Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 12:08 AM   #41
tchao
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT
Default alerting sound

Please Login to Remove!

sorry if anyone had already address this. How do you turn aim sound off? I just got a 7100t and using the software that came with it (OZ).

thanks
Old 03-24-2005, 12:41 AM   #42
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

You can't (unless they've released a newer version). That's why many of us prefer third party software instead of the OZ software.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 03-25-2005, 12:42 PM   #43
Mark PPG
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

I have been using Verchat for a few days now, but I have a question. When someone ICQ's me a phone number, it comes up as a clickable link but defaults to the browser and trys to open it as an ip address. Do any of the other IM programs offer proper phone number intergration?
Thanx in advance
Old 03-27-2005, 01:17 AM   #44
Harreh

Hi, I'm new to blackberry and couldn't get IM+ to work on my 7750. I installed Verichat and it seems to be installed correctly. BUT, whenever i try to login i get "Could not find service book ent". Any idea what i need to do so i can connect to the chat services?

It looks like nice program. I hope i'm able to use it.

I'm using verizon, btw.

Harreh
Old 03-27-2005, 01:57 AM   #45
teskew

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular

Just wait till BB's have the AOL, Yahoo pre-installed. Verichat users - would you still use it as much or not?
Old 03-27-2005, 09:09 AM   #46
AL904

Carrier: at&t

I gave up on Verichat a couple of weeks ago. I am in my second week of a 30-day trial of WebMessenger. I find WebMessenger works fine with all four (ICQ, AOL, MSN, and Yahoo!) IM services.

You can check them out at http://www.webmessenger.com/index.jsp

I plan to purchase a license.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:38 PM   #47
Harreh

do you have to connect thru an enterprise server to get it to work? i don't connect to any sort of enterprise server.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:13 PM   #48
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Both WebMessenger and VeriChat works without a BES/MDS now. (Regardless of outdated specs on their webpage). Just make sure you follow the "Configuring Internet On BlackBerry" from the BlackBerry FAQ in the link below:
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 03-27-2005, 07:29 PM   #49
jrogers

where do i go to download it msn messager for 7100r blackberry
Old 03-27-2005, 10:41 PM   #50
capngeno

Model: 7100g on order
Default IM Not in Business? Au contraire, mon ami !!

Mark Rehjon, thanks so much for all your insightful work on these forums - you've got a dedicated reader in me !!

Earlier in this thread (I haven't figured out the quote function yet), you stated:

IM is only a niche market for business.

With all due respect, I manage 300 employees in 17 locations spanning 4 countries, and we use an IM program all the time (we happen to use the Lotus Notes add-ons called "SameTime" or "Notes Buddy".

A few business advantages of IM-type apps:

1. since everyone's on the same email software with this add-on, its almost a natural to log onto ST (SameTime) when you log in to check your mail, so most folks are accessible.

2. we do lots of telephone conferences (usually secure 8xx phone-in numbers with passwords for security) and may have many folks on a call. since we're remote physically from each other (not in the same conference room looking at each other eye ball to eye ball), often hard to read "body language", so we use ST to ping other attendees "off line" for their impressions of what's being said by the speaker(s), etc. or to have "side conversations" since we're already all "there"

3. its a great way to just stay in touch with employees, colleagues or your boss (the new electronic way of practicing MBWA (management by walking around).

4. i bet i have at least half a dozen ST windows going at any point during my 10 to 12 hour days, either at my home office or work site office.

5. people get used to "seeing" you on ST, and as such, you are a viable presence in the "office" no matter where you are physically (I also spend a couple of months a year working from my boat - its ok when at the dock and tied into a land line (dial up speed for email SUCKS but one gets by - one of the reasons I just bought a BB (7100g) is so I can do this while "hangin' on the hook" (at anchor), and not be punished by dial up speeds to my laptop or land line. in many cases, i avoid a LOT of otherwise essential email to get the job done by using ST.

So Mark, for me, and a few other tens of thousands of IBMers, ST (IM, etc) is a fundamental part of how we do business worldwide. not just a consumer gadget, but a serious business tool !!

thanks again for all the great posts, you guys, this is awesome stuff !!
Old 03-29-2005, 06:54 PM   #51
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

capngeno,

Do you happen to use SameTime on your blackberry? What proggie do you use to have that capability for the Blackberry?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:29 PM   #52
Andicardwell

Model: 7130e

To turn off AIM sounds, you will need to go to Profiles and edit your options for SMS.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:37 PM   #53
Andicardwell

Verichat works fine for me except for one thing. I love how you can be signed on to AOL at two different places at the same time. Wish this was an option for MSN as well because we use both at my company.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #54
chiroosgoode

Default Blackberry 7100r How to get Verichat going?

Verichat installed successfully ... then I get to the choosing of the "prviders" (MSN and Yahoo) for instant messaging ... they ask for the ID/Passwords , which I do, then !!!! What ????? When I go to the Applications then to Verichat ... it still asks to re-renter all of the info ... seems I CANNOT save the entries!
What to do please?
Old 04-01-2005, 10:54 PM   #55
CINCNORAD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL904
I gave up on Verichat a couple of weeks ago. I am in my second week of a 30-day trial of WebMessenger. I find WebMessenger works fine with all four (ICQ, AOL, MSN, and Yahoo!) IM services.

You can check them out at http://www.webmessenger.com/index.jsp

I plan to purchase a license.
I finally tried this program. I still prefer the Verichat interface, but the damn thing keeps logging on and off on me all day long. Having tried IM+, and Verichat as well now... I think Webmessenger is the best of the three at this point in time. I'll probably purchase a license as well at the end of the trial.

They should really update their webpage... I didn't try it all this time since I thought you had to have BES/MDS as indicated. I'm glad Mark posted otherwise.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:10 AM   #56
killasphynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroosgoode
Verichat installed successfully ... then I get to the choosing of the "prviders" (MSN and Yahoo) for instant messaging ... they ask for the ID/Passwords , which I do, then !!!! What ????? When I go to the Applications then to Verichat ... it still asks to re-renter all of the info ... seems I CANNOT save the entries!
What to do please?

If you configured it right, it should auto sign you in to all or any of them that you pick when verichat starts. I wanted to sign into all 4, so when i set it up, i made sure that the checkbox was checked to auto connect when verichat is started. It saved my info and signs me in automatically.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:10 PM   #57
CINCNORAD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

For any of you experienced with Webmessenger... Quick question:

I'm leaving the program running in the background all day... but often when I switch back to it throughout the day, it says it's "disconnected" -- and I can't seem to manually connect it again (unless I perhaps log out completely, close the program, and log back in again.) I'm in service area, so it's not like my phone is out of range. And my screen-names appear online to my buddies, but any messages they send are lost. What's the cause of this... any way to fix it?
Old 04-03-2005, 10:55 AM   #58
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Nextel

I'm on my 3rd day with WM and that is also the same problem I face. Despite clicking on 'connect' when one or two of my IM services show 'disconnect' status, the only way to get connection back is to exit and relog back into WM providing it does not crash your BB.

But what is funny is that if WM is a single socket connection, then why is it that sometimes 1 or 2 of the IM services log me off? What's annoying about this is that it wouldn't log back on.

Some additional info: If you have trouble logging into WM consistently, it may be time to do a hard reboot (removal of battery). I have a hunch that (for Nextel at least) when using WM for too long of a period, something happens and you lose the MDG connection which renders WM useless. I test this by going into Reqwireless' WebBrowser and if I can;t view websites, then it's time to reboot. This does nto seem to affect the NOL browser however I wonder if this affects the DC or cell calls.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:37 AM   #59
AL904

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee309
But what is funny is that if WM is a single socket connection, then why is it that sometimes 1 or 2 of the IM services log me off?
That is one problem that I have not experienced with WebMessenger. (Knock on wood!_

Old 04-03-2005, 02:17 PM   #60
TTG

Default Verichat for Blackberry Preparation and Installation

Mark -

A client of mine wants to use AIM on his Blackberry 7520 with Nextel service. I have upgraded him to OS 4.0. I want to get explicit instructions to be able to install Verichat in one visit. I've looked over Verichat's instructions and yours. Little confused. Will I need and APN from Nextel and the TCP static IP? Can you give me exact instructions including if I need to speak to Nextel to "turn on" any additional services for this install to go relatively seemlessly.

Thanks, TTG
Closed Thread