BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:20 AM   #1
JackNastowski

Model: 7250
Default HELP!!! move saved messages (for my boss)

Please Login to Remove!

I have to extract my boss's "saved messages" from his old blackberry and load them on to his new blackberry as "saved messages".

The old blackberry is a 7250 and has about 500 saved messages. The newer blackberry is a 8703 and has about 300 new messages since he switched blackberries two weeks ago.

He is on a Blackberry Enterprise Server. His blackberry is set to wirelessly sync, but he has Desktop Manager on his PC.

I absolutely have to get these saved messages on to his new blackberry as well as keep all the new messages.

Desktop Manager will only allow me to backup and restore "messages". There seems to be no way to specify "saved messages". The "messages" option does include the saved messages, however, backing up and restoring "messages" overwrites all the messages, and I lose all the newer messages on the new blackberry- and they don't come back.

I'm pooping my pants. If someone can help me with this. I would be in great debt to their good deeds.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNastowski
I absolutely have to get these saved messages on to his new blackberry as well as keep all the new messages.
Can not be done. All messages are stored in a single database on the BlackBerry. You can only restore the database as a whole. It is not possible to only restore part of the database. Sorry.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-22-2007, 01:45 AM   #3
JackNastowski

Thank you for your quick (and honest) reply.

If I restore the old blackberry's messages to the new two week old blackberry, is there anyway I could repopulate the new blackberry with received and sent messages from the past two weeks?

If not, is there anyway I could combine the new and old blackberry's message files?

If not, is there anyway I could extract the saved messages from the old blackberry as a text document?

Thanks for your help. I am just trying to think of possible alternate solutions.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
lbaumann58

Model: 7290
Carrier: t-mobile

I have had similar issues....

try emailing the saved messages on the old bb to the new bb, then save them again. you will lose data in the headers about who sent them and when, but the content will be preserved.

if when forwarding you get the dreaded red X, try resending from the original account. depending on the age of the message and your carrier, you might have to forward them to the new bb using a different email address than the one used to receive the original message.

it is tedious but doable. good luck.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Dear Jack,

You have posted this same message on several forums and keep getting the same answer. When will you believe the experts?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
Scr_ooge
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Z30
Carrier: T-Mobile DE
Exclamation

hi,
do you know the tool "ABC Amber Blackberry converter"?

With this tool you can open ipd files and export mails, one by one if you want.
But also this tool shows you one big bix with messages.
You might need to mark all the saved messages and export them to pdf, txt, xls, doc...
Note: You cannot edit the ipd file with this tool and it is not for free, if you want to use it with hundreds of documents.

Not sure if this helps.

But again:
When you restore a backup to a BB and the BB has newer mails on it, they WILL be overwritten.

Best,

Scr_ooge

PS. Maybe you should restore the saved messages to another (old) device and hand this out to your boss...
Old 01-31-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
typeshprelude98
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks for posting ABC....That just saved my retail operations manager's @$$
Old 02-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #8
bravo369

Carrier: Cingular

I've never tried this myself but I thought of it when reading the problem. What if you restore emails to a nonactivated blackberry. It now has the restored files. You then activate that blackberry with BES4. It is supposed to populate emails from the user's inbox. Does it ADD to the emails already in the list or does it overwrite them? I've had this question at work before also but this is the first time i've thought of doing it this way.
Closed Thread