Carrier: TMO,AT&T,Verizon, Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Old 01-04-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
Hotwax007
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT
Default BES 4.0 for Domino Upgrade?

Has anyone done a BES 4.0 Upgrade to an existing BES 2.2 server? If so was ther any client impact?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
besdomino

Model: 8700G
Carrier: Telstra
Default Upgraded on Sunday from 2.2 to 4.0

Firstly you will need to contact TSupport or your Carriers Support and request a CAL authentication key. I requested one from TSupport and they produced it in 30secs. Note if you install 4.0 Trial Code, you cannot use your Production SRP Authentication key. Make sure you use the Production code if upgrading a Production BES 2.2. Yes with BES 2.2 there was only one key, however in 4.0 there is a SRP and CAL key.

2.2 to 4.0 is really not an seamless upgrade, except for the User Migration as all your configurations do not transfer across and you need to re-enter them after the install.

Decide if you are going MSDE or SQL first, as if you do go MSDE then move to SQL later, there are some error tables which don't get transferred as they are in the master database for some reason, however if you have a good SQL Admin you are OK.

Important: Read the Manuals and Guides, as you will have an easy upgrade, as their are some workarounds for BES to SQL login

Adding new Users is even easier under BES 4.0 even with older Desktop Managers and BB's. When you upgrade the Device to 4.0 you have a wealth of information about it.

I have setup my Software Configurations and upgraded a few devices to 4.0 from the Admin PC. When upgrading the devices I still had control of the BlackBerry Manager to do other functions at the same time, which was very nice. I have also installed 3rd Party Applications wirelessly, however I never knew the progress of the install and had to check the Applications section under the Handheld Properties on the BlackBerry Manager to find out if it worked.

If you are true Domino Administrator, you will be disappointed, as it's not easy anymore to check User Stats or Pending messages, as before you would go to the User Profiles Db and check the Statistics view or check the Pending messages in the Outgoing Queue Db from your Lotus Notes Client. Now I am unsure how to get this information out, however RIM are providing a BlackBerry Resource Kit on the 21st Jan for Lotus Domino - http://www.blackberry.com/support/do...ourcekit.shtml
Old 01-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
Hotwax007

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Blackberry support told me today that the CALs will be generated automatically during the upgrade.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:46 AM   #5
besdomino

Model: 8700G
Carrier: Telstra

The release notes do mention Bundle 73.

Resolved issues
This section lists resolved issues for BlackBerry Enterprise ServerTM version 4.0.0 bundle 73 for IBM® Lotus® Domino®.
SDR42968 Previously, when upgrading from version 2.2 to version 4.0, license information stored in the notes.ini file was not migrated into the configuration database, so a new license key was required.

I think the writer may have made a typo as 69 is the official released gold code.

As you know with software there will always be service packs. They might be planning for all the SDR's mentioned in the release notes to be fixed in bundle 73 which might be SP1 for 4.0 but I am just guessing?

Until then you will need to contact TSupport to get a CAL for Domino
Old 01-28-2005, 10:50 AM   #6
TheBerryGuru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

The current download is bundle 73. Bundle 69 was only available for a couple of days before it was taken down and replaced with the Bundle 73.

So depending on when you downloaded you BES 4.0 software will depend on whether the CAL's get generated automatically for you.

(I can't remember the exact date, sometime in early December I beleive)
Old 01-28-2005, 10:54 AM   #7
TheBerryGuru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers
Default Re: Upgraded on Sunday from 2.2 to 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by besdomino
If you are true Domino Administrator, you will be disappointed, as it's not easy anymore to check User Stats or Pending messages, as before you would go to the User Profiles Db and check the Statistics view or check the Pending messages in the Outgoing Queue Db from your Lotus Notes Client. Now I am unsure how to get this information out, however RIM are providing a BlackBerry Resource Kit on the 21st Jan for Lotus Domino - http://www.blackberry.com/support/do...ourcekit.shtml
The BlackBerry Manager shows this information.
Closed Thread