BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #81
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Voice quality is excellent, my 8700 is on cingular. The Voice quality on my 8700 is horriffic, which is why i carry a verizon razr. iwas going to try and solve that problem with the Q but no dice for me. I have had many devices, 700w, htc's all weak for data isues. the Q is cool just very sluggish in performance and needs too many clicks and pushes to get things accomplished.....
Old 06-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #82
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior1790
Voice quality is excellent, my 8700 is on cingular. The Voice quality on my 8700 is horriffic, which is why i carry a verizon razr. iwas going to try and solve that problem with the Q but no dice for me. I have had many devices, 700w, htc's all weak for data isues. the Q is cool just very sluggish in performance and needs too many clicks and pushes to get things accomplished.....
Thanks for the feedback. Quite a lot of people I personally know with BBs complain about voice quality, and many carry a separate cellphone like you do. However, quite a few people on this forum swear that their BBs are great for voice - maybe those folks are on VZW, but I find it hard to believe that BBs on GSM are "great" for voice quality. Maybe these people only use them under ideal conditions, or maybe they have never used a really great voice cellphone? Or maybe they are so enamored with the admittedly terrific data quality of the BB, they are willing to forgive its voice weakness? In any case, it's refreshing to see that you notice a distinct difference in voice quality between the 8700 and the Q (admittedly this is not apples-to-apples since these are on different networks).

Since my cellphone is my only phone (and I have no intention of carrying 2 devices!), voice is my first priority, and data is second, so it sounds like the Q might be a better device for me than my 7100t.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:51 PM   #83
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

If It's a "voice first" issue for you and you are used to more than just a regular flip phone, which you are if you have a 7100 series, then the Q may not be a bad idea for you. If you go over to qusers.com you will probably find some helpful info there, just keep in mind that it's such a new device and those people there have been salivationg for them for almost a year, they are a little biased....
Old 06-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #84
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior1790
If It's a "voice first" issue for you and you are used to more than just a regular flip phone, which you are if you have a 7100 series, then the Q may not be a bad idea for you. If you go over to qusers.com you will probably find some helpful info there, just keep in mind that it's such a new device and those people there have been salivationg for them for almost a year, they are a little biased....
My 7130e on Verizon has better voice quality than the LG and V710 I had. I guess its the network.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:27 PM   #85
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon

I have used BBs for phone and data for a few years now. It seems silly to gripe about poor phone quality from several generations ago while RIM has improved dramatically since. If you like the data side of BB, but are frustrated by the phone quality, maybe you should upgrade to a later model BB. If you get the right BT and OS upgrade, it works fine as a phone. Most of my problems come from cell to cell calls to people who aren't on BBs. For the last few days I've been carrying around my daughters Samsung cell (no data) and I expected to see better reception, volume, stability, etc. than on my BB, but the opposite is true.

Like everyone else, I begin to feel the Christmas noose begin to tighten on the eve of each new "Blackberry Killer" launch, and for a day or two, reading gushing reviews from enthusiasts, I briefly waiver in my loyalty to my BB. But then the small but-fors in the reviews start to pile up, and then you see the thing in actual operation and you realize that it ain't just RIM getting a head-start, its a design advantage that makes BB a lifestyle.

The Q seems to require too many scrolls and too many damn pull-downs. That D/track-pad sort of thing is not something you can do well, at that miniaturized size, on the move and under pressure. Is there anything more maddening than missing your pull-down by one, time-after-time? But I like pretty pictures and sounds, and I have passing regret now and then that we sacrifice media capability for stability and security. I can and do play music on my pc, and it would be nice to have that on my BB as a sort of chocolate-dipped cherry on the sundae. Even RIM is antsy about Q as I read an interview of a RIM exec the other day who was unusually forthcoming about the already built in but currently disabled audio and video codecs, just waiting there to be hatched at the next OS, should the Q catch on.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #86
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcpher
It seems silly to gripe about poor phone quality from several generations ago while RIM has improved dramatically since. If you like the data side of BB, but are frustrated by the phone quality, maybe you should upgrade to a later model BB.
Ummm, a later model than the 7100t that's in my sig (which I got last year)?

Last edited by serpico; 06-02-2006 at 06:06 PM..
Old 06-02-2006, 07:34 PM   #87
whsbuss

Model: 9800

mmchper,

How about posting the link to the RIM exec interview. I'd like to read it.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:00 AM   #88
smassey321
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300

I got a Q yesterday and hate it. The battery lasted 13 hours where as my 8700 still shows 4 bars (both are getting my email). It can take 5 seconds to wake up when you turn the wheel. It does not go to sleep when you put it in the leather case (accessory) so you must manually lock and unlock. And no . @ or : when typing email addresses and web URLs. It does not have Outlook "notes".

I do like the Communicator Mobile because I can be logged on at the PC and phone. It can also set a Communicator Note. Hopefully BB will eventually get that.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:38 AM   #89
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321
I got a Q yesterday and hate it. The battery lasted 13 hours where as my 8700 still shows 4 bars (both are getting my email). It can take 5 seconds to wake up when you turn the wheel. It does not go to sleep when you put it in the leather case (accessory) so you must manually lock and unlock. And no . @ or : when typing email addresses and web URLs. It does not have Outlook "notes".
Qusers.com posts also point out lots of irritating little issues you'd think MOT and VZW would have ironed out in the year between announcement and release, not to mention that they have the BB as an example of features to replicate. Perhaps some of these will be resolved with first software upgrade.

How does voice quality compare to your 8700? Which network is your 8700 on?
Old 06-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #90
jschofield

Model: 8700c
Default Basic features.....

I hear / read somewhere that the Q is lacking the ability to CUT and PASTE. Is this true? Could something so simple be over looked? Sure it can be remedied with the first software update, but thats a big strike at the moment.

The grass isn't always greener.......

jschofield

Last edited by jschofield; 06-03-2006 at 11:20 AM..
Old 06-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #91
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschofield
I hear / read somewhere that the Q is lacking the ability to CUT and PASTE. Is this true? Could something so simple be over looked? Sure it can be remedied with the first software updated, but thats a big strike at the moment.

The grass isn't always greener.......

jschofield
Shocking, isn't it? And yes, it is 2006. Apparently this is a limitation on the current version of the Smartphone edition of Windows Mobile. One can only hope that MS upgrades the OS to be able to handle this. The irony is that many of the shortcomings of Windows Mobile stem from it being too pc-like for a phone (as compared to BB's very simple and easy to use OS), yet it cannot do the most basic of functions like cut & paste.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:16 PM   #92
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

This is out the article in the link that I posted a couple days ago from cnn:

"The Q improves on that experience, but like the other smartphones, lacks a basic text-editing feature: cut and paste. It's a strange omission that for me severely limits the usefulness of the Q as an e-mail device. The BlackBerry, which has a similar button layout, does cut and paste."
Old 06-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #93
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour

I am getting a Q so i can stream my sling box to it
Old 06-03-2006, 09:13 PM   #94
smassey321

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico

How does voice quality compare to your 8700? Which network is your 8700 on?
On my end calls sound the same. On the other end the person I called said the Q sounded slightly better. The 8700 (w/ Telstra) is on Cingular blue. They say BT headset is slightly louder and clearer on the Q but I have not tested.

Oh and one more deal breaker, only the root contacts folder syncs. We were out tonight and could not call someone who was in an Outlook sub folder. So i then try to load Outlook Web (to get the #) on the Q and it can't load frames!!!! GRRRRRR.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:16 AM   #95
Srini

Model: 7100g

Is there a GSM version coming for the Q?
Old 06-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #96
hnsimpson

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it

I have had my 'Q' for 2 days now. I ordered it the night it came out. My Blackberry is a 7100T that I have used for over 1 year.

The Q is not close to being equivalent to the Blackberry in any way. I waited to form an opinion on this, hoping to get through the initial phases of phone ownership. (anticipation, euphoria, confusion, revelation, acceptance)

With my Blackberry (the 7100 was my first) I was blown away at the design of th OS. The SIMPLE yet effective use of minimal input to achieve predictable results is indicative of a design team that knows what its end-users need and want.

First and foremost the Q is designed to be a really 'cool' looking device. When Motorola designed the Razr line it made conscious decisions to provide form over function. It is sucessful in this, however the OS that they have put into to the Q is lacking. Do a quick search over at qusers.com and you can get a full list.

I am going to keep the Q for now. Not because it is a superior device to my Blackberry, but because of the Verizon network. My wife and extended family, as well as most of my friends are in-network. Plus, I have a new son and have enjoyed the camera.

-Simpson

P.S. I am sure I will be coming back to Blackberry. Probably when they get a camera, or when I get so pissed at Windows Mobile that I have to replace it.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:07 AM   #97
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsimpson
I have had my 'Q' for 2 days now. I ordered it the night it came out. My Blackberry is a 7100T that I have used for over 1 year.
Thanks for the feedback. Not surprising to hear that MS did not even come close to matching the BB OS in terms of simplicity and efficiency. After all, these are not traits we've come to expect from any MS product.

How does voice on Q/VZW compare to 7100/TMO, particularly on your caller's end?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #98
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico
Ummm, a later model than the 7100t that's in my sig (which I got last year)?
Most people tend to compare 7230/80's with brand new phones like the RAZR, so that's possibly where that comment came from. Most people don't realize just how fast technology changes in the cell phone world...a phone that is released this month can be, but shouldn't be compared with a phone that is released next month as far as technology is concerned.

That being said, the 7100 is almost 2 years old...the 7105 improves on phone quality, and the 8700 improves it even more.

I've used all three on Rogers (way up here in Canadia) without bluetooth headsets, and have found noticable improvements on all three.

So there's my $0.02CDN worth for you.

Zro
Old 06-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #99
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zro
Most people tend to compare 7230/80's with brand new phones like the RAZR, so that's possibly where that comment came from. Most people don't realize just how fast technology changes in the cell phone world...a phone that is released this month can be, but shouldn't be compared with a phone that is released next month as far as technology is concerned.

That being said, the 7100 is almost 2 years old...the 7105 improves on phone quality, and the 8700 improves it even more.

I've used all three on Rogers (way up here in Canadia) without bluetooth headsets, and have found noticable improvements on all three.

So there's my $0.02CDN worth for you.

Zro
Appreciate your $0.02CDN, especially since it's worth a lot more today than it was a few years ago.
Yes, technology changes quickly in this area, but surprisingly, comparing my 7100 to my 8-yr old Startac on voice would be very unfavorable for the 7100 (of course this also incorporates any GSM (7100) vs CDMA differential (Startac)).
Old 06-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #100
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon

I can't find the exact article, but here is another along those lines. Nothing we didn't know already, but RIM seems to be less coy about it then previously. IIRC, the article I mentioned had some characterization by the reporter of RIM's near-term intentions that didn't quite match the quotes:

Technology News xxx187;

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 30 May 2006 1221 hrs

Wheels in motion to bake multimedia features into Blackberry devices
By Trevor Tan, TODAY

Mobile professionals who choose to use a BlackBerry handset for the fabulous convenience of its push-email service probably look in envy to the person next door wielding a mobile phone packed with an arsenal of multimedia features. But fret not. Research in Motion (RIM), the company behind BlackBerry devices and services, has good news for you.

In an interview with TODAY at the Wireless Enterprise Symposium 2006 in Florida, RIM's president and co-chief executive officer, Mr Mike Lazaridis, revealed that multimedia features would be incorporated into future BlackBerry handsets.

Some of these features will include expandable memory, WiFi and global positioning system capabilities. There could even be a BlackBerry with a built-in camera. Future models will also come in more compact designs.

"We have been watching users getting rid of their cell phones and using the BlackBerry for everything. So, we now have to give them some features that they might have given up when they got rid of their cell phones," said Mr Lazaridis, 45. However, he did not give any timelines as to when these handsets would be available.

Some multimedia features, such as audio and video codecs, are already available in Intel-based BlackBerry handsets (the 8700 series). Mr Lazaridis said that RIM "never enabled" them so as to ensure the high level of "reliability and stability" demanded by their enterprise customers.

When RIM releases BlackBerry software version 4.2, it will enable these latent features in "new handsets and it will be backward-compatible with all its Intel-based products", said Mr Lazaridis.

Despite facing competition from other vendors who offer push-email services, Mr Lazaridis is adamant that RIM is in the lead. "Hype is not matching reality," he said.

He cited statistics from Gartner that re-affirmed RIM as the personal digital assistant market leader (in terms of unit shipments) in the first quarter of the year, with a market share of 25.5 per cent. In second place was Palm (12.6 per cent), while HP stood at third place with 11.5 per cent.

BlackBerry's robust security system is a key factor that separates the device from other competitors, he added.

"Security was designed from the very beginning when we wrote the operating system," Mr Lazaridis said. Because of that, RIM could "secure your network and your data, in flight and hand-held" like no other vendor could.

In regards to the regional market, Mr Norm Lo, RIM's Asia-Pacific vice-president, said that RIM sees huge opportunity and potential in the region xxx8212; not only in terms of population but also because of the high penetration of mobile wireless communication that is in place.

"We are doing very well in Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia and India," Mr Lo, 43, said.

But RIM is not resting on its laurels. It is focused on growing the Asia-Pacific market in terms of adding new carriers, working with new partners in launching products and solutions and entering new markets such as South Korea and Japan.

"We are going to add more than 10 more carriers in the Asia-Pacific this year," Mr Lo said, adding that RIM is "working closely with partners right now with testing and trials being conducted in various countries in the Asia-Pacific". - TODAY/fa

Copyright xxx169; 2006 MCN International Pte Ltd
Closed Thread