Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Willie G.

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default "Missed Call" Icon won't reset

Please Login to Remove!

I've had my Curve for about 2 months now, completely trouble-free until the other day. I missed a call, but after I checked who it was, the (1) missed call Icon - as well as the red star on the call Icon did not go away. This is really strange- If I miss other calls, the number goes up (3 for example) - but when I check, it always goes back to 1.

I've tried erasing the call log, changing themes, and rebooting the device over and over- but nothing works. I really want to avoid restoring it to an old backup- or resetting it, but I don't know what else to try. Has anyone else experienced this and successfully fixed it... or are there any other things I can try?

Thanks!!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
DyMndSkiR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 22F1E255

Did you do a hard reset or a soft reset?

I.E. did you pull the battery out with the device powered on or did you turn it off before you pulled the battery?
Old 01-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
ltj13
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Try pulling the battery if you havent already.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8800: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Also at our FAQ site, see "How do I reset my messages" link in the first general faq section.
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Main_Page
Old 01-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
Willie G.

Model: Curve

Yeah I've tried pulling the battery both on and off, but nothing. I just checked that FAQ, and nothing there worked... although I haven't wiped and reloaded the OS- not sure if I'm advanced enough to safely pull that off.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
ltj13
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

Its really a very straightforward process to wipe/reload the device... Just follow the directions... I'm surprised nothing else worked tho
Old 01-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #7
fordag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810

I have a Pearl and this happened to me today as well. It's the first time since I got it back in August. I was on the phone using a bluetooth headset when I apparently missed a call. At least the missed call icon showed up. However upon checking my call logs there was no new missed call. The missed call icon won't go away, and the asterik appears over the call log icon.

I've pulled my battery, many many times this afternoon. I've deleted all of my call logs one by one. I changed themes.

That leaves wiping and reloading my phone. I'll try that now.

Last edited by fordag; 01-19-2008 at 01:00 AM..
Old 01-19-2008, 01:22 AM   #8
SLEZ
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320

I just got my Curve today and I am experiencing the same problem. I upgraded the OS and took out the battery. I am going to try to remove the battery out for a bit longer.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:45 AM   #9
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

I am not sure if it in the FAQs but have you guys tried switching themes and switching back? A lot of times this will solve the issue.

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 01-19-2008, 01:54 AM   #10
fordag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
I am not sure if it in the FAQs but have you guys tried switching themes and switching back? A lot of times this will solve the issue.

E-
I changed themes as well as everything else, it didn't help.

I'm in the middle of wiping my phone. I had no idea it would take so long. The "wiping" portion took a minute or two, now it's "scrubbing" and has been for half an hour and still has 40 minutes to go.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:56 AM   #11
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: ups! ;)

DO NOT get impatient...I never realized but I have heard it can take up to 1.25 hours! If you stop it you will wind up with 507 and have to start all over!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 01-19-2008, 01:56 AM   #12
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

backup the device and then wipe it and do a restore. you could also take out the battery and the SIM for a minute or so. This should clear the missed call icon
Old 01-31-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
garylaatsch

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT
Default Clearing Missed Call Icon

backup/wipe/restore worked fine but I had to not restore the Phone Call Log. I was able to go into Advanced setting and remove the Phone Log from the backup data and save it. When I did the restore from that backup data, the ICON finally went away. You do loose all the call log information but that was minimal compared to the annoyance of that ICON having been there for 3 months.

I was told it was the result of when I converted from the 8700 to the 8800 I should have cleared the missed call log before I did the upgrade.

Thanks for all the help you guys provided. Like I said, I have tried several different solutions for the last 3 months and no one had suggested the BU/WIPE/RESTORE method.

---gary
Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #14
Worm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: All
Carrier: Plead the fifth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garylaatsch View Post
backup/wipe/restore worked fine but I had to not restore the Phone Call Log. I was able to go into Advanced setting and remove the Phone Log from the backup data and save it. When I did the restore from that backup data, the ICON finally went away. You do loose all the call log information but that was minimal compared to the annoyance of that ICON having been there for 3 months.

I was told it was the result of when I converted from the 8700 to the 8800 I should have cleared the missed call log before I did the upgrade.

Thanks for all the help you guys provided. Like I said, I have tried several different solutions for the last 3 months and no one had suggested the BU/WIPE/RESTORE method.

---gary
Hi Gary,

This is exactly the correct method, if the call log had been restored with the rest you'd still have the problem (and possibly did).

If a flag fails to drop when you are 100% satisfied you have fullfilled all criterea to drop it, and a hard reset doesn't then clear, the database needs deleting. Most mobile OS application databases are quite logically named, through a bit of searching and a little trial and error you'll hit on the correct one. Similar can often be said for panicking applications.

PalmOS is pretty manic for this, I love 'em for the speed but if you haven't looked at this stuff previously it can be a bit of an inauguration of fire.

cheers

Worm
Old 03-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #15
bbtimr

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon
Cool seriously?

I'm a newbit to BB, but not to PDAs and phones, and I've been loving my pearl for about 2 months now. I have this same thing occurring, and just went through the whole full reset thing when my pearl roller stopped wanting to roll down. It took some time, but it solved the problem (worried it was a hardware issue already). I understand a glitch here and there. Sounds like a lot of effort being described here to clear out a simple call log - is there really no way to have the BB check the actual missed call data and reset the flag or whatever is tripping this up. If I have to start going through an hour and a half of backup and restore every other week - it will get old really fast. I don't know if it is related - but the hourglass had also started appearing along with the phantom missed call icon, making it take a long time to come out of the holster and unlock to use the device. Any other ideas for a way to resolve this?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #16
ctal

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

I've had this happen from time to time on a 7520. What I've had work to clear
the icon is to call myself, leave a short v-mail and then access the call log, open the event and call v-mail from there.

Just had this happen over the weekend and this is what I did to clear the phone icon.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:06 PM   #17
timclark

Model: 8310
Default I'm with bbtimr - Seriously?!

I need to wipe my phone in order to reset a missed call icon? I tried the call myself trick and that didn't work. Again, Seriously?!
Closed Thread