plainman007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Want to buy a new BB fone, Maybe 8300, need some help

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

Im considering buying a new BB 8300 series. I wanted to ask some simple questions about the fone.

1. Can i search for multiple keywords using the inbuilt search function ? Eg, searching for "Nic York" will return the record having Nicholas in the name field and New York in the address field or notes field of that contact ?
2. Is there a call/voice record feature where we can take voice memo notes or record all Phone conversations to the external memory card ?
3. Does it sync the changes you make to Excel files so that the changes reflect on the same file stored on your laptop too ?
4. Where do i see all my data ? Outlook express ? Or is there a Seperate desktop manager program where you can see and manage all your data ?
5. Can you make sensitive records private so that entering a master password only will allow you to see those records ? (And even searching for those records will not reveal them unless the phone is in security unlocked mode) ?

If the answer is NO to any of the above ...is it possible using a Third Party software ?

Thanks a lot folks....Look forward to hearing from you

Last edited by plainman007; 02-28-2010 at 09:34 AM..
Old 02-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

1. On BlackBerrys running OS 5, yes.
2. You can make voicenotes, you can't record phone conversations from within the device.
3. IF you perform a folder sync to your laptop, yes. Use something like SyncToy for that.
4. What data do you want to see? Contacts, Memos, Calendar and Tasks will sync to your Outlook if you choose to do that, and you can view and edit your data there.
5. You will need to set a device password, and without the password NOTHING will be visible on the device. Nothing.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
plainman007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi Sanders,

Thanks for the immediate reply.

I didnt understand folder sync. I store all my excel files in different areas/folder directories on my laptop. In documents to go (when used with my old palm treo) and such other software if u dragged and added these excel files to the Docs to go window. They wud get sync'd to the handheld. But each and every file is linked to its original file no matter where each one is located on the laptop. And yet if u edit the excel file on the phone then it reflects the changes in the original too (after sync). But based on what you said about the BB i think you need to have all the excel files you want to sync in a seperate folder on the laptop ? Or am i understanding wrong ?

Secondly, I dont want to use outlook express. I would like a seperate desktop manager, lkike how palm gives you a desktop manager which you open to see all your data in their relevant categories etc. Also because i feel this is more secure as the palm desktop manager doesnt open unless you give your main phone password. Even the phone could be set to ask for a password before anyone can use it.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

For normal users, I don't think there are too many options for desktop managers. Outlook is the most popular one and covers contacts, notes, calendar, and to do lists. If you go for something like Google Sync, it only works with contacts and calendar I believe.

I also liked Palm's desktop manager. I found it to be really user-friendly and easy to use. Unfortunately, it's proprietary for Palm, so it cannot be used along with a BlackBerry. But if you do use Outlook, know that you can arrange your information into relevant categories (of your choosing) as well.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #5
plainman007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi,

But one more thing is the data isnt secure in outlook express as it is in palm desktop right. I mean palm dt asks you for your fone paswd before it opens and shows you your data. But Outlook, anyone can just open it if im right ? Or does it also have some security feature ?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 01:51 AM   #6
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

There is no way to password protect Outlook currently.

Last edited by Trimix; 03-01-2010 at 01:52 AM..
Old 03-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
plainman007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok since outlook cannot have password protection im surprised, what happens to the private records ? (I hope BB has the 'make private' function right). What happens to those records they are private only on the phone ?

Then is there any third party software i can buy and use with the BB which will offer the same functionality of Palm Desktop ?

On a side note, since you mentioned you transitioned from a palm treo, how do you find the BB generally in its features etc ? Much better than palm treos or similar ?

The more i research BB's the more palm seems better, unfortunately. I was hoping for BB to be way better. But they dont even have a desktop software. With todays technology and resources what would it cost a company like RIM to make a destop application huh ? Yet they wont. Inspite of knowing their competition has such features that really make sense. If only palm didnt terminate the treos and all their nice phones.The new palms also dont have the PRO serious look that they used to sport. They look like teenagers phones. Very sad for serious business type users.

Last edited by plainman007; 03-01-2010 at 07:36 AM..
Old 03-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

1. Password protect your PC.
2. Outlook, the full version.
3. Palm is better? Give me a break.

RIM has chosen not to reinvent the wheel yet once again by offering it's own version of a desktop PIM. Why should they, when so many users rely on Outlook. You have a great solution, use it.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
plainman007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi Sanders, Im actually wanting to believe that BB is better. I need to make a jump. And now theres no other option. Id either have to take this or go for some normal phone.

Id be glad to know its better. Are the BBs way more versatile and powerful. Id be happy of they are. Also does BB allow one to mark records (either address items or memos) and what happens when an item is marked private ? It becomes invisible unless we change the security level using our password ?

For the desktop thing can i buy a third party software thats more intuitive than Outlook Express ?

Thanks

Last edited by plainman007; 03-01-2010 at 10:16 AM..
Closed Thread