Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
Hatchy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers
Default Upgrading an Application via BES Push

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there. I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

We recently deployed an application for a client, using .cod/.alx files (via a BES push). The BES is version 4.1.6 for Domino.

We later had to upgrade the application, again, using .cod/.alx files. The file names were RENAMED for the upgrade, from helloWorld01.cod/hellowWorld01.alx to helloWorld02.cod/hellowWorld02.alx. The Internal project name remained the same. The BES did NOT recognize this as an "upgrade", and pushed out a second application.

I haven't seen any documentation from RIM which states that this isn't supported.

When I deploy the exact same application via a URL download (using .cod/.jad files), the application upgrades fine (even with renamed .cod/.jad files). The device does in fact recognize the application as an "upgrade" (same internal file name) and it works fine. I would have expected the BES to handle this the same way.

Thanks for any insight!
Old 10-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Please do not double post.

Second thread closed with no comments.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/deve...-bes-push.html

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 10-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

To get the BES to push it as an update you have to increment the version number in the ALX file. I don't know what changing the file names would do to a BES push, never tried it, but file names are largely irrelevant for an OTA load since they are really just a location reference for the web server.

For what it is worth what I've noticed:
OTA: displays version data from the JAD file, but uses the version data from the COD file
DM: displays the version data from the ALX file, but seems to only worry about the version data from the COD file
BES: display and uses the version data from the ALX file
Kind of makes sense if you think about it. OTA only worries about one COD file (or group of associated files). The DM may have to deal with multiple CODs in a package (for multiple versions of devices) but is only dealing with one device at a time. The BES has to handle multiple devices of probably multiple versions.

I've gone through many compile/load cycles with my dev hardware only to load the new package on the BES, having forgotten to increment the ALX version, and wait for hours until smacking my forehead and fixing it.

Last edited by hrbuckley; 10-14-2009 at 03:07 PM..
Closed Thread