many choices!
Yay for choices!!! I am just on my gadget jollies because iPhone 3G is out. But if history repeats itself (and it always does) I will be just as excited for the Bold. I remember when the 1st gen iPhone came out. I put my 8100 away, got the iphone. And when the 8310 came out I was all over that come release day. Now its iPhone 3Gs turn, and in a couple of months Bold will get its share of the lovin. LOL

Old 07-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #296
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
This is exactly what bugs me. Whenever I see anyone or anything trying to "be like" something else, it bugs the crap out of me

Trying to "be like" something or somebody that everyone already thinks is cool is the safe and easy bet for people or products that don't have the "balls" (for lack of a better word) to try and be unique. It's what the boring kids at my high school did because they were too insecure to do what they liked.

Numetheus, I think you missed my point. I was talking about hysteria related to the 3G iPhone, not iPhones in general. The original iPhone WAS revolutionary. Everything you say above applies to the original iPhone. However, it doesn't really apply to the new one, which is just a speed-upgraded version of the original. Not much different than the 2nd year model of a new car, which looks and performs exactly like the 1st year model, but includes a few extra features, a new paint color, maybe a new more powerful engine offering etc.

I have no "bias" against the iPhone. But I do think people that religiously worship it (or any other consumer product) are a little bit strange
I don't really worship anything except my Mom, because ... well, she gave me life. LOL. I am just getting my gadget jollies and when Bold comes out the jollies start all over again. Your right about other companies that "copy". And right now ... they are all doing it. INCLUDING RIM. That is why I am so against the Thunder or whatever the hell its called. It just shows RIM has no balls and is giving in to be like everyone else. Their time and effort SHOULD go to revamping the OS and its development tools. 4.5 is not a revamp ... its an evolution. The entire thing is still basically the same with a little facelift.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #297
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Quote:
Wow you are smart!
thank you, but it really means nothing from you.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #298
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
thank you, but it really means nothing from you.
Awwwwwww I think you are smart test54!!

Old 07-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #299
Blackberryer

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Of course it won't happen like that for the Bold. There won't be enough sales and activations to overload anything.
LOLOLOLOLOL

Watching Greg slam his head into this one was hysterical. He couldn't have set it up better for you if he had used a tee.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #300
JG in SB

Quote:
That is why I am so against the Thunder or whatever the hell its called.
Well it looks like we agree on something Interestingly, the very first thing I thought when I saw the Thunder was "If I was going to buy something like this, why wouldn't I just buy an iPhone?" LOL

Have a great day.

Last edited by JG in SB; 07-11-2008 at 07:04 PM..
Closed Thread