BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
Roundtable

Model: 8310
PIN: 209955C9
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default modifying Peer to Peer ecryption Key on Blackberry Professional Software 4.1.4.3

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I am at my wits end. This all started with our inability to communicate via messenger (PIN) with other Blackberry users.

We have staff that can PIN themselves but cannot PIN other people outside our network. We’ve gone through the steps in an attempt to correct this with our local provider (ROGERS) We’ve re-set all the devices, we’ve re-installed all the Desktop Managers (latest versions) and still, we cannot fix this issue.

One of the Rogers technicians advised us that we would need to change/modify the peer to peer encryption key, however, we cannot find a way to do so in the software we are using (Blackberry Professional Software 4.1.4.3)

Can you direct me to the appropriate menu/location in order to be able to allow our staff to use the PIN function and the use of Blackberry Messenger?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, I've serached the BB (RIM) site,othe BB site and this site already. As for the BB (RIM) site, they have the same question asked but no answers are given.
I have seen this KB12121 fromthe BB (RIM) site but this is for Enterprise not Professional and our IT guys can't seem to find a way to change it.

I called BB Support and they want to cahrge us $249 US just for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks again!

Juan
Old 10-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

That KB should also apply to BPS. Give it a try.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Hard to see how it could apply to BPS since BPS doesn't have the ability to select Blackberry Domain (that I can find). Nor have I found a way to set the PIN encryption key in with the UI.

I'm wondering how you got yourself in this mess. Did the Blackberries come from some other management domain that used unique PIN keys?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Roundtable

Not sure. My BB is new and came straight from Rogers. There sems to be an IT policy preventing us from using PIN's with other Blackberrys. I tried to PIN my wife and my friend (haha, very funny)

My wife is with TELUS but my friend is also with ROGERS wireless. No matter what I try, I canno PIN them or anyone else for that matter. I can't even use my BB Messenger or Google messenger.

Odly enough though, I can SMS and MMS...
Old 10-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Roundtable

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
That KB should also apply to BPS. Give it a try.

Apparetly the IT guys can't find a way to do it using KB12121. Different menus or displays or something of the sort.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Did you have SBE at one point and upgrade to BPS.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
hrbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundtable View Post
Not sure. My BB is new and came straight from Rogers. There sems to be an IT policy preventing us from using PIN's with other Blackberrys. I tried to PIN my wife and my friend (haha, very funny)

My wife is with TELUS but my friend is also with ROGERS wireless. No matter what I try, I canno PIN them or anyone else for that matter. I can't even use my BB Messenger or Google messenger.

Odly enough though, I can SMS and MMS...
I find this very strange. If the phones are new I can't see how the keys can have been changed. My BPS is a clean install of the product, and I don't see any way to access that functionallity, though I have seen in on our full BES system.

So back to basics, this is Rogers we are talking about after all. Can you confirm with them that your Blackberries are activated for BIS and BES access? BB Messager data is carrier by PIN messages, so no suprise there, Google Talk is a RIM application and requires BIS-B access (as does PIN, push email, web client...). SMS is part of the phone functionallity, nothing to do with Blackberry, unless I'm mistaken MMS is WAP2.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
Roundtable

I've talked to a couple of the guys at Rogers and with the first one, I went through a hard reset as well as a re-start of the phone on their end (according to him, all phone data was reset)

He tried getting me to PIN him and that didn't work. I was albe to receive his PINs but not to reply.

He is the one that told me about the encryption key - Then I found out we don't use BES but BPS and our IT guys cannot find their way to the encryption key.

So, I phoned ROGERS back and the second Tech said that it might be my either phone or my phone's card (the little one that identifies the phone, sorry, can't remember the exact name right now)

I can PIN myself and others in our domain, just can't PIN outside peeps.

Also, not all the phones are new. Just mine. Interestingly enough, I was not able to PIN with the old phone (also a BB 8310) either.

Grrr...so everything else seems to check out and I have no problems with anything else, just PINs.

Ahhhhh....I am going insane.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:29 AM   #9
mqazi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: 211C331E
Carrier: Telenor

HI,

Once i faced the issue but I do not think it will apply here. I would mention it anyways.

I was setting up BES for a carrier environment and their BES had the SRP keys from the test NOC. They could not send PINs but recieve them.

I tried using trial SRP keys and it worked fine. Once the carrier moved to the production keys, this issue was resolved.

It MIGHT be a long shot, but will it be possible to obtain trial keys for BPS, change them on your BlackBerry Manager, and then test.

P.s You can regenerate encryption keys from your device. Go to Options>Security Options>General Settings. Browse to the Services area, press the BlackBerry menu button and choose Regenerate Encryption Keys.

Let me know if it works.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
hrbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqazi View Post
HI,

P.s You can regenerate encryption keys from your device. Go to Options>Security Options>General Settings. Browse to the Services area, press the BlackBerry menu button and choose Regenerate Encryption Keys.

Let me know if it works.
Not the same keys the OP is having a problem with.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
hrbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundtable View Post
I've talked to a couple of the guys at Rogers and with the first one, I went through a hard reset as well as a re-start of the phone on their end (according to him, all phone data was reset)

He tried getting me to PIN him and that didn't work. I was albe to receive his PINs but not to reply.

He is the one that told me about the encryption key - Then I found out we don't use BES but BPS and our IT guys cannot find their way to the encryption key.

So, I phoned ROGERS back and the second Tech said that it might be my either phone or my phone's card (the little one that identifies the phone, sorry, can't remember the exact name right now)

I can PIN myself and others in our domain, just can't PIN outside peeps.

Also, not all the phones are new. Just mine. Interestingly enough, I was not able to PIN with the old phone (also a BB 8310) either.

Grrr...so everything else seems to check out and I have no problems with anything else, just PINs.

Ahhhhh....I am going insane.
We may be getting somewhere. Is your SIM card (the little one that identifies the phone) old. When I go my Bold I just popped in the SIM card I got with my first Rogers GSM phone. It had worked in my 8700, 8800 and 8820 so I didn't expect any problems. Initially it seemed to work OK (I didn't do any tests), but over time I noticed things not working. It turned out my old SIM didn't support the new network. In this case the 3G was the issue, but Rogers has been upgrading their networks. If a Rogers tech thinks it may be the SIM card, then maybe you should get them to configure a new one on your account. SIM cards do occasionally fail as well.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
Roundtable

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
Not the same keys the OP is having a problem with.
Nope, didn't work...thanks for the infor anyway.

I'll keep trying other things...
Old 10-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
sdecosse

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: MTS

I have the exact same problem!!

We were running Blackberry Enterprise, which our vendor provided us with but we had a limit of 10 devices. I had setup Corporate Peer-to-Peer encryption keys during this time

We were then provided with a "update" which was really Blackberry Professional, which allowed us to go over 10 keys for cheaper so said our provider. Well this worked, and our phones work etc, but now i no longer have the peer-to-peer encryption options!! And it appears our devices are still using the Corporate keys to communicate..

Also looking for a solution!
Closed Thread