BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
crosstech100

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation BES and MACs

Please Login to Remove!

I have a user that has a Blackberry 6710 4.0 and connects to a BES 3.6.5.8 for Exchange 2000. The user snycs her blackberry via a pc running XP Sp2, Office 2K3, and connect to Desktop Manager 4.0. But her main computer that she does all her work at and email is a mac. The mac is a G5 running OSX 10.3.7 and Office 2K4 for mac.

The problem is that she is not getting all calender items on her blackberry. I have done both wireless snyc and desktop snyc and it doesn't seem to matter what I do! Does any body have any good ideas?

Ryan
Old 04-21-2005, 11:21 AM   #2
exiled
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosstech100
I have a user that has a Blackberry 6710 4.0 and connects to a BES 3.6.5.8 for Exchange 2000. The user snycs her blackberry via a pc running XP Sp2, Office 2K3, and connect to Desktop Manager 4.0. But her main computer that she does all her work at and email is a mac. The mac is a G5 running OSX 10.3.7 and Office 2K4 for mac.

The problem is that she is not getting all calender items on her blackberry. I have done both wireless snyc and desktop snyc and it doesn't seem to matter what I do! Does any body have any good ideas?

Ryan
Smash the MAC with a baseball bat.

Backup her data first, though. Duh.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:01 PM   #3
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Typical comment from a PC know it all. There should be no issue connecting to the Exchange environment especially with Entourage 2004, I do myself and it works like a charm. For the BB there are a couple options, PocketMac www.pocketmac.net has a great sync tool for BB users, yes its a first release but it will do the basics for $30. If re-director is essential the take a look at SyncAgain from EPICAD www.epicad.com which offers a sync/re-director tool for Mac users. See my sig. for further information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled
Smash the MAC with a baseball bat.

Backup her data first, though. Duh.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
exiled
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch
Typical comment from a PC know it all. There should be no issue connecting to the Exchange environment especially with Entourage 2004, I do myself and it works like a charm. For the BB there are a couple options, PocketMac www.pocketmac.net has a great sync tool for BB users, yes its a first release but it will do the basics for $30. If re-director is essential the take a look at SyncAgain from EPICAD www.epicad.com which offers a sync/re-director tool for Mac users. See my sig. for further information.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:29 PM   #5
rliebsch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMO

Actually, your question has nothing to do with the Mac. It has something to do with either the Blackberry Desktop PIM configuration or the BES user configuration.

Your problem is wireless sync is not working for this user. I'd check that the Desktop software on the Windows side is up to date. I had a similar problem not long ago, and it turned out the Desktop software I was using on our "sync" PC was incompatible with the older handheld software.

Update both and resync. All should be well. The user shouldn't ever need to connect the handheld to the mac. Just maybe sync to the PC once a month to update contacts, since Entourage's memos, tasks, etc are independent of Exchange.

I am a sysadmin for 70 Mac users all of whom have Blackberry handhelds (mix of 6710 and 7710)
Old 07-02-2005, 07:48 PM   #6
hposadas
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by rliebsch
I am a sysadmin for 70 Mac users all of whom have Blackberry handhelds (mix of 6710 and 7710)
The perfect person to ask. Is it possible to update the Blackberry OS using a Mac? Or am I stuck doing the update with Windows?

Thanks!
H
Old 07-03-2005, 10:32 AM   #7
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hposadas
The perfect person to ask. Is it possible to update the Blackberry OS using a Mac? Or am I stuck doing the update with Windows?

Thanks!
H
finch posted some information.

http://www.epicad.com/syncagain/index.htm

Quote:
enables installation of applications on your BlackBerry™ Handheld
not sure if that means the entire OS or not. i'd suggest contacting the company to find out.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:11 PM   #8
greywolfe
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: optus

Although ófficially' the RIM answer would be 'no, not with our software'
Old 07-04-2005, 11:40 AM   #9
hposadas
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
finch posted some information.

http://www.epicad.com/syncagain/index.htm

not sure if that means the entire OS or not. i'd suggest contacting the company to find out.

Looks good to me. But from reading their product page, only the BES version is out at the moment. I guess I have to wait a little bit more for the stand-alone version.

I already use PocketMac, but they don't have the facility to install applications or upgrade the OS. I'll switch to SyncAgain if it allows that.

Things are looking better and better for Mac + BlackBerry owners!

Thanks,
H
Old 07-05-2005, 12:22 AM   #10
uhn2000

Model: 900
Carrier: Rogers
Wink You will need to upgrade to E2k3 or your CDO.Dll version is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosstech100

Ryan
Ok this is the situation. I am a Windows Server guy administratoring MS platform stuff for ever. However I love my powerbook as a laptop and have had some experience with what you are going through. If your stuck with E2k and Entourage 2004 your going to have to make sure you installed the cdo.dll file on the BES server make sure the versioning all matches up with your E2k box. The cdo.dll file is essential in calendar replication. If that doesn't work then you will need to upgrade to E2k3 because that fixed a lot of problems for the MAC users in our office.

Just from my experience BES 4.0 is a million times better the 3.6. Especially when it comes to calendar replication etc. Oh and another thing. Are you experiencing any issues emails being deleted or filed in Entourage and not reconciling on the blackberry ?