Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
crony

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Unhappy 8330 Rebooting on own

Please Login to Remove!

Yesterday my BB rebooted like 6 times that I know of and came back on verifying security software. I've only had this phone a couple months but can it be broken or is this normal? Today I caught it rebooting twice. Even if I'm on a call, browsing etc., the red light flickers, screen goes to black then the hourglass and the sprint screen. Please advise.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Check your free memory. Options > status > file free.

If you are storing media (pictures, audio ....) in main memory, you need to move it to microSD.

Also, if you haven't thought about it, consider you can't add applications, themes, etc without limit.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
crony

My photos are on the media card. For file free I have 31879520 bytes.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

EDIT: Remove your microSD card and try again. If that doesn't correct the problem, continue reading.

Did you do anything prior to the problem? Add a new theme, new application? Did you drop it? Has it possibly been exposed to moisture? (Even a sweaty pocket, foggy locker room, etc has been reported to cause problems.)

If you suspect a theme or an app, you might do a security wipe and select the option to delete all third party applications, then restore data and see if the problem is gone. If so, add your apps, ect one at a time.

You could also go all out and wipe the device with JL_CMDER and then reinstall the OS, and then add back the apps one at a time.

But that is if you suspect an faulty app or faulty install might be the problem. If you suspect damage, that's a different matter.

If you have water damage, it may be too late. See the article http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/G...ckBerry_Wet%3F.

Last edited by aiharkness; 02-19-2010 at 09:04 AM..
Old 02-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
crony

I did the battery pull, now I will see if the problem improves. Prior to the problem I installed a theme which I deleted immediately because it caused lag. It hasn't been exposed to moisture. How do I do a security wipe?
Old 02-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

To do a security wipe, open options, select security options, general settings, menu, wipe handheld.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
crony

Will this procedure erase any data? Also, since the battery pull I haven't noticed it rebooting on its own anymore. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

The security wipe is just that ...... It removes all data. Ther is an option to also delete third party applications as well.

If the battery pull fixed things, that's great. Give it a while and see what happens.

In the meantime, do a backup if you haven't already, and do them regularly.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
crony

Ok, thank you for your time. I'm still good but if it acts up again I will do the security wipe. I've also done the back up. Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
Preroll
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted

Check your free memory. Options > status > file free.

If you are storing media (pictures, audio ....) in main memory, you need to move it to microSD.

Also, if you haven't thought about it, consider you can't add applications, themes, etc without limit.
Is there an actual memory threshold limit that will create this type of issue? I have several photos stored on the internal memory with many apps loaded and have not had a reboot issue (except once). I currently have 28,036,756 Bytes Free and it's seems to be OK.

Just curious if there's a particular number to look out for.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

There have been discussions, at least about the old 64MB models. Opinion varies. It seems to depend much on how many and what applications and themes the user has installed, what is running, etc. Some people get by on very little free memory while others have trouble with what would seem to be plenty. That's the best I can tell you, and I don't know anything about the new generation blackberry models.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
doverbey

Carrier: Verizon
Default BB rebooting itself

I see that there are a few similar posts very recently about this issue, e.g.:
" 8330 Rebooting on own - 02-18-2010, 01:24 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday my BB rebooted like 6 times that I know of and came back on verifying security software. I've only had this phone a couple months but can it be broken or is this normal? Today I caught it rebooting twice. Even if I'm on a call, browsing etc., the red light flickers, screen goes to black then the hourglass and the sprint screen. Please advise."

Mine is too!! I have a relatively new BB (December 2010). I have very few new apps on there, nothing installed within the last week, and suddenly on Sunday, 4 days ago, it started to reboot randomly. I will try all the things suggested in response to the posting above but I'm wondering, given the number of similar recent postings, if it's possible that there is some kind of virus problem circulating?

I am also wondering about this: my BB now has two apps on it that I don't remember being pre-installed (but maybe they were; that initial learning period is fuzzy) and I know that I didn't (deliberately) install them - Bing and Slacker Radio.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #13
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverbey View Post
Mine is too!! I have a relatively new BB (December 2010).
You have a BlackBerry from the future, nice!

Quote:
I have very few new apps on there, nothing installed within the last week, and suddenly on Sunday, 4 days ago, it started to reboot randomly.
My guess is that this is the cause of your issue. Remove all of the apps and install one, try it a few days and see how it works. If it doesn't reboot, install another, and so on until you find the culprit.

Quote:
I will try all the things suggested in response to the posting above but I'm wondering, given the number of similar recent postings, if it's possible that there is some kind of virus problem circulating?
No, it is just a coincidence. There is no known virus for the BB. For the few posts that you see about this issue, there are literally thousands of users running fine that aren't posting how happy they are with the device. You will only see problems on support forums. Hardly ever will you see success stories.

Quote:
I am also wondering about this: my BB now has two apps on it that I don't remember being pre-installed (but maybe they were; that initial learning period is fuzzy) and I know that I didn't (deliberately) install them - Bing and Slacker Radio.
Those are not apps, but service books pushed by your carrier. If you click on them, they will bring you to the site to download the app. You can delete them, but they'll be push again by your carrier. It's best to just hide them.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Closed Thread