Old 05-24-2006, 11:53 PM   #41
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: TMO

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
<snip>voice quality on Q is incredible, people think im talking from a landline, quality is a little better than blackberry, can't say 100% if its the network (T-Mobile vs. Verzion) or phone
WARNING - RANT BELOW
I've noticed about quite a lot of BB users (BoyGenius being the latest example that I've seen) carry more than one device, the second device being their primary device for phone calls. Now I'm sure that makes sense for many BB users, some of whom carry their BB for work, but like having a personal cellphone But for those of us who wish to carry one device and are not restricted to Blackberries for work-related reasons, IMHO the Blackberry is a mediocre device.

Now before I get flamed by those using BBs as their one and only smartphone (voice, pda, email), let me say the following (needless to say, these are only my opinions):
1. The BB is the best data/email device on the market b/c of its push email and OS stability.
2. BBs tend to be poor phones, the 7100 series being the prime example. I have been using the 7100t for almost 1yr now, and am disgusted at how poor the phone quality is on this thing - this is the 21st century fer cryin out loud!
3. For those carrying only 1 smartphone device, unless push email is critical, phone quality is more important than the particulars of how the data and email features are implemented. After all, I'd rather put up with 2-handed operation (over the beloved thumbwheel) than have my callers constantly complain about the poor sound quality, unless I'm in a very quiet room.

Unless I hear of marked improvement in voice quality in the newer BBs (7130, 8700, etc.) that make them comparable to the voice quality Motorola had in phones 8 years ago (ah, my old Startac, how I miss thee), I am switching when my contract is up. Not sure what I'm switching to yet, but I'm switching!

The most promising device for my needs appears to be the Q (my earlier thread re: my ideal phone's features: http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=33858). The Q is being marketed as a "phone first" device:

From press release by VZW and MOT (http://news.vzw.com/news/2006/05/pr2006-05-22c.html):
Phone First
The Moto Q xxx8211; coupled with the nationxxx8217;s most reliable wireless network from Verizon Wireless xxx8211; delivers what Verizon Wireless customers want most: an exceptional device for making voice calls. Plus, the Moto Q provides the advanced phone capabilities expected in an industry-leading phone, such as voice-activated dialing, smart contacts dialing, speakerphone, Bluetooth capabilities for certain profiles and more.

Motorola recognizes that it's not going to convert large corporations from BB to the Q anytime soon, so they're going after the consumer market, and I think the "phone first" approach is a smart move, attacking the BB's Achilles heel, especially as it relates to users who want only one device and are not restricted to BBs by corporate policy.

OK, done venting for now. Bring on the flames while I wait for Motorola to release a GSM version of the Q.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:19 AM   #42
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

No flame here. FWIW, The voice quality on my 8700c is probably the best of any recent phone I've owned. And I've never used a speakerphone on a phone that's had it before...until now. The speakerphone on this thing is amazing.

I've heard of issues with the 7100t, which I believe have been fixed with the 7105t, 7100g, and 7130. Can't say for sure, though, as I've never owned a SureType BB.

It's kinda weird to be holding basically a calculator up to my ear (assuming I'm not using my Bluetooth), but phone quality is NOT an issue for me on this new toy. I had a RAZR most recently, and while I got no complaints on the other end, I HATED that phone on my end. Couldn't hear the dang thing.

Lovin' the 8700. I'll probably play with a Q when the GSM version comes out, but it's going to take quite a bit to not make me a BB die-hard.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:10 AM   #43
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

Never had a problem with my 2 7100t's as phones. Quality was great. What sucked was the BT headset I used them with.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:48 AM   #44
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaJ1074
Never had a problem with my 2 7100t's as phones. Quality was great. What sucked was the BT headset I used them with.
The voice problems with the 7100t are quite widely noted in this forum. Since these things are necessarily subjective (unless we bring out the sound meters), I accept your assertion that the 7100t worked well for you.

As for the 8700, here's an excerpt from the PCMag review (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1880153,00.asp):
We were glad to see that the phone is quad-band, which gives the best possible international roaming experience. But BlackBerrys have generally been mediocre phones, and the 8700c is no exception. Its earpiece is loud and the speakerphone very loud, but the built-in microphone is poor at canceling background noise and we experienced several audio dropouts and fluctuations during test calls despite the BlackBerry's interface reporting full signal strength.

PCMag also just reviewed the Q (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1967190,00.asp), paragraph on voice excerpted:
For voice quality, the Q is the best Verizon smartphone I've tested. Its reception comes close to the excellent RAZR V3c and Motorola E815. Sound through the earpiece, speakerphone, and Bluetooth headsets is unusually loud and clear; transmission is nearly flawless. VoiceSignal's voice-dialing application, which works over Bluetooth headsets, is terrific. This is an excellent phone, plain and simple. Battery life, at 5 hours 25 minutes of continuous talk time, is good, on a par with that of the Palm Treo 700p.

Last edited by serpico; 05-25-2006 at 07:59 AM..
Old 05-25-2006, 07:59 AM   #45
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

well i dont like talking into a calculator anyway....lmao i have always carryed 2 devices.... i think its silly to have to wait for an email to go out or come in because your on the phone... so i carry a nextel 870i and a bb 7290.. look @ emails & spreadsheets while talking about them on the phone...i think all in ones are silly.. IMO

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 05-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #46
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks Genius, looks like i'm jumping for the Q, as least temporarily. Had to try with the V3M. For Pure Curiosity reasons what is that you do? You always have a big jump on the rest of the gadget public, i was under the impression that you located these pre-release devices for the high profile, cant live without the latest hottness. Just curious and thanks for all the up to date scoop.....
Old 05-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #47
berry_apps
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico
As for the 8700, here's an excerpt from the PCMag review ([url
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1880153,00.asp[/url]):
We were glad to see that the phone is quad-band, which gives the best possible international roaming experience. But BlackBerrys have generally been mediocre phones, and the 8700c is no exception. Its earpiece is loud and the speakerphone very loud, but the built-in microphone is poor at canceling background noise and we experienced several audio dropouts and fluctuations during test calls despite the BlackBerry's interface reporting full signal strength.

PCMag also just reviewed the Q (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1967190,00.asp), paragraph on voice excerpted:
For voice quality, the Q is the best Verizon smartphone I've tested. Its reception comes close to the excellent RAZR V3c and Motorola E815. Sound through the earpiece, speakerphone, and Bluetooth headsets is unusually loud and clear; transmission is nearly flawless. VoiceSignal's voice-dialing application, which works over Bluetooth headsets, is terrific. This is an excellent phone, plain and simple. Battery life, at 5 hours 25 minutes of continuous talk time, is good, on a par with that of the Palm Treo 700p.

I'm not flamin' or going to rebut the claims from the magizines, but I will say that you not comparing apples to apples here.

The Q runings on Verizon's network which is CDMA which tends to be better known for it's voice quality then GSM networks.

The real comparison will be what does a GSM Q perform like on T-Mobile or Cingulars network.

So before rushing out and buying that Q to only have a year of misery I'd wait for voice quality reviews! ;) Just my 2 cents on the matter....
Old 05-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #48
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry_apps
I'm not flamin' or going to rebut the claims from the magizines, but I will say that you not comparing apples to apples here.

The Q runings on Verizon's network which is CDMA which tends to be better known for it's voice quality then GSM networks.

The real comparison will be what does a GSM Q perform like on T-Mobile or Cingulars network.

So before rushing out and buying that Q to only have a year of misery I'd wait for voice quality reviews! ;) Just my 2 cents on the matter....
Absolutely agree with you on the ideal comparison. I plan to wait for feedback on GSM Qs, assuming TMO or Cingular releases one at some point.

BoyGenius, any thoughts on whether/when we see a GSM Q? Presumably VZW has some exclusivity period?

Last edited by serpico; 05-25-2006 at 02:14 PM..
Old 05-25-2006, 11:07 PM   #49
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF

Verizon has a 6-month exclusive, and while I do locate pre-production phones etc for clients of mine, they are never bought. They are all known about from the company. Basically if you buy a pre-production phone it is the manufacturers property and can get in some pretty serious trouble, even more so if you are the seller. Should have a sidekick 3 soon, will post a quick review

The Boy Genius Report
Old 05-26-2006, 05:59 PM   #50
paulmac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Storm
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

Q Review (gee I am a poet) anyway, check out this review. The author likes it but says the device freezes on average about twice a day. Let me run right out and buy one, Not!!

http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/fu...FREE&cm_ite=NA
Old 05-26-2006, 06:42 PM   #51
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmac
Q Review (gee I am a poet) anyway, check out this review. The author likes it but says the device freezes on average about twice a day. Let me run right out and buy one, Not!!

http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/fu...FREE&cm_ite=NA
Most important part of review for me:
"The speakers provide ample stereo sound, and calls were crystal clear."
For those who need the device to be "data first", anything running the current version of Windows Mobile is probably not going to outperform a BB. But for those like me, who need their cellphone, to be first and foremost an excellent phone (especially when you don't have a landline), and a PDA/email device second, the Q is looking like a real contender.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:30 PM   #52
FlyingElvis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico
Most important part of review for me:
"The speakers provide ample stereo sound, and calls were crystal clear."
For those who need the device to be "data first", anything running the current version of Windows Mobile is probably not going to outperform a BB. But for those like me, who need their cellphone, to be first and foremost an excellent phone (especially when you don't have a landline), and a PDA/email device second, the Q is looking like a real contender.
Depends on what BB you are talking about. My 7130e is as good of a phone as I have ever had. And I've had a few from Moto, LG, Samsung etc.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:15 PM   #53
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Hopefully when the Q is out a few weeks, we can get a better comparison. It looks like a great device but even when they upgrade the ROM for AKU2, it won't have the email finctionality the BB has. AutoFormat, AutoText is one of the BB's strong points.

I'll definately check one out when they arrive in stores.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:22 PM   #54
whsbuss

Default Question

Does anyone know if the Outlook in WM5 supports IMAP-IDLE? That would keep down the email polls and save the battery.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:47 AM   #55
kb9liq
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130

Verizon has the Q on the website saying it will be out soon.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:37 PM   #56
dolo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon, Cingular
Default Comparison Pics :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
Verizon has a 6-month exclusive, and while I do locate pre-production phones etc for clients of mine, they are never bought. They are all known about from the company. Basically if you buy a pre-production phone it is the manufacturers property and can get in some pretty serious trouble, even more so if you are the seller. Should have a sidekick 3 soon, will post a quick review
BG,

As you have always done, please be so gracious to include some comparison pics (for size purposes) in regards to the SK3, Q, Treo 6xx/7xx, and bb8700.

Hope all is well everyone.

Regards,
dolo
Old 05-31-2006, 02:23 PM   #57
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

The gloves go on today, The now infamous Q has arrived!!!!!
Old 05-31-2006, 03:14 PM   #58
hnsimpson

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrowie
oh dang.... i totally forgot. its only on verizon isnt it? im moving to sprint soon. anyone know if its coming out on sprint soon? or... could i get it unlocked?
Check:
http://www.qusers.com/forum/viewtopi...ghlight=sprint

There may be other posts, but this was a cursory search of their forum.

-simpson
Old 05-31-2006, 05:04 PM   #59
whsbuss

One of the posts at Qusers.com mentioned having over 100 emails in his mailbox and couldn't delete more then one at a time. Can you imaging the OS not having a way to select mutiple messages for deletion? WOW!
Old 05-31-2006, 05:19 PM   #60
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

This is kinda cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASjhP1irDP4
Closed Thread