Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO
Default Expandable Memory

Please Login to Remove!

My micro SD card died. I haven't been able to read it all week but was lucky enough to get it to recognize today so am backing up the contents to my computer.

Now for the new card, can someone link me to blackberrys official specs on the max expandable memory this thing can hold. Crackberry says 32G but who knows if that is right? I would also like to know the best speed rating so I don't waste $ buying speed I will never benefit from.

Even if you can't link me, anyone know the answers?

I am disappointed with blackberry these days. They're making changes to the device without giving you the option of using them or not (ex. no column view in the browser) and their website is all but worthless to a long time user. It is packed with graphics and eye-candy instead of solid easy to find information like what is the max memory my device can take. Every technical spec chart I see says it "ships with 2GB". That's fine, what will it take???

I am eying a new device to buddy up to since it seems blackberry left it's loyal customer base in search of the elusive market that considers blackberry in the same arena as full bench seats or even 60/40 splits (try to find one f those new). If I have to settle for bucket seats and a fat @$$ console tying up valuable space then I sure don't need to pay Cadillac price. Same with blackberry, if I wanted a device that "also" does email and take phone calls I sure don't have to pay a premium for that. Those are a dime a dozen...

</RANT>

Last edited by Soapm; 07-02-2011 at 01:19 PM..
Old 07-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Expandable Memory

What type and size Media Card can I use in my device? - BlackBerryFAQ

Hasn't changed in years.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Soapm

You may not agree but I believe this should be easily found in the technical specs and not burried in some FAQ. They say compare devices, don't you think this is something to consider in a comparison?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
Soapm

Ps... Now I have to wait to get home to read the FAQ since my old eyes can't see micro print. What a worthless browser when you can't read the pages?
Old 07-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Thanks NJ, wasn't trying to sound unappreciative but I had scoured their site for an hour and really felt this shouldn't be a hard question to find the answer.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Maybe hard to find at blackberry.com, but it may be time to repeat that Google (or Bing ...) is your friend.

http://m.bing.com/search/search.aspx...I=0&PN=0&SCO=0
Old 07-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
boetab

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: MTN

Try gsmarena.com they should have all the specs of almost any phone you're looking for. I do understand what you're saying though, RIM is turning into an EPIC FAIL!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Wow.
I guess the $3 billion dollars in the bank won't hold out for long.
Ridiculous comment.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
boetab

Maybe I should've specified where they failing. Their customer support is really depressing. I've seen problem after problem but never solutions, or at least, I haven't seen solutions from RIM. I've had my 9780 for just over a month and so far I've found that my buttons repeat after pressing it once. My cursor disappears randomly, my 3g speeds suddenly slow down to edge speeds. Sure RIM is making money, but for how long? Share prices are dropping like hot potatoes. They need to look after the people who gave them their $3 billion.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Yes, and you are entitled to your opinion. At their annual general meeting, which was going to be The End of RIM (according to some) absolutely nothing was changed. Nothing. If you have the repeating character, contact the carrier - they know about it. Do a warranty exchange. Get a new one.

Speeds changing on a 9780 are more an indication of network/carrier issues (yes, I know MTN).
Old 07-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
boetab

Don't get me wrong, I probably wouldn't be able to live without my bb. I mean I can't believe I survived as long as I did without 1, but it's frustrating that I spent so much on a phone that has a known a defect! Anyway, I hope they iron out their creases sooner rather than later.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by boetab View Post
Don't get me wrong, I probably wouldn't be able to live without my bb. I mean I can't believe I survived as long as I did without 1, but it's frustrating that I spent so much on a phone that has a known a defect! Anyway, I hope they iron out their creases sooner rather than later.
That isn't just a BlackBerry thing. The iPhone 4 was released with a hardware flaw that caused dropped calls, you needed a case to correct the issue.

The HTC Evo 4G was released with an issue with SD cards, they released an update shortly after the release to remedy this. All manufacturers experience bugs.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]

Last edited by jsconyers; 07-14-2011 at 01:18 PM..
Old 07-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Samsung Galaxy S phone (version one) requires 3 batteries to last a day.
Repeating - all manufacturers experience bugs.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
boetab

I suppose u right. No use arguing over spilt milk. I just have to keep what little faith I do have
Old 07-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
Soapm

I bought two different memory cards and I keep getting the message that I need to format. I will have to order a new phone. I sure wish TMO had the torch since a 9780 doesn't really seem an upgrade from the 9700 (except the memory will be working).

I can live with the other flaws but getting rid of column view was Rim's doing and it makes you wonder what they were thinking introducing a new browser with micro print. You have to think they tested it, how did the testers read pages? Did they get all guys with magnifying glasses?
Old 07-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #16
Lendo

Model: 8530
Carrier: Bell

I have a 16GB Micro SDHC card in an old 8530 and it works just fine.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #17
stevew

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Wow.
I guess the $3 billion dollars in the bank won't hold out for long.
Ridiculous comment.
Not at the current burn rate - LOL
To the RIM naysayers - go buy an iPHONE.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #18
Soapm

What I have feared has now happened...

I bought a 32GB micro memory card off ebay and I can get it to format but once I load xxx amount of stuff on it my blackberry would start saying it needs to repair the card and by the time the repair is done the data is worthless.

So I returned that card to the seller thinking it was bad and he sent me a new 32GB card. Unfortunately it behaves identical to the first.

So now I believe the problem has to be my phone so I upgraded one of my lines and got a new 9780 from TMO. Unfortunately the the 32GB card in my new 9780 behave identical to my old 9700. I try formatting with computer, quick format, slow format, I format in device and when I load xxx amount of data the card flakes out.

So now I suspect my data. I start loading one folder at a time checking the card after each folder is loaded. Card dies so I think the problem is in one of those folders but no matter what combination of folders I try and I can get so far then I get the repair error.

Now I'm scratching my head so I stick in the 2GB card that came with the new 9780. I can load it to the max without one hiccup. I am now back using my old 9700 to keep from having to re-register any of my programs but I am running just fine with the 2GB card but I can't get my purchased 32GB card to hold any significant amount of data. Not even the 1.8GB I currently have working fine on the 2GB card.

I could be wrong but it seems these cheap 32GB cards I got off eBay aren't compatible with my BB. I say that because I have the replacement in this laptop and it is holding a good 28GB to include the contents of my blackberry (several times over with different folder names) and it is working just fine in my laptop. I put it back in the blackberry and I get the repair warning. I then have to reformat it and start from scratch.

I can format it in the blackberry, move it to my computer and it will work fine until I stick it back in either blackberry with any significant about of data. Doesn't seem to be consistent with the amount of data, sometimes 2GB sometimes I can get 4GB.

Anyone ever seen anything like this? Any ideas I haven't tried? What kind of 32GB cards are you guys having success with? This is very disappointing because I have to explain to the wife why I bought a new phone but am still using my old one. I really hope TMO will take it back.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #19
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post

I could be wrong but it seems these cheap 32GB cards I got off eBay aren't compatible with my BB. I say that because I have the replacement in this laptop and it is holding a good 28GB to include the contents of my blackberry (several times over with different folder names) and it is working just fine in my laptop. I put it back in the blackberry and I get the repair warning. I then have to reformat it and start from scratch.

I do not know anything technical, but I think that has to be the explanation, given what you have described. Maybe the cards are out of spec. For some reason the defect(s) does not cause the computer to stumble, but it is too much for the BlackBerry.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I do not know anything technical, but I think that has to be the explanation, given what you have described. Maybe the cards are out of spec. For some reason the defect(s) does not cause the computer to stumble, but it is too much for the BlackBerry.
I suspect your right but I was wondering what memory others have bought since I can't keep throwing money down this hole and 2GB wont cut it for the long haul.

I am hoping someone can come along and translate technical to me so I can make a wise purchase...
Closed Thread