BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:09 AM   #1
plainman007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default No Bluetooth Sync On BB 8300 Series ??

Please Login to Remove!

Im shocked to hear from one of the Blackberry dealers that its not possible to do a Bluetooth Sync. Is this true ?
Old 03-02-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

A Bluetooth Sync with what?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
plainman007
Thumbs Must Hurt

A bluetooth sync. I guess sync stands for syncing with a pc to back up or sync data with outlook ? We call it a Hotsync in Palm parlance and therees only one thing it does, it syncs. I figured even here sync stood for that. Why what other kinds of sync are there ? Anyway id like to sync with my pc, so that all my data is err,,,,, SYNC'd. This is something i do 5 times a day with previous handhelds and i need to do that with my BB too. To ensure theres no data mismatches and all data is current and updated on both devices (i mean PC and BB, in case you ask me again, lol).
Old 03-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Some people try to sync with their cars, or with other BlackBerrys. It was a valid question. Lose the attitude NOW.

There is an entire Bluetooth Connection forum here - Bluetooth Connection - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community - which can help with syncing. No matter what you are trying to sync to.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
plainman007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sync with their car ?? Are you serious ? or you mean with some gadget in the car.

But you could have been helpful and at least told me wether the BB will sync to my pc via bluetooth. You told me everything but that please.

Also i think belittling some members who might be from accross the globe who might not understand your true feel of communication with people from your country is bad. I could feel this from a few members. Ir is it that you know a lot about a small piece of electronic equipment. Even im extremely experienced with palm treos and their os for 15 years. That doesnt make me superior does it ? Its just a phone. And im just trying to buy one in a hurry due to a pricing offer in my country. So please relax and go easy on a just help forum. If you dont like to share and bully beginners then please let me know and i will politely quit this forum.

Last edited by plainman007; 03-02-2010 at 07:57 AM..
Old 03-02-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Yes, it can. You were given bad information. The poorly trained salesman was wrong. Check out the forum I gave you.

And yes, people can sync their address books to their cars. Amazing as that seems.

And I communicate with people all over the world on a daily basis. Thanks for the guidance.

And I had a Palm. A Treo 600. For about a week.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
plainman007
Thumbs Must Hurt

The Treo 600s were way behind the Treo 680s. The improvements were evident from the 650's onwards. I owned a palm M100. Then a Palm 515. Then the tungsten T3. Then a treo 650 and a treo 680. Overall usage of palm approximately 10 years at least.

And just for the record. I wasnt trying to guide you. I assure you i wont attempt such difficult things. After all its your forum and its everything you say.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

No, it's not my forum.
Enjoy your BlackBerry.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Your question was answered. But to point out, Motorcycle Mama had a valid question. As NJ Stated you can sync to your car, you can also sync to Outlook, Yahoo, Google, GroupWise, Lotus Notes, etc. There are more email platforms out there than just Outlook, you know?
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

Wow!

Ummmm, next please because I'm done with this one.

Wow!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
plainman007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi JS,

I didnt know. I had and still have no idea that you could sync to your car ? Maybe as a car security control system ? Or audio player ? Id love to know.

But i am primarily looking at data sync with my pc so that i can view, edit, search my personal contacts and data on the pc and then hit sync so that the data changes reflect in the BB phone.

I called the BB technical people here and the second assitant confirms that you cannot sync via bluetooth. I read the link that was given by NJ where he said theres detailed info on how to sync via BTooth but it seems to be a part of the forum and i could'nt find excplicit instructions on BT syncing.

Also im very surprised that the BB doesnt even have a priovate records function which hides sensitive data from prying eyes (people who ask to see your phone or if youve left it behind somewhere). That comes as default on palm smartphones. I assumed it was something so simple that im sure BB would would have it. But im sadly shocked that such things have been left out. Or maybe im wrong.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
plainman007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wow !

Very conducive environment to encourage newbies to discuss this phone (and please remember, we are only newbies to this phone, not in general life). We all hail from technical backgrounds in our indvidual work. So kindly stop treating people like im a moron or something just because i dont know what this fone does. In my country BB is virtually non-existant in market share. Which is why they have half-baked cookies sitting in the tech support who dont know about the fone (and thats his job) while i dont have to be an expert since im the customer buying the fone. I only needed answers and i am sad now that i tried here. I think a few of the guys who know a little about the fone on this forum (nothing great, since youve just been using it for a while) seem to treat others like Idiots.

And finally come out with flamboyant statements, dramatic punch lines, to prove hes "oh so clever".

Last edited by plainman007; 03-02-2010 at 12:40 PM..
Old 03-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Plainman,

Please understand that everyone here, even the moderators volunteer their time to help others like yourself. I think that this got a little derailed when you talked down to Motorcycle Mama for asking what you wanted to sync with. It was a legit question and maybe there might have been a communication barrier.

Let's move beyond this. Is Bluetooth sync a must? Wired sync is not an option? I see you're comparing the BB to other platforms such as Palm. The BB is different and you need to realize this. Yes, BT sync is possible on the BlackBerry.

There is a password option available on the device as well, so if you lose it, it can lock automatically and no one can have access to your data. You cannot lock individual apps but the device as a whole (which is more secure).
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 03-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #14
plainman007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi Js,

Thanks for explaining. I actually only want to sync my personal data (contacts, memos, calender, tasks). The BB settings and perferences etc are backed up to some folder too i hope, in case i want to do a restore of data and settings after a clean hard reset of the fone.

Id like to do this via bluetooth for 2 reasons. Because i sync very often. My nature of work requires me to do so. I change vital data on my pc desktop and i hotsync as often as i can. So doing this with a cabled solution is going to be a little painstaking and will surely result in a socket problem, plugging in and out so often.

It would be very helpful if you can guide me to a link or even tell in very few lines how the basic process is done if i want to BTooth Sync.

Regards
Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #15
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Here's some stuff to start on:

View Document

I think Bluetooth synching has been somewhat hit and miss for a lot of users who've attempted it (myself included). Part of the problem seems to lie with how BlackBerry designed the bluetooth protocol, in such a way where it doesn't seem to work with regular computers like Dell.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...bluetooth.html
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1389805

Hope you have better luck with it. And if you've found something to work, please share it with others. It's possible we overlooked something in the past.

Last edited by Trimix; 03-03-2010 at 12:29 AM..
Old 03-03-2010, 01:59 AM   #16
plainman007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks Trimix.

Then i think this sounds like the HTC phones and their BT protocol. Its very finicky and will never ever connect in a stable way. But what you mean by Hit & Miss is that to get it to work the first time or you mean even with a paired PC it would work one day and not on another kind of. If its the latter, its worth at least trying cause if it doesnt work i can always rely on cable sync. But if its going to be a hit or miss thing day in and day out, i wont even bother to attempt cause an unreliable hotsync method is of no use, that too for someone who wants to sync very often.

Please let me know so i can act accordingly.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #17
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

By hit I miss I mean that for a group of users attempting to do the same thing (setting up their phone so they can BT sync), some users are successful, while others are not. I dont have ratios of success:failures; though based on the forums, it seems to favor the failures.

I'm assuming if you get it to work, you're good to go and it'll stay that way. Most of us seem to get stuck trying to ungray the BT sync option on desktop manager.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #18
plainman007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi Trimix,

I get what you mean. I shall give it a try but failing which ill have to just resort to cable syncs.

Thanks...
Closed Thread