BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
Dan Barry

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Pearl (8100) won't answer call in Standby mode

Please Login to Remove!

I have a continuing issue with the BB Pearl not allowing me to answer calls when it is in Standby Mode. The call shows up and I can see the Answer/Ignore options. I can even scroll between them, but pressing the Pearl does nothing. All I can do is wait for it to roll to voicemail and then call them back. it seems I usually have to press the Mute key to bring it out of Standby mode and then can do what I need to. In other words, after the call rolls to voicemail I still cannot select anything by pressing the Pearl until I press the Mute key and go back into Standby mode and then press it again to come back out. Yes, I have rebooted numerous times and I've removed the battery, etc.

Anyone have a similar problem or any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions. I love the BB Pearl. I've had older BBs a long time ago and had have several Treos (Palm & Windows). The BB Pearl rocks!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

If you are in standby (i.e., you put it in standby mode, vs. using sleep mode as in the holster with the magnet), I think it is correct that calls do not come through. The BB will still awake for calendar appointments or alarms. I could be wrong.

someone will correct me if wrong.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Mine doesnt answer from standby mode either. Idk what RIM was thinking there.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
stertyn

This is probably a stupid question, but instead of using the pearl to scroll between options, have you tried simply pressing the green answer button? This is what I do when calls come in while in standby mode and it has always worked for me. When you hang up it should go back into standby mode.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
aaronk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stertyn
This is probably a stupid question, but instead of using the pearl to scroll between options, have you tried simply pressing the green answer button? This is what I do when calls come in while in standby mode and it has always worked for me. When you hang up it should go back into standby mode.
When my phone is in standby I do the same and it works no problem. I always use the keys to answer as well. Although I believe it works using the trackball too, but I can't remember off the top of my head.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
BigPotato1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q20
PIN: 2C202669
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I was under the impression that it would accept calls.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
churchill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 2423A5E5
Carrier: tmobile

Mine accepts calls, vibrates and triggers my bluetooth. What it doesnt to is answer automatically, so I either need to hit the button on my bt or pull it from the holster and answer with the the answer/ignore option. Same for my emails, it will vibrate and chime, not ignore them. I believe there is a setting on security/key or advanced apps that lets you control that behaviour. Im sure of it in terms of answering calls when hosltered in standby.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:19 AM   #8
tran_man

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

I know your pain. My pearl used to be able to answer calls coming out of standby but then all of a sudden, I had the same problem you are having. Now the problem is intermittent and it pisses me off. As far as I know, no solution exists...I started another thread about this not too long ago...I can't post the link because of the number of posts I have. There isn't much more useful stuff in that thread but at least it's more to read.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:34 AM   #9
Dan Barry

Sorry, yes, I can't answer by pressing the green phone button either. The BB doesn't respond to anything I do until the incoming call ends and then the only thing that seems to work is pressing mute to go back into Standby mode and then pressing it again to come out at which time the BB wakes up and allows me to do anything I want.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:37 AM   #10
Dan Barry

Also, my BB used to answer calls from Standby mode and it still does sometimes but not all the time. Thanks for all the responses. At least I know I'm not alone and I'm not losing my mind. Well, at least not about this issue. :o)
Old 04-05-2007, 08:34 AM   #11
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

I still think there is some great confusion between the differences of "standby" mode and "sleep" mode. Putting your BB in your holster does not put it in "Standby" mode, but rather in "sleep" mode.

Of course, it could be I who is confused...
Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #12
wosik

Model: 7100g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Optus

Are there any updates for this one?? Maybe a version change or something?? I have about 30 users and this works for some but not others which is very annoying!!

If someone has any idea's that would be great!!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:46 PM   #13
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
When my phone is in standby I do the same and it works no problem. I always use the keys to answer as well. Although I believe it works using the trackball too, but I can't remember off the top of my head.
Mine works too, keys or trackball, unless I happened to have pressed the mute button while listening to music before the call comes in. Then the BB behaves like the OP described.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:02 AM   #14
Shishkabob87
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: Sig

Not to take it too far off track here but what is the point of having the phone in standby mode? Why not just lock the keypad and pocket it? Once the keypad locks it blacks the screen out and you don't have the persistent problem of being unable to answer calls..although that has worked just fine for me...
Old 10-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #15
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shishkabob87 View Post
Not to take it too far off track here but what is the point of having the phone in standby mode? Why not just lock the keypad and pocket it? Once the keypad locks it blacks the screen out and you don't have the persistent problem of being unable to answer calls..although that has worked just fine for me...
For me it's just easier to "lock" and "unlock" the phone with the mute/standby button at the top than to go find the one or two keys on the keypad. Plus the screen doesn't light up prompting to unlock every time the scrollball or a key happens to get pressed while the phone is in my pocket. But then again the mute/standby button works properly for me...
Old 10-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #16
pbkiller

Carrier: att

Well, mine has no problems what so ever. I even tried it, i put it into standyby mode, pressed the top button, it went into standby mode, made a call from another phone, received it, answered it, no problems. the trackball was working, green button, red button to deny it. perfect
Old 10-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #17
wosik

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Optus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shishkabob87 View Post

That's what I said to my users but they said that they would prefer if they could put their phones in standby mode rather then just locking it. I guess if it works it works and if it doesn't then too bad. Will have to pass this info onto my users.
Closed Thread