Old 10-13-2009, 03:11 AM   #1
mattrgee

Model: storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Default Virtualisation and Licensing

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

Are there any licensing implications for running BES in a virtual environment? For instance, if a physical host has 2 sockets (physical cpu's) but the BES virtual machine is only allocated one, would an extra licence be required?

We use Domino here, any ideas for licensing Domino in a virtual environment? i.e. would the licensing be based on the number of sockets or the number of allocated virtual cpu's?

Thanks.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
TreeDude
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPn4S
PIN: 76E5A626
Carrier: Verizon

BES does not have per CPU licensing. If it did though, it would be based on the number of CPUs assigned to the VM. We run ours in a VM with no trouble.

BES was decommissioned. Currently using iPhones with Lotus Notes Traveler 9.0.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Hello -

BES is licensed per server (that runs the BES) and user CALs are per user. Also the annual maintenance is calculated per BES server and per User. This is no CPU licensing that I have seen.

Domino is licensed per Processor Value Unit. PVU licensing replaces the old per-processor licensing model IBM used to use. IBM has always counted "cores" not "sockets" IIRC. You basically take the old licensing prices, then divide the per-processor price by 100. That gives you PVU prices. IBM has a table somewhere (I found this one)

IBM Processor Value Unit [PVU] licensing for Distributed Software

The older single core Xeon chips are 100 units per core/socket, The multi-core chips prior to "Gainestown" (some mistakenly refer to these server chips as "Nehalem" which is the desktop version) are 50 PVU per core. The newer Gainestown chips are 70 PVU per core.

I don't think IBM has separate licensing for virtualization. I guess if you're using 2 cores of prior gen tech, you'll license 2x50PVU=100PVU. If you're using 2 cores of the current generation tech, you'll license 2x70PVU=140PVU.

I think you also have to buy PVUs in some minimum quantity (100 PVU?) and minimum increment (+/- 100 PVU ?). Your IBM/Lotus VAR would know for sure.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
Stainless Steele
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

Wow some good domino info thanks!
300 devices
Closed Thread