Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Default 30 Day Email Limit

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all you 10.2 users! Does this update address the 30 day email limitation? You may recall my whinging for years about BIS users not having access to subfolders. It seemed my prayers were answered with BB10 and the end of BIS. I do have the subfolder access I wanted, but it's hampered by the 30 day limit.

Does anybody have any insight about this artificial limitation? Heard anything? If BlackBerry has said that's it, it's staying, so be it. But I will say that I've been using a Nokia Lumia 928 (Windows Phone 8) and I do have access to every email I've saved in my subfolders, even back 3 years! So clearly it can be done. WP8 sets the default at 7 days, but you can easily adjust that all the way to "Forever" in sync settings. This should be an easy fix.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: 30 Day Email Limit

I thought that was remedied with 10.1. And indeed I just checked my live.com account and I can and did set it to forever in the advanced settings.

EDIT: That is the sync timeframe setting. And I have messages older than 30 days in Inbox. Don't know about folders, haven't set up any.

Last edited by aiharkness; 08-07-2013 at 04:22 PM..
Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I deleted my iCloud email account and set it up anew. During setup I had the option to sync up to 90 days worth of email. Interestingly, my hotmail account has the option to sync mail "Forever."
Old 08-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I just took the BlackBerry Survey they sent me via email and gave them a good earful about email limits and contacts groups. I just updated to BB10 v. 10.1.0.4189 and nothing has changed in those regards. Anybody on 10.2 see contact groups? The limited email seems to be an issue between Apple and BlackBerry. Gee, Apple not playing well with others?? Who'd have thunk it? /s
Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
ep8703
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I just took the BlackBerry Survey they sent me via email and gave them a good earful about email limits and contacts groups. I just updated to BB10 v. 10.1.0.4189 and nothing has changed in those regards. Anybody on 10.2 see contact groups? The limited email seems to be an issue between Apple and BlackBerry. Gee, Apple not playing well with others?? Who'd have thunk it? /s
I'm on 10.2 is this something you were talking about
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000004.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	19920   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000005.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	19921  
Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I'm talking about organizing my contacts into groups. "Family", "Club Board", "PA Project", etc. If I need to send an email to the board members at my local lake club I used to be able to simply send an email to that group. Now I have to add all the email addresses one by one, from my general contact list. The old way was super efficient.

BlackBerry has groups in BBM. I can see they made a conscious decision to move in a more social direction, but there was no reason I can fathom for abandoning groups in general contacts. Sure, ADD groups at BBM but do not abandon them in a bread-and-butter application like contacts.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

rambo, I asked and was told via Twitter by the BB10 program manager that the Address Book groups is being returned, it is high on their priority. I hope this means SMS groups as well, but I didn't press after getting the response on Address Books.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Huzzah for groups coming back to the contacts app!!

I'm swapping back and forth between a Q10 and Z10 now. One thing I was thrilled to see when I set up the Z10 (OS 10.1.0.4537) is that my iCloud email account is no longer limited to 90 days on email. Just like Hotmail and GMail, I now have the option to sync mail "forever" and I can confirm it works. I looked up an email from 2009 just to confirm. My remaining gripes aside from groups in contacts are so small as not to warrant mentioning.

I'm also thrilled to report that with the OS update on my Q10 and on the current OS version of my Z10, iCloud contacts and calendar all sync wirelessly and instantaneously. We Mac users have long suffered with missing features enjoyed by our pc-using brethren. But one by one these differences have been falling by the wayside. My BB10 devices are very close to syncing as well as my iPhone with iCloud. I don't put music on my phones so that's not something I can comment on.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
ep8703

Quote:

I'm swapping back and forth between a Q10 and Z10 now. One thing I was thrilled to see when I set up the Z10 (OS 10.1.0.4537) is that my iCloud email account is no longer limited to 90 days on email. Just like Hotmail and GMail, I now have the option to sync mail "forever" and I can confirm it works. I looked up an email from 2009 just to confirm. My remaining gripes aside from groups in contacts are so small as not to warrant mentioning.

I'm also thrilled to report that with the OS update on my Q10 and on the current OS version of my Z10, iCloud contacts and calendar all sync wirelessly and instantaneously. We Mac users have long suffered with missing features enjoyed by our pc-using brethren. But one by one these differences have been falling by the wayside. My BB10 devices are very close to syncing as well as my iPhone with iCloud. I don't put music on my phones so that's not something I can comment on.
congratulation.. never give up the fight till the fight is done. are you using your icloud email [email address] and your icloud contacts. and their calender I thought your were using gmail contact and calender
Old 09-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I had begun to migrate my stuff to GMail but the contacts didn't work any better than iCloud. I was about to try Outlook.com as yet another alternative but then the update came and iCloud syncing was working great. My primary email has always been iCloud but I had started to use two GMail accounts more than I used them in the past. I was dreading trying to transition to GMail because I have so many subfolders in my iCloud account with information back to 2007. I'd be starting new with GMail but referring back to my old archives on iCloud all the time. Not a project I was looking forward to. But now there is no need! Huzzah!!
Old 09-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
ep8703

Quote:
I had begun to migrate my stuff to GMail but the contacts didn't work any better than iCloud. I was about to try Outlook.com as yet another alternative but then the update came and iCloud syncing was working great. My primary email has always been iCloud but I had started to use two GMail accounts more than I used them in the past. I was dreading trying to transition to GMail because I have so many subfolders in my iCloud account with information back to 2007. I'd be starting new with GMail but referring back to my old archives on iCloud all the time. Not a project I was looking forward to. But now there is no need! Huzzah!!
I just want to snyc wireless with email and calender I've had g email since it came out ever now and then I get a email from google server saying an email had been stop from going out after so many tries. don't know were that came from. might be time to switch.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

That sounds like a temporary server problem at Google more than an issue with GMail's syncing service. My Google calendars still sync wirelessly and instantaneously with my BlackBerry(s). I never did give a serious try with the contacts sync though.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
ep8703

Quote:
That sounds like a temporary server problem at Google more than an issue with GMail's syncing service. My Google calendars still sync wirelessly and instantaneously with my BlackBerry(s). I never did give a serious try with the contacts sync though.
blackberry link want to default to outlook can this be change to use someone else I'm thinking i would have to delete my gmail and install again to get the option to sync contacts and calender?
Old 09-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

BlackBerry Link is hit-or-miss for me. I never got local sync to work for contacts or calendar. I just ended up using iCloud since that's where I have all my contacts. With BB10 they are definitely pushing everybody towards cloud storage.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

GMail is not letting people use Exchange Active Sync on BB10 unless you have been using it in the past. I was luck as I had it working on my PlaBbook pior, but none of the newer gmail accounts will work so I switched to outlook.com and EAS works nice with them.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
GMail is not letting people use Exchange Active Sync on BB10 unless you have been using it in the past. I was luck as I had it working on my PlaBbook pior, but none of the newer gmail accounts will work so I switched to outlook.com and EAS works nice with them.
Exactly what I did. They cut that in January, and I got caught out when I had to have my Lumia replaced.

BB10 does allow CardDAV and CalDAV for Gmail though, so it's not as unusable as it is on Windows Phone.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

I have my Outlook.com email fetch my gmail, works great and I never miss an email
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #18
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
I have my Outlook.com email fetch my gmail, works great and I never miss an email
I'm having Gmail forward and delete. I'm planning to cancel my Gmail account after another 6 months or so.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:21 AM   #19
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Quote:

This brings up a suppppper suppppper annoying issue I have with contacts.....

I have it set to only promote contacts that are phone/facebook to my phone app, but a subset of these friends have twitter and bbm.

the contacts that have those values are able to be accessed in the phone app, unless they are either in a recent call list or you call them by browsing to the phone directly from the contacts app....

TURBO annoying. The only work around I've found is to push everything(all accounts) to the phone and then aimlessly scroll through my twitter followers or linked contacts that I don't have functional phone information in the first place.....
Old 10-03-2013, 03:23 AM   #20
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaevola View Post
This brings up a suppppper suppppper annoying issue I have with contacts.....

I have it set to only promote contacts that are phone/facebook to my phone app, but a subset of these friends have twitter and bbm.

the contacts that have those values are able to be accessed in the phone app, unless they are either in a recent call list or you call them by browsing to the phone directly from the contacts app....

TURBO annoying. The only work around I've found is to push everything(all accounts) to the phone and then aimlessly scroll through my twitter followers or linked contacts that I don't have functional phone information in the first place.....
Next to the whole swap battery (3 minutes off) and 3-5 minutes before my hub starts populating my phone starts replacing numbers with contact names this is by far MY BIGGEST peeve

/rant off

(and yes I'm running 10.2 which is better but that ain't say "lots")
Closed Thread