ItsaRaid
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: 217B8701
Carrier: AT&T
Default 9700 Usage on Commercial Aircraft

Please Login to Remove!

9700 Useage on Commercial Aircraft

can anyone answer this, I recently flew Delta/NWA from Minneapolis to Columbus, I had the new I-Phone 3G/S, I turned the Aircraft Mode On, (kills the Cellphone portion), it immediatley recognised and placed the wifi icon in the upper left of the display, the connection window ("Popped open") had uhthutwi7 in it I clicked okay, it appeared as though it connected, however I couldnt send email and it wouldnt allow me to connect to the internet, I asked the Stewardess if the flight had free internet connect and she said yes. I tried Safari as well, when I "sent the email" I immediately got an error window stating the connection to the server failed. I am a AT&T Customer. When I started to get off the aircraft the Pilot said, did you have any sucess, I said no, he said , and showed me a BB9700. He said the BB9700 has no problem, they get asked all the time by I-Phone users. He said its a Apple Thing. You can surf but you cant email?

Is this true? How do you use the 9700 on a Aircraft.

Also I am thinking of going back to the 9700, How do I retrieve all my Contacts, Notes and Phone Book ect, does it synch with Outlook? I forgot.

Also does anyone know if the 9700 on AT&T does Hebrew? this is Crucial for me to know.

The Pin# on my account is incorrect, I would appreciate it so much if someone could email me at with an answer.

The I-Phone is a Nice Toy Phone, Games, Beautiful Display, if your a gamer, or your trying to keep up with the Jonsies, this is the phone for you. I do Insurance Consulting, My clients have to have easy and quick access to me, the Blackberry Email, Instant and Pin Messaging is unbeatable, either that or they spoiled me for Life. The Touch Keyboard sucks, I dont like it, I didnt like it then, and I dont like it now-

You cant change everything on the I-Phone like you can on the BB, and I get server errors all the time telling me that something is using my email acount therfore the Desktop gets locked out of my email, until I turn off the I-Phone, something that never occured with the BB. Lastly, I was threatened by Apple if I unlock the phone I will violate the terms of warranty. I can simply get a new 9700, call Rim or AT&T up and ask for Unlock, and they will give it to me rightaway, without a threat.

After spending so much Money, Apple can take their threat and stick it up their CPU. I am a Customer, not a Inmate at a Prison.
Lastly, Someone made a comment on Adobe Flash, is Flash finally available for the 9700 BB?

Last edited by Dubdub; 12-18-2009 at 10:02 PM..
Old 12-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I removed your email address from the post. I figured you didn't want it to be "harvested" by any of the several bots that frequent looking for email addresses. Plus it just isn't a good idea to hang it out there any way. If someone want to contact you, they can do it via the forum.

If the iPhone doesn't sync with outlook (it does with Entourage, the Mac version of Outlook) you can always sync with Google contacts and calendar. BBs sync with Outlook, one of the few PIMs it does work with easily.

No flash on the BB yet AFAIK.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaRaid View Post
The Pin# on my account is incorrect, I would appreciate it so much if someone could email me at with an answer.
Just change your PIN here yourself, through the Control Panel, upper left of this screen "User CP" > Profile.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
pilot1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: Ball Wizard

A friend of mine just travel from Cincinnati to Tuscon and he had a 9700 his wife had an iPhone. He had email she did not. He emailed me the whole flight. Not sure why one works and the other doesn't.

The 9700 does have hebrew available. I have a post on this forum with a link to a hebrew download. The newest version even has spell check. The nice thing is its FREE. Search the forum for 9700 hebrew or click on my name and look at my previous post. I think it was the last post I made.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
pilot1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1 View Post
The 9700 does have hebrew available. I have a post on this forum with a link to a hebrew download. The newest version even has spell check. The nice thing is its FREE. Search the forum for 9700 hebrew or click on my name and look at my previous post. I think it was the last post I made.
Here is the link. Hebrew for the Blackberry
Old 12-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
ItsaRaid

Pilot1
Thank you, isnt "Hebrew" part of the (Read Only) Op system that comes with the 9700 for AT&T?

Also, Unlocking the 9700, can AT&T do it when I pick up the phone?

Thank You
Larry
Old 12-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

No, ATT likely won't do it on purchase of the device.
They will do it for free if you are a customer in good standing, for 90 days, or it you tell them you are traveling overseas very soon.

Either way, you may have to call and get the unlock code after you leave the store.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

To retrieve all your iPhone contacts, calendar items, etc., I'd need to know what you are syncing your iPhone with now. Entourage on a Mac? No problem--just sync your new 9700 back to Entourage.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
ItsaRaid

Default Contacts ect to 9700

Thank you,
Am running a PC with Vista Ultimate, Everything Contacts, Phone Book ect are synched to Outlook and I-Tunes (Clunk-Tunes)

Obviouslly my Contacts, Notes, and Phone book are what I want to get over to the new 9700

If I still have the I-Phone 3G/32S, wont the BBDesk Top Manager transfer it from the Phone itself to the 9700?
Old 12-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

You know, it might. I just don't recall if the Desktop Manager > Switch Device Wizard works with the iPhone. Maybe someone else here knows, or has used it for the iPhone.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #11
pilot1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaRaid View Post
Pilot1
Thank you, isnt "Hebrew" part of the (Read Only) Op system that comes with the 9700 for AT&T?

Also, Unlocking the 9700, can AT&T do it when I pick up the phone?

Thank You
Larry
Hebrew was not installed with my 9000 or 9700. I think it was on an OS for my 83xx's, but the download takes seconds and you can read and type. Figuring out which letter is which is a bit tough for me, you get used to it.

xxx1513;xxx1500;xxx1493;xxx1501;

Shalom
Old 12-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
zGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

This is a great advertisement for the BB9700 (or RIM for that matter), vs. the iPhone
Old 12-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
jcp007
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

Ok...Don't everyone pile on at once since it has been a long time since I last flew on an airplane but I was under the impression that you had to turn off the device radio while in flight. When did WiFi become available on aircraft? Don't you need the radio to push/pull emails???
Old 12-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #14
dbltap
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: N/A

Many airlines are beginning to offer WiFi on Board. I've used my laptop and my 9700 with WiFi on American. It has to be turned off for takeoff and landing. You do turn off the carrier service while flying. But the WiFi does work. BlackBerry can certainly access the BlackBerry network over WiFi only. Why the iPhone won't access e-mail over WiFi only, I can't see. It seems to work over my local network in airplane mode.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #15
ItsaRaid

Dtap

I have a Linksys Gamer Wireless router at home- When I drive home and get into the drive way the phone immediately shows wifi if its on-

I tried something, I put the phone in Airplane Mode, turned Wifi On, the phone found the wifi immediately without problem
Old 12-27-2009, 06:24 AM   #16
larrylynch53

Model: 9780
Carrier: tmobile

Delta/NW uses a service called GoGo. It operates above 10k feet but once your Blackberry finds it you have to go through a login process on your browser. I've seen them distribute free usage cards at gates periodically and I use the service regularly for flights longer than 3 hours. I can text, email and listen to radio/Pandora pretty much flawlessly (just one flight I was unable to login). I have noticed that with Tmobile UMA (which is active inflight) I receive calls. I can't stand the phone call disturbance so I shut it off but I'm not sure gogo has resolved wifi calling yet.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #17
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

I believe this is now moot as cell phones, laptops, PDAs, iPods, etc. can no longer be used at any point onboard a commercial aircraft.

Thanks "guy-who-burned-his-own-legs-because-he-had-explosives-in-his-underwear."

EDIT: Never mind... this change in procedure appears to apply only to flights headed to the US from non-US origins.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.

Last edited by ifonline; 12-28-2009 at 01:19 PM..
Closed Thread