Old 05-25-2005, 08:13 AM   #1
labberton
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: vodafone
Default BES upgrade 3.6 to 4.0

Please Login to Remove!

Dear All

We are considering performing a BES upgrade and I have heard several rumours that if it all goes wrong you can lose all your email, is this true?

I have also heard that its best to uninstall 3.6 and then install 4.0, there is no clean upgrade?

Is this true?

Are there any docs on this, as the ones I found told me that you just ideally run the 4.0 install, it will backup your database and then install 4.0?

Please help as I am gettign a little worried!

Thanks

Lloyd
Old 05-25-2005, 08:26 AM   #2
WolfKeeper
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've only done one 3.6 > 4.0 upgrade thus far, and it was painless.

The only problem I had was getting the database backed up properly, which took longer than normal (I kept missing a flag which was related to the database login.)
Old 05-25-2005, 08:36 AM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

1 - No.
2 & 3 - With any application upgrade, its always best to have a clean install. However, there is an upgrade path you can take that is painless as well. If you do not use IT Policy with your corporation, then I'd suggest uninstalling and doing a clean upgrade. Its less of a headache and just easier, so long as you remember to export your user list (or atleast write down the users' names) and keep the SRP ID+SRP Auth Key+BES mailbox/svc acct+BES Virtual Server name the same on the new installation. Once installed, add the users back, choosing to NOT delete any existing information/statistics - they won't even have to recradle.

The installation guide is fairly detailed on the upgrade process. However, there are MANY posts here asking the same question you did or simply giving someone's personal experience - both with an upgrade and just a clean uninstall/install. Just look down a few posts and/or a few pages. Or do a forum search for "BES upgrade 3.6 4.0" (without the quotations).
Old 05-26-2005, 05:24 AM   #4
Kul
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
Carrier: Vodafone (UK)

Jibi, you mentioned the upgrade, but you also mentioned that you need to uninstall 3.6 and then doing a clean upgrade. Surely its not an upgrade but a new installation at this point isnt it ?

I havent done any upgrades so far or done any installs, so Iam not sure. Iam juts reading all I can and making sure I dont have any surprises when I do an upgrade.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:04 PM   #5
DoomBringer

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T

We're looking at upgrading too, the thing that is holding us back is the price!
$1000 for a one time upgrade... yowza! 3.6.5 is doing just fine, thank you.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:02 PM   #6
BBgod

Model: 7290

The upgrade is free if you have paid for T-Support from RIM
Old 05-26-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kul
Jibi, you mentioned the upgrade, but you also mentioned that you need to uninstall 3.6 and then doing a clean upgrade. Surely its not an upgrade but a new installation at this point isnt it ?

I havent done any upgrades so far or done any installs, so Iam not sure. Iam juts reading all I can and making sure I dont have any surprises when I do an upgrade.
Technically speaking, you are correct. However, in terms of methodology - the complete process of moving from one version to the other - then you'd be upgrading (in a sense).

I've upgraded/downgraded/upgraded/downgraded/upgraded our Test server, using both Upgrade and Uninstall/Install, and I prefer the Uninstall/Install method. I used this method to "upgrade" our Production server (the one with all of the C-, V-, and D- executives on it) and it went flawlessly - 20-30 minute process in whole (a bit longer than the other method, but I like the cleanliness of it).
Old 05-31-2005, 01:38 PM   #8
DoomBringer

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBgod
The upgrade is free if you have paid for T-Support from RIM
which is expensive stuff Im sure.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #9
Kul

Jibi,

Could you give your experience on this thread, it will be much appreciated, as as you have done alot of DR testing.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=9426

Last edited by Kul; 06-01-2005 at 11:00 AM..
Old 06-01-2005, 10:58 AM   #10
Kul

Jibi,

Could you give your experience on this thread, it will be much appreciated.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=9426
Old 06-01-2005, 11:51 AM   #11
udontknowjack

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

Kul, I'm disappointed, you didn't like my answers?

I've done 3 seperate 3.6 to 4.0 upgrades as well. I prefer the install clean method. On 2 of the upgrades, I had problems migrating the database and had to create new databases and then migrate users to the databases from the besadmin mailbox using the besmigration tool. The clean install just seems better as on all cases the servers had been upgraded since 2.1 and it was ready for a fresh clean install.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:41 PM   #12
cartwfh

Model: 8700
Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Technically speaking, you are correct. However, in terms of methodology - the complete process of moving from one version to the other - then you'd be upgrading (in a sense).

I've upgraded/downgraded/upgraded/downgraded/upgraded our Test server, using both Upgrade and Uninstall/Install, and I prefer the Uninstall/Install method. I used this method to "upgrade" our Production server (the one with all of the C-, V-, and D- executives on it) and it went flawlessly - 20-30 minute process in whole (a bit longer than the other method, but I like the cleanliness of it).
Jibi I notice you mentioned a test server. forgive my Ignorance, but how would i go about building a test server without a valid install code? or did you simply re-use the same one? how does that work?

Fred
Old 06-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #13
Digger

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

I have done 4 test server upgrades and one production upgrade from 3.6 to 4.0. I struggled with the upgrade procedure in the doc, then decided to use the "uninstall method". WOW! That is the only way I will do it from now on! It saved so much time, effort, and (definitely) headaches!

In the four "uninstall" upgrades that I did, only one had an issue. MDS had an issue to where none of the users could surf the internet. Ran a repair and it fixed it. The documented method I had all kinds of horror.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:30 AM   #14
Kul

udontknowjack, Iam sorry, I dont mean to offend you in anyway. Firstly, I posted my quote before yours, so I didnt get to read yours and I only meant to see what input Jibi had to say. Its just gathering someone else's opinion on this.

Just like everyone else I wanted to know different methods for recovering my system in the DR event. Knowing various methods for recovering can only help us.

Once again, I apologies as I didnt mean to offend you in any way, and Yes reading your post now, its a very valid suggestion.

Last edited by Kul; 06-02-2005 at 04:37 AM..
Old 06-03-2005, 12:46 AM   #15
Stabs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

We're also trying to get our client to upgrade from 3.6 to 4.0. From my understanding we will have to touch every device that's deployed to upgrade the firmware of the units to 4.0? Or can we push that all down wirelessly once the BES server is upgraded to 4.0?
Old 06-03-2005, 07:43 AM   #16
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

There are only three ways to upgrade handheld SW.
1. Using the Application Loader within the DM
2. Using the Application Loader from a remote location
3. Software Configuration on Handheld Configuration Tool
Item 1....that should be quite familar by now
Item 2.....that makes use of the App Loader Lite feature. This method involves two steps. First the sys admin provide users with a link to open "Remote Application Loader". Then, if users have HandHeld Manager installed on their wrkstns, they can upgrade handheld sw with the Remote Application Loader upgrade wizard.
Item 3...if users do not have Handheld Manager and Desktop Manager installed, the sys admin must upgrade the devices using the administration wrkstn. The number of devices that can be upgraded at once is limited to the number of communication ports on the administration wrkstn. This however requires that the sys admin define the software configuration on the BES server. This is sometimes referred to as the "Filling Station" method.
A variation of the above methods (that I 've used)..is to download all the device codes from the vendor/carrier site (we have multiple device types). Extract the loader files and place them on network share. The vendor XML and device XML files takes care of determing which device code is to be loaded whena user activates the "loader.exe" file in the share. You could also place the DM install file sin the share and have it do a silent install as well.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:09 AM   #17
Stabs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

After upgrading to BES 4.0 the devices should still work with firmware versions 3.6 right?
Old 06-03-2005, 08:17 AM   #18
dev
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Yes they will.....the only difference is that some older devices are not able to report all their device specific info to the config db. Example 957s will not show a lot of device info...which might be important from an asset mgmt point of view. The other thing is, don't expect to be able to do any wireless activations (EA) with 3.6->3.8 OS coded devices. That's only possible with 4.0 device code.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:21 AM   #19
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartwfh
Jibi I notice you mentioned a test server. forgive my Ignorance, but how would i go about building a test server without a valid install code? or did you simply re-use the same one? how does that work?

Fred
We have a separate SRP for Test and Prod.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:51 AM   #20
BaronVonBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Just wanted to mention that I just finished a v3.6 to v4.0 for Exchange upgrade via UNinstall method per the reccommendation of several posters here. We have a test server for our handheld application that had been on v3.6 due to compatability concerns. After confirming with the vendor that there was no danger going to BES4, I started putting my documentation together in preparation for the 'upgrade'.

Basically what I did was nearly identical to what Jibi reccommended, i.e:
1) Export user list, backup management database, etc.
2) Uninstalled MSDE 7
3) Uninstalled BES 3.6
4) Installed MSDE 2000
5) Installed BES v4.0
6) Imported users
7) Installed SP1 and Hotfixes

No problems whatsoever, thanks again blackberryforums users!
Closed Thread