Harry Azol
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: yes
PIN: N/A
Carrier: yes

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileexpress View Post
why do you guys want UMA so bad on a bold? u need to have the rogers talkspot service to use it and who needs uma when unlimited talk is coming out soon from many different carriers and Rogers will have to follow sooner or later....
you don't need any talkspot service to use it. it just uses your minutes as normal if you don't have talkspot

so why use it? because it's great if you have crappy reception where you live or work.. Also you can use it to save roaming/long distance fees (UMA doesnt work outside north america unfortunately)
Old 11-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #22
webitorgal

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsta View Post
So far, I dig it. The UMA tidbit has yet to be figured out, I guess it's set by the carriers though I'm sure the more hardcore BB tinkerers will figure it out. The thing though is that is 3G such a battery killer? So far, I just have EDGE enabled to preserve battery life. I've had this phone for 2 hours and it's been an honest improvement from my Sony Ericsson w580i and Pearl.

To nindee: Wind just got burned pretty hard by the CRTC. It's not all that likely that they are coming to Canada yet since they need to appeal with the supreme court to be accepted.
I don't know about that. They're working on a Wind store in the Yorkville area right now.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #23
omkhar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by webitorgal View Post
I don't know about that. They're working on a Wind store in the Yorkville area right now.
Wind/Globalive did get burned by the CRTC due to the amount of foreign ownership (Egyptian) in the company. But, Industry Canada had already given them the thumbs up earlier in the year. There is a pending court case regarding the discrepancy, since Globalive has already completed some of their infrastructure based on the Industry Canada approval.

That said, they can continue building as much as they want, they just can't begin service till the CRTC issue is sorted out.

Last edited by omkhar; 11-09-2009 at 01:47 PM..
Old 11-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #24
litt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Fido

Quote:
Originally Posted by omkhar View Post
Wind/Globalive did get burned by the CRTC due to the amount of foreign ownership (Egyptian) in the company. But, Industry Canada had already given them the thumbs up earlier in the year. There is a pending court case regarding the discrepancy, since Globalive has already completed some of their infrastructure based on the Industry Canada approval.

That said, they can continue building as much as they want, they just can begin service till the CRTC issue is sorted out.
Rumors are that MTS AllStream will be stepping up to the plate to help them with their Canadian ownership issues.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #25
jimfraser

Model: Q10

Rogers has been too complacent with its lock on gsm/HSPA - until last week. Finally some home grown competition with both Bell and Telus (same shared network) having built an HSPA+ network in less than a year, which they claim is more extensive than Rogers. I keep my bold 9000 on 3g, since it provides better speed, better phone reception and no interference, if 3g is available. A number of times last summer when Bell/Telus were testing their HSPA+ network I would get sos on my phone where Rogers 3g was weak and Bell/Telus network was coming through strong and clear. Shame on Rogers for letting their lead in HSPA evaporate so quickly.
Rogers is still complacent. Bell is offering the 9700 for $229.99, Telus $249.99 and Rogers $299.99. All on a three year contract.
So Rogers better watch out with Bell and Telus having a more extensive gsm/HSPA+ network, better pricing on the latest hardware, and their data network is not (so far) overloaded with ipod users which according to many who sell both Bell and Roger's hardware resulted in Roger's HSPA network in real word situations running slower than EVDO.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #26
nindee

Model: 9780

My friend has ran tests using a Bold 9700 on Telus HSPA network vs. Rogers HSPA

Telus was nearly 5x faster...something like 5300kbits/sec vs. rogers 1300kbits/sec.

Although I'm sure its because Telus' network is probably mostly vacant...still interesting to say the least.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #27
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Telus and Bell share their networks - so that theory doesn't really hold water.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...

Last edited by stevew; 11-09-2009 at 09:32 PM..
Old 11-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #28
omkhar

Model: 9800
PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by nindee
Telus was nearly 5x faster...something like 5300kbits/sec vs. rogers 1300kbits/sec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Telus and Bell share their networks - so that theory doesn't really hold water.
How does the relative speed of Telus vs Rogers become invalidated because Telus and Bell share the same network ?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #29
raynicolini
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 28316DB1
Carrier: Toronto Wireless

i love the look and feel of the 9700, but had to return it due to the screen size too small, not sure why they call it a Bold when in reallity its an 8900 with 3G and a trackpad
Old 11-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #30
torberry

Model: 9780
Carrier: Pigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynicolini View Post
i love the look and feel of the 9700, but had to return it due to the screen size too small, not sure why they call it a Bold when in reallity its an 8900 with 3G and a trackpad
Funny that you say that Ray because those are pretty much my thoughts as well. However, I find the trackball feature really incredible and the keyboard is vastly superior. The old Bold to me was just a brick- especially with a hard case- this one is sharp! Also, the processor is a lot faster than the 8900.

To each his own bro but I prefer the 9700,
Closed Thread