Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
jerrydixon

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default Unlocked 8120 on Vodafone UK BIS Contract

Please Login to Remove!

New to Blackberry and have searched the Forum for answers to this but no luck.

I bought an unlocked Pearl 8120 to use with my Vodafone UK contract. Upgraded my service to include the Blackberry Internet Service and have got several Pop3 accounts working fine. But ..

Have been struggling to get Maps and Vodafone Live working properly. After many hours (seriously) on the phone to Vodafone and lots of Service Book downloads I was finally advised that the problem was that, as I had purchased an unlocked Blackberry, I didn't have the Vodafone "certificates" on the device so couldn't use Vodafone Live or Vodafone Sat Nav.

Don't know if there is a fix for this - I have mailed Vodafone to ask them nicely. I would have thought it would be in Vodafone's interest to get me using their services and paying the associated data rates.

Any help, pointers or suggestions gratefully received.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
pda
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: o2

easiest option is to pay to get it unlocked.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pda View Post
easiest option is to pay to get it unlocked.
I don't see how this addresses the OPs question
Old 03-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #4
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydixon View Post
New to Blackberry and have searched the Forum for answers to this but no luck.

I bought an unlocked Pearl 8120 to use with my Vodafone UK contract. Upgraded my service to include the Blackberry Internet Service and have got several Pop3 accounts working fine. But ..

Have been struggling to get Maps and Vodafone Live working properly. After many hours (seriously) on the phone to Vodafone and lots of Service Book downloads I was finally advised that the problem was that, as I had purchased an unlocked Blackberry, I didn't have the Vodafone "certificates" on the device so couldn't use Vodafone Live or Vodafone Sat Nav.

Don't know if there is a fix for this - I have mailed Vodafone to ask them nicely. I would have thought it would be in Vodafone's interest to get me using their services and paying the associated data rates.

Any help, pointers or suggestions gratefully received.
If you have registered the device with Vodaphone you should have no problem with using all functions on their network. This is a shot in the dark, but perhaps load a Vodaphone released HH OS on the device ...
Old 03-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

I second what HDawg has said

I use unlocked devices from all over the world on TMO usa ans ATT with no problem using any of the features
Old 03-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
jerrydixon

Thanks for the ideas. For clarity, most of the BB functions are working - including wifi and pop3 accounts. It is only the Vodafone specific services - Vodafone Sat Nav and Vodafone Live which are not available. Not too worried about Vodafone live (although it does mean I will now need to configure my browser for a different web service) but Vodafone Sat Nav uses cell site data to establish approximate location on the map.

My thinking was that as I am paying Vodafone for the BIS service I ought to be able to access this stuff.

I have just come off the phone to Vodafone Customer Service who tell me that the "certificates" which enable these applications are loaded onto the handset early in the provisioning process and it is "not possible" to load them later. Not convinced about this - I'm sure there must be a way.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
david_uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone

Methinks "certificates" are a red herring.

Vodafone Live! working OK on my SIM free 8120 (not that I've ever found it useful).

And - silly question coming up - don't you need GPS for Voda SatNav? I use Google Maps, v.2.0 now defaults to your current position (also using cell site data). Works a treat with WiFi.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:24 AM   #8
jerrydixon

David, thanks for a really helpful post. You may be right about the Red Herring.

I do actually get a Vofaone Live page coming up but there are no graphics on it and loads of white space - not at all like it looked on my old regular phone. It's like it's not been configured correctly but no amount of Vodafone tech support could improve on this. Do you get the full graphic Vodafone live page?

The tip about Google Maps is a great one - I shall go off and investigate. If I could resolve this then I think I can forget all about Vodafone's "certificates" and give up on Vodafone altogether.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:49 AM   #9
david_uk

No graphics on Vodafone Live! here either - but no great loss.

If you plan to use Google Maps via GPRS, watch the data charges!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:16 AM   #10
jerrydixon

Thanks Dave. Got Google Maps and Opera Mini up and running now - Vodafone Live is just a distant memory! Take your point about GPRS charges for maps but it's nice to know it's there and working if needed.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #11
andrewburke

Default 8120 on vodafone not connecting to google maps or yahoo

Hi to all, I am looking for some help with my blackberry 8120, I have bought one off line sim free and unlocked. I have setup several emails accounts and vodafone live browser with no problems, however when I try to use maps, or google maps or yahoo i keep getting messages telling me i require a data connection. I believe i already have a data connection so am a little confused,have spoken to vodafone with no joy. I tried this morning an O2 sim chip in the same phone and all the functions worked fine, so it must be related to either the si settings or the network. I noticed somebody else has managed to get google maps working on a 8120 unlocked using vodafone - how did you do it? if anyone else has advise i would be very greatfujl

thanks!
Old 05-06-2008, 01:39 AM   #12
david_uk

Try Options / Advanced Options / TCP then type:

APN: internet
Username: web
Password: web

Hope this helps and welcome to BBForums.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:41 AM   #13
andrewburke

David,

Thanks for your advise and suggestions - unfortuantely still no joy.

Are you running an 8210 on vodafone network yuorself, using google maps and BB maps?

I had read on one of the forums it was possibly to do with the provisioning of the device, however it seems very strange that it should work when I put an O2 simcard in, yet when I switch back to vodafone it doesnt like it.

Have you had to tweak any other settings yourself to get yours working with these applications?

Thanks again for quick response
Old 05-06-2008, 03:46 AM   #14
david_uk

Yes I am using Google Maps etc. but my SIM is provsisioned for BES so the settings and transport are slightly different. You do have a BIS data plan with Voda UK don't you?
Old 05-06-2008, 04:10 AM   #15
andrewburke

David,

Thanks again, yes I have a BIS plan with Vodafone, as far as I am aware anyway, I called them and asked them to provide the facility for unlimited email access, send and recieve and unlimted web browsing on a blackberry They advised that they had put the relevant 'socks' onto the account (in there speak)

I am trying to find a collegue at work who has a vodafone blackberry to try his or her sim chip in my phone, the problem is most people dont have the data plan added to their account unless they have the specific need for it.

I still think it is related to the plan that vodafone have put onto my account, as when I use my O2 business sim chip in the phone it works fine, without needed to change any settings.

From your experience would it or could it be related to specific settings in the vodafone certificates for the blackberry? or is this just a false thought?

The phone is definately sim free and operator free, have checked that, it was bought off line from the carphone warehouse, I know they only sell this phone on Orange or O2 through there stores, but I dont think this should make any difference, have also updated OS to the latest version.

Im a bit stuck.... any other ideas or possible settings from the advance option would be appreciated.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #16
david_uk

If your 8120 is unlocked, you have a BIS plan, and you're able to send/receive email using the BB mail client, there's no reason why you should not be able to use apps like Google Maps - provided you've entered the APN settings as earlier advised.

As a next step I'd advise that you go into the Voda BIS website (where you first started BIS) and get them to resend the Service Books - these are the operator specific settings applicable to your BB.

If still no joy, suggest you call Voda CS and ask to be put through to the BB support team and get them to confirm that your SIM has been properly provisioned. I've found them quite knowledgeable.

And I forgot to ask, are you connecting successfully via WiFi?
Closed Thread