roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Old 01-14-2005, 04:55 PM   #7
Sdevitt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Bes 4.0 Knife Edge Cutover Question

We attempted to do a cutover from 3.6 to 4.0 yesterday with little success. We built up a separate 4.0 server with the same information as the 3.6 server we wanted to cutover. Each server has its own database but both point to the same Blackberry Admin mailbox. We shut down the 3.6 server and five minutes later brought up the 4.0 server. When we looked at the Blackberry Management Console, the server was running but no users were populated. In 4.0 does it no longer have the capability of pulling the information off the admin mailbox to recreate the database? If that is the case is there an easier way to do the cutover instead of having to do an export/import and then having everyone recradle? I am guessing we will have to do something with the database files.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:04 AM   #8
Snyder81
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I'm planning to do an in-place production server upgrade of 3.6 SP2 to 4.0 for Exchange tomorrow morning. The server has ~365 users. I plan to take a Ghost image of the server before doing anything so if everything goes wrong, I'll just reimage the server back to it's original working condition. I have been running a 4.0 test server for ~1 month and it's been rock solid with ~13 users. I'm hoping the in-place upgrade works well. I think the only steps I need to take are installing MDAC 2.8 for the MSDE database and then running the 4.0 upgrade software. I'll let you know how it goes and any problems I ran into after the upgrade is successful (or unsuccessful). I plan to move the database from MSDE to SQL on a SQL server, but I'm going to wait until after the 4.0 upgrade so any database conversion that takes place will be on the local machine. Wish me luck!
Old 01-15-2005, 03:05 PM   #9
acnst
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: not configured
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder81
I'm planning to do an in-place production server upgrade of 3.6 SP2 to 4.0 for Exchange tomorrow morning.
Take a look at the BES4 installation guide. There it says that you need at least a BES 3.6 with SP3 before you can upgrade.

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 01-15-2005, 06:55 PM   #10
Snyder81
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by acnst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder81
I'm planning to do an in-place production server upgrade of 3.6 SP2 to 4.0 for Exchange tomorrow morning.
Take a look at the BES4 installation guide. There it says that you need at least a BES 3.6 with SP3 before you can upgrade.
Yeah, I caught that last night after I posted. I upgraded to SP3, installed MDAC 2.8, and then upgraded to 4.0. I just had the installation upgrade the existing database and everything seems to be working fine. I saw a few errors in the Application Log of Windows Event Viewer - one was caused by an old service from 3.6 that no longer exists in 4.0(User Admin or something like that). I called TSupport and they just had me delete the relevant registry key. I am getting a few Application Log warnings for individual users, but for the most part it went pretty well, and even the users who are generating errors seem to be receiving mail so I guess we'll see...
Old 01-15-2005, 09:19 PM   #11
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: Bes 4.0 Knife Edge Cutover Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdevitt
We attempted to do a cutover from 3.6 to 4.0 yesterday with little success. We built up a separate 4.0 server with the same information as the 3.6 server we wanted to cutover. Each server has its own database but both point to the same Blackberry Admin mailbox. We shut down the 3.6 server and five minutes later brought up the 4.0 server. When we looked at the Blackberry Management Console, the server was running but no users were populated. In 4.0 does it no longer have the capability of pulling the information off the admin mailbox to recreate the database? If that is the case is there an easier way to do the cutover instead of having to do an export/import and then having everyone recradle? I am guessing we will have to do something with the database files.

Thanks.
Export the list of users. Import them. As long as you tell it to not clear the information, they *should not* have to recradle (provided that the BES virtual server name and SRP Identifier are the same).
Old 01-24-2005, 11:47 AM   #12
rgeorge
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile

I did something very similar to what you are doing.

- Existing BES 3.6 Server
- New 4.0 Server (new name, new hardware, same BES admin mailbox, same SRP)

The steps I did are as follows. This method resulted in almost NO user downtime.

1. Setup the new server as if it was a new server with a NEW database. Installing everything including all license keys, SRP and keys, MAPI profile. (DO NOT START SERVICES)

2. Stop services on OLD server.

3. Copy your BESMgmt Database to the new server (unless keeping on an existing SQL server)

4. Use the BESMigration.exe utility located in the tools folder of your 4.0 software. Run this FROM THE NEW SERVER. This will MIGRATE users from one version and server to another server. For example, the command line I used was (besmigration -s "BESAdmin" "OLDBES" "NEWBES" -d "SQLSERVER" "BESMgmt")

5. You can run the above in PREVIEW mode (add a -p) to TEST before actually making changes.

When migration is done, start the NEW server. For me, i moved close to 320 users to a new server in about 15 minutes total time.
Closed Thread