Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppergirl View Post
I have not loaded anything...the only apps are the ones that came on the Tour. Well if yours is good, then you're probably fine. My problems with the first one were immediate and with this one were after maybe 24 hrs or less. My daughter's is not having the problems that I am having so I think it is a hit or miss...some people get ones with no problems and others get the ones with many problems.

Oh well if it keeps messing up, I'll take it back til I get one that doesn't have glitches.
How about the Micro SDHC card? Factory, or something of your own?
Old 08-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #42
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Prev Alltel...now Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Pancake View Post
How about the Micro SDHC card? Factory, or something of your own?
I have a few pictures on the SD card but that's it. If I can't add a few pictures to a device this expensive, then I don't want it. Point is the trackball and everything should work without all these issues. Somebody did not do very good quality control on these BB's...don't know if it was Verizon or RIM or both.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #43
Stale Pancake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

Quote:
I have a few pictures on the SD card but that's it. If I can't add a few pictures to a device this expensive, then I don't want it. Point is the trackball and everything should work without all these issues. Somebody did not do very good quality control on these BB's...don't know if it was Verizon or RIM or both.
No I mean, what kind of Micro SDHC card is it? How big, what brand, factory or provided by you? It might be a bad card causing all this. Have you had it both machines? Have you tried the Tour without it or a different one?
Old 08-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #44
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale Pancake View Post
No I mean, what kind of Micro SDHC card is it? How big, what brand, factory or provided by you? It might be a bad card causing all this. Have you had it both machines? Have you tried the Tour without it or a different one?
It is the card that came in the device and it is the original one because I had pics loaded so the rep just put it in phone #2. I will try pulling the card and see if that makes any difference...I hadn't thought about that being the culprit. I'll try anything to not have to put up with all the issues.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #45
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
The QC issue with the trackball is definitely RIM. I have it and lots of other Sprint folks do to. Some people have exchanged ones with the trackball problem and the newer batch doesn't seem to have it. i personally have ordered a new trackball and will install it myself when it arrives. I got an orange one designed for the Tour and a second one, white - for the Bold, in case the orange one does the same thing as my original one.

It seems like it's always something with new BlackBerry models. You'd think that at this stage in the manufacturing process RIM would have everything ironed out. These Tour trackballs are new and designed to be lower profile than previous trackballs. But every time a new feature is added it seems to be an issue. Makes me wonder how the touch trackpads are going to be. Back in the good old days, when RIM came out with a new model is was so similar to older ones that these QC issues seemed to occur far less frequently. Now, however, each "improvement" makes me hold my breath!
Old 08-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #46
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
The QC issue with the trackball is definitely RIM. I have it and lots of other Sprint folks do to. Some people have exchanged ones with the trackball problem and the newer batch doesn't seem to have it. i personally have ordered a new trackball and will install it myself when it arrives. I got an orange one designed for the Tour and a second one, white - for the Bold, in case the orange one does the same thing as my original one.

It seems like it's always something with new BlackBerry models. You'd think that at this stage in the manufacturing process RIM would have everything ironed out. These Tour trackballs are new and designed to be lower profile than previous trackballs. But every time a new feature is added it seems to be an issue. Makes me wonder how the touch trackpads are going to be. Back in the good old days, when RIM came out with a new model is was so similar to older ones that these QC issues seemed to occur far less frequently. Now, however, each "improvement" makes me hold my breath!
Yeah Rambo47 it seems that RIM would get the kinks worked out a lot better than they have with the Tour before they release this phone. I know if Verizon and Alltel were releasing the same phone, Alltel was always later releasing it because they said they tried to QC themselves and get the kinks out before the customers had it in their hands. It was a pain having to wait sometimes on a phone to be released but at least most of the time all these kinks were worked out and you didn't have to return a phone 4 or 5 times to get one that worked correctly.

This 2nd one did pretty good for maybe 24 hrs and then it was like once I used the trackball a while then it became just like the previous one. Personally I liked the higher profile trackball on my 8830 and it worked without issue but every so often it would get a little haywire but I blew it with canned air and that did the trick. This Tour is haywire no matter what I try to get it to work. There just isn't a fix and the longer I have it, the worse the trackball gets and the more glitches appear!

I just did not realize that the majority of the devices had major issues or I wouldn't have changed from my 8830. Long story...but I had to change phones so my daughter could change to the Tour because she her Curve wasn't reliable. And she uses Yahoo on her BB to keep in touch with her boyfriend who is in the Army and serving in Iraq right now. So I guess if one of us had to get a Tour with issues, better me than her.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #47
jimmysvt

My wife and I are first time blackberry owners we both picked up Tours from verizon through the upgrade from alltell. As for our first blackberries and experiences with them, we couldn't be happier. Neither of our phones have had any issues or problems. You gotta also think most people that post on forums post because they have questions or issues they can't figure out themselves. Think how many people that have these phones are happy with them. Not to many people are going to start a new thread saying how happy they are. Then you'd have to sort through the junk of that to find an answer to your problem. So take it back try to get a good one new shipments of revised phones came in on the 21st. I love mine and wouldn't want anything else. It's worth a shot, if you still don't like it, go back and get a curve.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #48
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well here's the update...got Tour #2 last Thurs and as of tonight, I have Tour #3. The 2nd one had the same issues as the first one. The VZW rep offered a different phone but it's almost become a game to see who wins...me or the Tour. I am not interested in a Curve because that seems like going backwards to me and I am not interested in the Storm because I really don't think I want the touch screen plus the Storm is larger than the Tour or my former 8830.

Well anyway we are on #3 and we'll see if this one is going to have problems.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #49
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Third time's a charm. I hope that's true for you.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 PM   #50
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Third time's a charm. I hope that's true for you.
Thanks Daphne, I hope so too.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #51
bigdaadio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
PIN: chin pennies
Carrier: sprint

I am on Tour number 3, and it started doing the same thing( horizontal track ball problems).
I was on way to sprint store to give it back ( i got original one 2 weeks ago) when I decided to take the advice of the "white" trackball. This thing is acting like it should! I have my finger crossed...
Old 09-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #52
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well here's the update...had to get Tour #4 today. #3 was freezing up and randomly rebooting itself. I think the other 3 were made in Mexico and all on the same date. This one shows Canada and a different manufacture date...so we'll see what happens. A friend was there tonight when I went in for my trade...he was getting Tour #3 but he still said, he loves the phones.

Also I had heard that RIM realized the problems and had put out a shipment of Tour phones that resolved the problems. So I asked the VZW rep, she said they had been told this but had not received word when this shipment would hit the stores. For now, as long as they will replace these defective ones, I will deal with it.

Fingers crossed that this one is going to be the one! Hope everyone has a great Labor Day Holiday weekend!!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:36 AM   #53
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Oh, sorry you had to get # 4! Hope this one is it. You have a great holiday weekend too.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #54
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I don't know about VZW, but Sprint stores got bunches of trackballs to replace sticky ones for any customers who complain. The original fix, according to the Sprint reps that visit the stores, was to "hold down the trackball and shoot in compressed air. Then move the ball around real fast for a couple of seconds to dislodge any dirt. Repeat the compressed air." Now they're actually addressing the issue with new trackballs. Progress!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:51 AM   #55
jkrieger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

I too had a 8830 for 2 years before I bought a new Tour. I went through frustrations with the trackball also. Until I went in Sprint store and exchanged my Tour, everything works great for me again. I do like my Tour for its new features, but something in me do still miss the simple greatness and reliability in my old 8830.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #56
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah jkreiger..I miss the reliability of my 8830 and I am sure I will love the Tour once I get past the glitches.

Yeah rambo47 it doesn't seem right that you would buy a new phone and then have to do maintenance to get it to work properly. Glad Sprint has come up with a solution.

The trackball on #3 did pretty well. That one has numerous random reboots and freeze ups.

Hoping #4 will do the trick but if it doesn't, then maybe VZW will have the shipment in with the "fixed" ones really soon. It's frustrating to have to keep returning the phone but it'll get resolved sooner rather than later hopefully!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #57
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Supposedly the new batch of Tours (without the problems) come with green dots on the boxes. Look for a new sealed box, but with the green dot.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #58
tj13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: verizon

i thought the green dot was a refurb?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #59
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj13 View Post
i thought the green dot was a refurb?
That is what I thought too.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #60
Mthr1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I got a pair of green dot Tours from Verizon telesales on 09.01. They were not refurbished units. Both came in retail boxes, no FRU brandings anywhere, and both have been working perfectly for the last 5 days.

I have been tracking the Tour complaints since they were released and had some very strong reservations about upgrading from my 8703s. However, the prospect offer of getting two Tours for $49 was too appealing for me to hold off any longer.

So far here is what I have tested...

Trackball: Works fine. Horizontal navigation is equally as fluid as vertical movements. No freezes or lag after the initial device boot up from when I first powered the units up. Very responsive. Surprising warming up to it after being skeptical of moving up from the thumbwheel.

Device stability: Great. No freezes, so far. Tested with prolonged trials with camera, video recording/playing, several app installs and loads.

Voice quality: No muffled voice quality. Even using my Flamingo bluetooth, there was no low volume issues that were present with a lot of other units,

Earpiece cover panel: No creaking, no looseness.

Battery Life: Big difference from the 2600 mah seidio that was in my 8703, but I hope that will change once I get my new Seidio extended battery.

Signal Strength: Inconsistent. For the most part, ok...but not as stable as my 8703, particularly with EVDO and 3G. I work in the valley region and where data strength was rock solid with my old BB, the Tour is in and out of 3G and EVDO all the time. I am hoping future software updates rectify this issue.

Screen ripple: More vulnerable than my 8703, but nothing that I feel is excessive or abnormal.

Holster: I hate it. Can't wait for my Seidio.

Vibration: Weak vibrational motor strength on the Tour, but that being said, is still slightly better than the weak vibration on the 8703. Oh well.

Thermal performance: After heavy voice and data use, the units never warmed to anything unusual or excessive.

No other significant issues to discuss. FWIW, my units were made in Mexico, with a build date of 08.17.09

The phone is a great phone. Like many have stated, I feel it's one of the best full featured CDMA Blackberry devices available. Virtually, all the previous BB model releases have their own share of headaches. I remember similar horror stories when my 7290 and 8703 were released. Patience will pay off in the long run. In just a little over a month, the current batch of Tours, I'm sure, are vastly more stable and improved over the early July releases.

Hang in there.
Closed Thread