BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
bbTodd

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default Great, very cheap bluetooth headset

Please Login to Remove!

I don't normally post unsolicited praise for products in forums, but can't help it with this. If you're looking for a very cheap but good bluetooth headset, check out the Cardo Scala-500. I've been using it for 3 weeks with my 7290 and it works great. Here are pros and cons:

Pros:
* Did I say cheap? At $39 over the net (with free shipping), you can't beat the price.
* Great sound both incoming (loud and clear) and outbound (everyone says I sound good, but they can tell I'm on a headset.
* Reliable -- pairs well with 7290 and, once added as a trusted device, never need to confirm the pairing or anything.

Cons:
* The charger cradle works kind of flaky. I push the headset on it and the recharge light on the earpiece seems intermittant, like it's sometimes charging and sometimes not. I can't tell if it's seating properly or not.
* it's not the coolest looking headset on the planet. Looks like something from Star Trek (the original series, not Next Gen ). Very bright, blinking blue LED, too. (Might be good for nighttime jogging!)
* Fit is decent, but feels a little loose. I don't think it's nearly as snug as the wrap-over-the-earlobe types, which also look better.

I have a friend using a much more expensive Motorola headset with his 7290 and is constantly having problems. Mine has been flawless -- very, very happy.

I ordered it from eCost and got free shipping, so it was exactly $39.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/...sp?dpno=511668
Old 03-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
Vega

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Cardo 500

Because of the previous post (and $40 I had in Amazon.com certs) I purchased the Scala 500 BT hands-free from Cardo. I'm using it with TMo's 7100.
-First, you cannot beat the price, Amazon.com had the device for $48, however outside sellers (ON AMAZON) had it for $38 just as posted.
-Secondly, the headset doesn't look TOO bad. I do ICM call routing for TMO and we're basically considered the geek squad. Everyone has BT hands free and they ALL wear them. This one fits right in.
-Thirdly, I've experienced a little 'tunnel sounding' performance, but only when calling my voicemail. Dunno, Don't ask.
-Also (fourthly didn't sound right), The fact that almost every feature is available: Mute, Answer, End, Redial etc. (Right from the headset). I'm very pleased.
-As well, I've experienced no issues thus far with the charging cradle

I've not used this device for very long so I cannot testify to it's stamina, but this device does work, no issues and good performance.

A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer
Old 03-16-2005, 05:21 PM   #3
ToddziLLa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Interesting. Thanks for the post fellas.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
chuy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Cool

Yeah - definitely interesting. I've been running into some troubles with my Jabra BT250... May have to give this one a run. Thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
nemo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

I purchased the Scala 500 to use with my Nextel 7520 on Monday and recieved it today. I was basically looking for the cheapest BT headset that I could buy that would be functional as I am not a heavy user of the phone (I use it more for email) but talking into the thing is like talking into a shoe.

I did as much research as I could on-line and it came down to a choice between the Scala and the Logitech Mobile Freedom. I chose the Scala. It set up easily and functions great. Everyone I have talked to says it sounds just like I am using the phone normally. There's no echoing, but it does sound a little different than when you use the phone itself. Not bad, just different and I suppose that's normal with BT headsets, but I've never used one before.

It is comfortable, but the fit is a little loose. It's fine when your head is upright, but if you tilt your head to the side you're wearing it on it seems like it could fall off. Hopefully it won't, but if it does it still only cost $38.99!

Granted, I've only used it for one day but so far I'm very satisfied with it. The wind guard thing is good for me and it has lots of extras. It just seems to be a really good value.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
pearls

Default Scala

I purchased the Scala after reading the first few reviews. Got it from eCost for $38. Great, simple headset. It works. I had the Jabra BT200 for my other phone. It would drop calls and disconnect randomly. The Scala is solid. I even took it when I went biking. No issues. Definitely recommended.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:46 PM   #7
dandmbb

I bought one since the reviews said it was louder than most other headsets. It was a little bit louder, but the sound quality is not that good and the microphone quality is apparently awful, according to parties to whom I'm speaking. It also is too loose over my ear and tends to flop around.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:32 AM   #8
TRILIGHT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearls
I purchased the Scala after reading the first few reviews. Got it from eCost for $38. Great, simple headset. It works. I had the Jabra BT200 for my other phone. It would drop calls and disconnect randomly. The Scala is solid. I even took it when I went biking. No issues. Definitely recommended.
Are you serious? That Scala thing looks like some sort of damn headgear for braces! Geeze! As for the Jabra, I can't speak about the 200 but I have the 250 and it has not given me the slightest problem. You mentioned that you had the 200 for your "other phone" so maybe your other phone was the real problem?? Anyway, I like the belt clip that doubles as a charger for the Jabra. The sleek design is comfortable, doesn't move around, and doesn't make me look like I have a growth on the side of my head.

@dandmbb: Don't believe all this stuff about the Jabra. The BT250's microphone is so good in fact that I can talk while driving with my window down and no one ever has a problem hearing me. I couldn't believe it at first until I called myself at another number and left myself a message while driving with the window down. You could hear traffic and a little bit of wind noise but it all sounded far off in the background. My voice was crystal clear.

Last edited by TRILIGHT; 04-16-2005 at 01:35 AM..
Old 04-17-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
njrick

Model: 8703
Carrier: verizon

Just another opinion:

Using the Scala on 7250 Verizon, everyone complained about static and unclear reception. I did the test Barjohn recommends and called my home voice mail, almost unintelligble!

Motorola HS820 was just as bad. Plantronics M3000 had great sound but couldnt stand the pain on my ear.

Latest is the Logitech Mobile Freedom, about same price as Scala. Greatest sound quality somewhere in between as to comfort. The Scala and Motorola are best comfort and Plantronics is terrible.

I am still about to try the Jabra, although I didnt want an in the ear type, the on the ear ones seem best.

Not sure how much of this variety is due to specific phone / network but different strokes fer different folks

Rick
Old 04-30-2005, 02:31 PM   #10
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbTodd
I don't normally post unsolicited praise for products in forums, but can't help it with this. If you're looking for a very cheap but good bluetooth headset, check out the Cardo Scala-500. I've been using it for 3 weeks with my 7290 and it works great. Here are pros and cons:

Pros:
* Did I say cheap? At $39 over the net (with free shipping), you can't beat the price.
* Great sound both incoming (loud and clear) and outbound (everyone says I sound good, but they can tell I'm on a headset.
* Reliable -- pairs well with 7290 and, once added as a trusted device, never need to confirm the pairing or anything.

Cons:
* The charger cradle works kind of flaky. I push the headset on it and the recharge light on the earpiece seems intermittant, like it's sometimes charging and sometimes not. I can't tell if it's seating properly or not.
* it's not the coolest looking headset on the planet. Looks like something from Star Trek (the original series, not Next Gen ). Very bright, blinking blue LED, too. (Might be good for nighttime jogging!)
* Fit is decent, but feels a little loose. I don't think it's nearly as snug as the wrap-over-the-earlobe types, which also look better.

I have a friend using a much more expensive Motorola headset with his 7290 and is constantly having problems. Mine has been flawless -- very, very happy.

I ordered it from eCost and got free shipping, so it was exactly $39.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/...sp?dpno=511668
Thanks for the review I just ordered it from ecost for 37. free shipping will post my review also when I get it
Old 05-05-2005, 12:26 PM   #11
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Well I got my scala 500 in the mail on wed charged it up put it into use today! So far I love this thing man. Works Flawless. Best part is it works with Nextel DC. Sound is the greatest very light weight, fits comfortably on my Fat head. Have worn on the job site all day and forgot its there. So far no issue for me at all was easy to pair up.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:06 PM   #12
dozment
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c

Cingular has a sale on Bluetooth! I bought a Motorola HS801 today for $29.99 after the $20 rebate. The HS820 is $59.99 after rebate. I believe the sale includes all of the brands that Cingular carries.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:38 PM   #13
mdprotector

Model: 7520

Dawg, J

Just curious, what do you mean it works with DC, no luck with that!
Old 05-20-2005, 06:55 PM   #14
Dawg
No longer Registered.

you still have to press dc button on phone
Old 05-20-2005, 09:45 PM   #15
mdprotector

In my case, I have a motorola 820 and the scala and so far the Scala has proven to be superior with my BB7520. Volume is the main difference, the Scala is much louder to callers on the other end. As far as the earpiece volume, the Scala is just a bit louder. Just my 2c
Old 05-21-2005, 12:38 PM   #16
IC2

Model: 7250
Carrier: Nextel
Default gave it 3 days

purchased the scala 500 for use on the nextel 7520. when i first used it, it seemed to work fine. after 3 days the parties on the other end say they can't hear me to well. i thought it maybe in need of charging but after a full charge nothing changed. anyone have any ideas. i assume there is no way to turn up mic volume.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #17
Dawg
No longer Registered.

I have been using mine for weeks now and no issues
Old 05-22-2005, 09:46 PM   #18
mdprotector

No problems with mine either on my 7520
Old 05-28-2006, 10:36 PM   #19
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: TMO

Just picked up a Cardo Scala 500 at CompUSA for $10 (after rebate) for use with my 7100t. I used the headset out in the park on a crowded day - my callers could hear me clearly, but also heard lots of background noise. Also tried at home with windows open (in Manhattan); again callers detected quite a bit of background noise. I haven't researched the product much, but I'm willing to bet it does not have noise cancelling, which wouldn't be too surprising given the price. I could hear my callers clearly, but had to crank up the volume a bit, though not to full blast.

For $10, this is a bargain, and worth keeping for in-home use, but I'll be on the lookout for a bluetooth headset that is more practical for use in moderately noisy environments. Perhaps the Plantronics Discovery 645 . . .

Last edited by serpico; 05-28-2006 at 10:43 PM..
Old 05-29-2006, 08:27 PM   #20
ROBBYROB

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobil

This is a good one seems to be. I just ordered so ill report back!

8520 - 2009

Back on the blackberry train!!
Closed Thread